AEV Heat Reduction Hood? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
RGR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 46
AEV Heat Reduction Hood?

I'm looking for an American Expeditionary Vehicles (AEV) heat reduction hood for my 2003 Rubicon. Anyone out there know where I can find one?

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-50561839.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	23439  

RGR42 is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
pakman55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The 363
Posts: 4,803
Send a message via Yahoo to pakman55
Unfortunately, the only way to buy the kit from a retailer is to buy the Highline kit.

__________________
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
pakman55 is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
MTWanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 187
Send a message via AIM to MTWanderer
Rockmen sells the hood (independent of the AEV Highline kit), but as Pakman indicates, it will only fit correctly with highline fenders.
MTWanderer is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 7,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWanderer View Post
Rockmen sells the hood (independent of the AEV Highline kit), but as Pakman indicates, it will only fit correctly with highline fenders.
Not necessarily just the Highlines. Rokmen, T&T Customs, Gen-Right, and a few others all make high clearance fenders that will work with the AEV Heat Reduction Hoods. And they all look better than the AEV Highline Fenders, IMO.....
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
MTWanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 187
Send a message via AIM to MTWanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediverjc View Post
Not necessarily just the Highlines. Rokmen, T&T Customs, Gen-Right, and a few others all make high clearance fenders that will work with the AEV Heat Reduction Hoods. And they all look better than the AEV Highline Fenders, IMO.....
You said what I meant!
MTWanderer is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediverjc View Post
Not necessarily just the Highlines. Rokmen, T&T Customs, Gen-Right, and a few others all make high clearance fenders that will work with the AEV Heat Reduction Hoods. And they all look better than the AEV Highline Fenders, IMO.....
Nothin can beat 2.5 inches of lift and 40" tires
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
RGR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakman55
Unfortunately, the only way to buy the kit from a retailer is to buy the Highline kit.
Yeah I know about the Highline kit but I'm really happy with the look I've got as far as the fenders go. I'll have to check out the other shops some folks have mentioned.
RGR42 is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
That WF guy.

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
distortedtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: yep right there.
Posts: 21,444
Send a message via Yahoo to distortedtj
Also if you don't want to drop close to $800 to $1000 for the AEV hood take a look at installing hood louvers.

Genright makes some nice one's at a decent price.....

Genright Hood Louvers
distortedtj is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 34,792
Images: 2
Why do you believe you need a heat reduction hood? For looks?
__________________
...Gone wheeling, back Sunday night.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
RGR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Why do you believe you need a heat reduction hood? For looks?
I run hot. I have done the high flow pump and be cool radiator. I get vapor lock on cylinder 4 when I turn it off hot and try to restart after 10 mins. I already responded to the recall service recommendation. Any ideas?
RGR42 is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
RGR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedtj
Also if you don't want to drop close to $800 to $1000 for the AEV hood take a look at installing hood louvers.

Genright makes some nice one's at a decent price.....

Genright Hood Louvers
Do you know where I can see the finished product? This seems like a good solution.
RGR42 is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 34,792
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR42 View Post
I run hot. I have done the high flow pump and be cool radiator. I get vapor lock on cylinder 4 when I turn it off hot and try to restart after 10 mins. I already responded to the recall service recommendation. Any ideas?
So your fuel injector area is now lined with the aluminum heat shield material? What temperature is your engine running at when it vapor locks? How are you determining that it is experiencing a true vapor lock?
__________________
...Gone wheeling, back Sunday night.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
yjkid95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Great Lakes, Illinios.
Posts: 1,851
I strongly believe jerry is right. No offense intended but it seems like your idea of hood louvers or the aev heat reduction hood is just a expensive bandaid to the problem that may not even work. Instead of spending so much money on modifying your stock hood, or getting the aev heat reduction hood why dont you just fix the mechanical problem that you are having?
yjkid95 is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
That WF guy.

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
distortedtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: yep right there.
Posts: 21,444
Send a message via Yahoo to distortedtj
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR42 View Post
Do you know where I can see the finished product? This seems like a good solution.
There is no "finished" product as a hood precut and the louvers in it. You have to do it yourself.
distortedtj is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
RGR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
So your fuel injector area is now lined with the aluminum heat shield material? What temperature is your engine running at when it vapor locks? How are you determining that it is experiencing a true vapor lock?
About 210. The dealership hooked it up and said it's vapor lock.
RGR42 is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
RGR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 46
Update. I had my HID headlights replaced with H4's which resulted in a whole bunch of wiring being removed. Part of that wiring included a completed melted fuse that was supplying my electric fan. It must have been arcing under the hood because the fan was still working (maybe not really well!). After replacing all those wires the Jeep is running a good bit cooler and seems to have lost the hot start issues.

I'd still like an AEV hood, so if any of you know where I can get one.......
RGR42 is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 7,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR42 View Post
Update. I had my HID headlights replaced with H4's which resulted in a whole bunch of wiring being removed. Part of that wiring included a completed melted fuse that was supplying my electric fan. It must have been arcing under the hood because the fan was still working (maybe not really well!). After replacing all those wires the Jeep is running a good bit cooler and seems to have lost the hot start issues.

I'd still like an AEV hood, so if any of you know where I can get one.......
Go to Rokmen's website. I believe they sell the AEV hood you're wanting. I don't have a link saved to my computer, but I'm sure you can Google it.
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ring side seats to the the country's largest circus
Posts: 28,193
Send a message via AIM to schnutzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediverjc View Post
Go to Rokmen's website. I believe they sell the AEV hood you're wanting. I don't have a link saved to my computer, but I'm sure you can Google it.
hehe, but i do. well kinda.
Rokmen - AEV Hood
__________________
clinging on to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
schnutzy is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
RGR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 46
How bout a non hi-line version?
RGR42 is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Jeepersbatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR42

I run hot. I have done the high flow pump and be cool radiator. I get vapor lock on cylinder 4 when I turn it off hot and try to restart after 10 mins. I already responded to the recall service recommendation. Any ideas?
My 01 does the same thing when its above 90 outside. Ive insulated injector 3 which helped some but not completely. Ive been eyeing the aev also or thought about an elecric fan with a time delay off that will cool for a few minutes after it is turned off. The vaporlock is a PIA.
Jeepersbatman is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ring side seats to the the country's largest circus
Posts: 28,193
Send a message via AIM to schnutzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR42 View Post
How bout a non hi-line version?
AEV does not make a non hi clearance version. you could always ask them what the possibility of making one would be. but if its just a one off, its going to be very expensive.

if you really want it, and AEV doesnt want to make a non hi line version, you could take their hi line version and add on to it.
__________________
clinging on to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
schnutzy is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
RGR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 46
AEV used to make the non hi-line version but discontinued it after the shift to JK. They are out there, I just need to locate one!
RGR42 is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
RGR42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepersbatman

My 01 does the same thing when its above 90 outside. Ive insulated injector 3 which helped some but not completely. Ive been eyeing the aev also or thought about an elecric fan with a time delay off that will cool for a few minutes after it is turned off. The vaporlock is a PIA.
I have an electric fan and tried the delay, but they screwed up and it wouldn't shut off!!
RGR42 is offline   Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Jeepersbatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR42

I have an electric fan and tried the delay, but they screwed up and it wouldn't shut off!!
Fortunately im an electrician so i should be able to do that, only time will tell!!! Thats going to be my winter project . Ive heard somewhere a guy installed a ford taurus fan and added a bypass switch that he would run while driving when it was hot outside. Anybody have any other good ideas?

Jeepersbatman is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing Rubicon hood decals Kate TJ General Discussion Forum 40 11-16-2013 05:28 PM
Best homemade Hi-lift jack hood mount! hannahuffster Builders Corner 3 08-11-2010 09:31 PM
98 TJ too much heat!!! Oldfart TJ Tech Forum 15 07-06-2010 11:10 PM
Any HVAC technicians here? mrcarcrazy Off-Topic 19 02-05-2010 02:23 PM
Daystar's new JK Hood Wrangler 1BLKJP JK General Discussion Forum 10 06-20-2008 09:26 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC