Airbags deploy while wheeling? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Tyr4nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Columbus Indiana
Posts: 153
Airbags deploy while wheeling?

Hey guys, I did a quick search in the TJ threads and didn't see anything about it so I guess no worries BUT I'll ask any way...

Has anyone had their airbags deploy while wheeling?

By this I mean from a jarring incident in the Jeep that wasn't an actual "wreck" per-se?

Tyr4nt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 7,163
Takes about an impact of around 25mph for the front airbags to deploy if i remember right. Smackin a rock going 3mph isnt going to pop it

krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
clarksofky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 28
I just pull the fuses to be safe. Easily marked behind the glove box.
__________________
I am NOT SPOILED....MY husband just loves me!
clarksofky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,459
The airbags are controlled by a computer that uses an accelerometer as input. It has to be a head on collision of a certain force for the bags to deploy. Unless you're doing go fast racing and run into something head on you are NOT going to set off the airbags off road.
__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,864
Images: 2
There is no need to disable the air bags by removing the fuses. They are enabled only by a violent forward impact which causes a steel ball to be forced forward into a tapered rearward-facing slot. That sensor is located under the console at the very front in front of the shifter. No amount of up-down bouncing/jarring/shocks will set it off. There are a whole bunch of wheelers who take their TJs on the wildest/toughest/roughest rock crawling trails in the U.S. and no one bothers to disable their airbags even on those.

If it goes off, you experienced a violent forward impact and you will be glad it went off.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry bransford View Post
there is no need to disable the air bags by removing the fuses. They are enabled only by a violent forward impact which causes a steel ball to be forced forward into a tapered rearward-facing slot. That sensor is located under the console at the very front in front of the shifter. No amount of up-down bouncing/jarring/shocks will set it off. There are a whole bunch of wheelers who take their tjs on the wildest/toughest/roughest rock crawling trails in the u.s. And no one bothers to disable their airbags even on those.

If it goes off, you experienced a violent forward impact and you will be glad it went off.
x2
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
I like Jeeps...

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,025
I was droving maybe 10mph when I turned off a gravel path to avoid a cow at my friends ranch. Because of the tall grass I didn't see a pretty big hole. My front right tire fell right in and slammed my jeep hard enough that my friends head hit the dash and my mouth hit the steering wheel. No airbags. Guess we weren't going fast enough or simply not enough G's to activate them. These airbags were designed with 4wheeling in mind
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife View Post
I was droving maybe 10mph when I turned off a gravel path to avoid a cow at my friends ranch. Because of the tall grass I didn't see a pretty big hole. My front right tire fell right in and slammed my jeep hard enough that my friends head hit the dash and my mouth hit the steering wheel. No airbags. Guess we weren't going fast enough or simply not enough G's to activate them. These airbags were designed with 4wheeling in mind

Sounds like you also weren't wearing your seatbelts, in which case you're lucky the airbags didn't go off.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
DarrenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 187
Send a message via Skype™ to DarrenT
If it hit that hard then I would not be worried about the ding in the grid, but more so about knackering the steering/suspension components.....
DarrenT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
I like Jeeps...

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00g7 View Post

Sounds like you also weren't wearing your seatbelts, in which case you're lucky the airbags didn't go off.
We were thanks I think it was at the point where it wasn't hard enough or fast enough that they locked up but was hard enough that it kinda threw us forward. We didn't hit hard or anything, but it did surprise me the airbags didn't go off and seatbelts didn't hold us back. Steering all good, that was the first thing I checked after it happened. Being a new driver I was pretty freaked out but that was over a year ago.

Sorry for bringing the thread so off course!
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
BigDaddyAt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife View Post
Sorry for bringing the thread so off course!
If we wanted to stay "on course"...we wouldn't own Jeeps
BigDaddyAt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife View Post
We were thanks I think it was at the point where it wasn't hard enough or fast enough that they locked up but was hard enough that it kinda threw us forward. We didn't hit hard or anything, but it did surprise me the airbags didn't go off and seatbelts didn't hold us back. Steering all good, that was the first thing I checked after it happened. Being a new driver I was pretty freaked out but that was over a year ago.

Sorry for bringing the thread so off course!
Did you check your belts? Mine lock up very easily. I plan on getting a harness eventually so I don't flop out if I roll it
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
I like Jeeps...

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00g7 View Post

Did you check your belts? Mine lock up very easily. I plan on getting a harness eventually so I don't flop out if I roll it
I've noticed that are harder to force lock when I pull down fast than other cars, but being my first jeep I just figured it was all part of that 5 star safety rating Maybe the mechanism is dirty and stuff. I've taken apart seat belt mechanisms before on my friends JK after they locked up from mud so I may check mine out soon. Seatbelts that work are helpful...
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,864
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife View Post
I've noticed that are harder to force lock when I pull down fast than other cars...
The type of seatbelts installed into our Wranglers don't lock up by being pulled out fast. You could pull the strap out at Superman speed & it wouldn't lock.

They instead have a locking mechanism that uses a steel ball in a cup design that only locks them up when the Jeep stops abruptly enough for the ball to move out of the cup enough to lock the belt up. Which also means unfortunately that they can and do lock up from the Jeep simply being on a steep enough trail which is why I added aux 3" lap seat belts.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The type of seatbelts installed into our Wranglers don't lock up by being pulled out fast. You could pull the strap out at Superman speed & it wouldn't lock.

They instead have a locking mechanism that uses a steel ball in a cup design that only locks them up when the Jeep stops abruptly enough for the ball to move out of the cup enough to lock the belt up. Which also means unfortunately that they can and do lock up from the Jeep simply being on a steep enough trail which is why I added aux 3" laps seat belts.
Man...I HATE that
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Tyr4nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Columbus Indiana
Posts: 153
Thanks for all the thoughts and comments guys! I figured it wasn't a big deal since I couldn't find a thread about it, but I thought, since I had the question -- I'd ask!

Tyr4nt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC