After night wheeling thru creek, new issues. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
98TJSahara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Eden, NY
Posts: 218
After night wheeling thru creek, new issues.

While wheeling at night last weekend whenever i hit soft ground (creek bed, 3-4' of water) the TC would pop out. Is this common. It's about the most serious wheelin I have done. It was a pretty sucsessful trip, except I had a to have Yahmaha Rhino pull me out of 4+' of water. Also, now my aligment is off.... sway bar? linkage? what did i do there? It looks ok to the naked eye. It doesnt pull right but the steering wheel is turned 50-60 degrees right.

98TJSahara is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
MOz
Jeeper
 
MOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Poconos
Posts: 2,484
You probably bent your tie-rod bar. Time to upgrade to a more rugged component and re-align the front end.

My TC disengages once in a while.. I have not gotten around to fix it. I believe it's a linkage adjustment

__________________


It ain't no fun unless you get some of it on you.
MOz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,170
Images: 2
Yep as Moz said, there's a 99% chance you bent the tie rod... 1% chance you bent the drag link. So far as the transfer case popping out, that's just an adjustment on the linkage that has slipped a tad. Get underneath and remove the t-case skidplate after supporting the tranny first with a jack. Then have someone work the t-case shifter while you look to see how it works and you'll then discover the one adjustment that needs to be made. It's made after loosening a single bolt that is supposed to hold the adjustment but sometimes slips.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Burlington WI
Posts: 67
You may also want to check to make sure your axle is centered under the frame. A bent track bar will cause the steering wheel to be off.
BlackE1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
GrnTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 1,497
Send a message via AIM to GrnTJ
I agree with everything Jerry said except for one point. You dont need to remove the skid to see the linkage that needs to be adjusted. Thats an extra step that would make the adjustment easier but it isnt really necessary (I did not reomve mine when the t-case needed adjustment). Besides that, get yourself some HD steering!
__________________
99' TJ-SOLD

Without a Jeep for now...
GrnTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,170
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnTJ View Post
I agree with everything Jerry said except for one point. You dont need to remove the skid to see the linkage that needs to be adjusted. Thats an extra step that would make the adjustment easier but it isnt really necessary (I did not reomve mine when the t-case needed adjustment).
That very well could be, I haven't run the factory skidplate in 5 years so it probably gives adequate access to that area as you say. I have to remove mine for pretty much anything I do down there since it's so big. It's a real PITA to get it (Rubicon Express longarm skidplate) off too.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
GrnTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 1,497
Send a message via AIM to GrnTJ
Yea, you are deff. right about that. Aftermarket skids that are used w/ long arm kits (I have the FT long arms) dont leave any room to get in there but the stock one does. So unless you have la's or an aftermarket belly up skid or something like that you should be fine.
__________________
99' TJ-SOLD

Without a Jeep for now...
GrnTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
tazmann910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 2,143
Send a message via AIM to tazmann910 Send a message via Yahoo to tazmann910
Look who is talking...master of redneck tie-rods....

You are one of the few who has steering that matches the color of your jeep...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnTJ View Post
I agree with everything Jerry said except for one point. You dont need to remove the skid to see the linkage that needs to be adjusted. Thats an extra step that would make the adjustment easier but it isnt really necessary (I did not reomve mine when the t-case needed adjustment). Besides that, get yourself some HD steering!

__________________
03 TJ with a bunch of upgrades...
Off The Map 4 Wheel Drive Club.
tazmann910 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tuttle Creek ORV Park Rally on the 5th of July cavediverjc On The Trail 11 07-03-2008 01:40 AM
YO Spring 2006 Wheeling Review jeeptales On The Trail 5 05-01-2006 01:12 PM
More South Texas Wheeling jeeptales On The Trail 6 04-01-2006 03:56 PM
night run in australia H.G General Jeep Discussion 6 01-30-2006 07:54 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC