Any advice on pulling out my jeep? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #31
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H
If you've got access to another truck and a good tow strap, I wouldn't even mess with airing down, throwing gravel under the tires, etc. Just pull it out............
Had a truck, just not a strap but a some what short chain. My dad insisted on using it, I told him I'd rather call a tow truck then get both of us stuck or break something, because that's where it looked like it was heading.

DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconvict05
Whatever you do DO NOT snatch it out. Take a small chain with "pig knuckles" on it and run it from frame rail to frame rail so it makes a hooking point. Park your recovery vehicle on a solid purchase and run a tow strap between the two and connect them then slowly PULL your jeep out. I repeat again, DO NOT snatch it out.
I am a tow and recovery driver and see the most damage done when a vehicle is being snatched out. If this doesn't work then call a tow company that has a vehicle with a winch and straps, tell them what's going on so they know how to proceed if they end up stuck it will not be good.
I know about the horrors or trying to use speed to free a jeep and made sure my dad and grandpa didn't try to jerk it out with a chain. Looks like a tow truck will be in order.

DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2070
Ask one of the construction workers to pull you out. Sounds like they don't have anything better to do since its taken them an extra 6 months on the bridge!
They're no where to be found! He bridge is untouched, and in good shape, but apparently it's just about to collapse.
DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #34
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Soon short, the concrete blocks only got me moving an inch in both directions. I dug out the front end but that didn't really help. The left front and right rear tires couldn't find traction. I'd kill for some lockers right about now...
So after and hour and a half I. The mud I called a tow truck. But it's going to take them three hours. If only it hadn't happens at night, I could have picked a better line.
DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #35
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconvict05 View Post
Whatever you do DO NOT snatch it out. Take a small chain with "pig knuckles" on it and run it from frame rail to frame rail so it makes a hooking point. Park your recovery vehicle on a solid purchase and run a tow strap between the two and connect them then slowly PULL your jeep out. I repeat again, DO NOT snatch it out.
I am a tow and recovery driver and see the most damage done when a vehicle is being snatched out. If this doesn't work then call a tow company that has a vehicle with a winch and straps, tell them what's going on so they know how to proceed if they end up stuck it will not be good.
Snatch straps work wonders..

Nothing wrong with a 15,000lb rated ARB snatch strap and 4.75T crosby shackles mounted to secure mounts and you can snatch all you want.

To the OP, get some better tires :P
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #36
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 477
From the looks of it, this is an easy recovery job, get the straps or long chain(I don't recommend long chain) but have the truck on the pavement. This should get you out. Maybe save you some money too. Man, I wish i was down there I'd come get you out.
__________________
It's a Jeep thing
rubiconvict05 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #37
Jeeper
 
aelwero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Bliss TX
Posts: 1,669
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper View Post
Soon short, the concrete blocks only got me moving an inch in both directions. I dug out the front end but that didn't really help. The left front and right rear tires couldn't find traction. I'd kill for some lockers right about now...
So after and hour and a half I. The mud I called a tow truck. But it's going to take them three hours. If only it hadn't happens at night, I could have picked a better line.
you're off camber on flat ground lol. look at the tire height in the fender wells... a cinder block under the right rear tire might allow you to simply back out of that. Any time you tilt the axles in separate directions like that without lockers, it gets very hard to find traction. aligning the axles helps a lot.
__________________
'71 DJ-5 (that isn't a typo)
'10 JKU Sport RHD

RHD... it's a jeep thing
aelwero is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #38
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconvict05
From the looks of it, this is an easy recovery job, get the straps or long chain(I don't recommend long chain) but have the truck on the pavement. This should get you out. Maybe save you some money too. Man, I wish i was down there I'd come get you out.
I have the truck just not the straps.
DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #39
Jeeper
 
Thomas302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern, NM
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper

I have the truck just not the straps.
Try this. Make sure the jeep is not sitting on the frame or control arm mounts. If it is dig it out. Air down all your tires to around 12psi. Put it in 4 lo in reverse that will be your lowest crawl ratio. Put a few clicks up on your parking brake to apply some resistance to the pesky spinning tire. That should allow some torque to be applied to the other tire. Then slowly back out. Do not spin the tires use the torque to pull you out. It may work you don't look to deep. If that doesn't work alone buy a strap and do that with someone slowly pulling on you from the road. Good luck.
__________________
Military Jeepers
Southern New Mexico
Sacramento Chapter
Thomas302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #40
572
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 129
No way I'd waste money on a tow truck when someone from the local Jeep club would actually enjoy pulling you out.

If all you need is a strap I'm sure someone from the Jeep club would bring one to you.
572 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas302

Try this. Make sure the jeep is not sitting on the frame or control arm mounts. If it is dig it out. Air down all your tires to around 12psi. Put it in 4 lo in reverse that will be your lowest crawl ratio. Put a few clicks up on your parking brake to apply some resistance to the pesky spinning tire. That should allow some torque to be applied to the other tire. Then slowly back out. Do not spin the tires use the torque to pull you out. It may work you don't look to deep. If that doesn't work alone buy a strap and do that with someone slowly pulling on you from the road. Good luck.
I tried all of that, but it didn't work. Got her out with a tow truck. As embarrassing as that is..
DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,738
Images: 3
I must be missing something here. That looks like an easy situation to get out of with a simple tow strap and a tug. Looks like plenty of room to do this from just about any angle. You need to get some better tires for the Jeep as well.
530ktm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #43
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Anything I should look for to see if anything is damaged? What's commonly broken by being pulled out of the mud? The guy used the factory tow hooks and it came right out no problem.
DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #44
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,984
Check your pride, and your wallet!
TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Check your pride, and your wallet!
Both seem to be missing
DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,738
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Check your pride, and your wallet!
530ktm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan

Snatch straps work wonders..

Nothing wrong with a 15,000lb rated ARB snatch strap and 4.75T crosby shackles mounted to secure mounts and you can snatch all you want.

To the OP, get some better tires :P
Yep, with a proper snatch strap, damage is far less likely than using a chain, and far more effective.
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper View Post
I tried all of that, but it didn't work. Got her out with a tow truck. As embarrassing as that is..
Did you go join
Louisiana Offroad like I said? There are plenty of guys right there in Baton Rouge on the site that would enjoy pulling that thing out. Hell, the owner of the site doesn't live far from Baton Rouge.

You just join the site like you did here, post in the local emergency thread that you are stuck and anyone in your area that is "watching" the thread will get an email. For instance, I watch the one for my area, if someone posted in the NOLA/Metairie/Kenner area that they were stuck I would get a notice on my phone through my email since I subscribe to it. I could then respond and go help you.
Here is the BR link.
http://www.louisianaoffroad.com/thre...-thread.41934/
Someone would come help and you wouldn't have to pay a tow truck.


Who knows, you may even make a new friend. I don't know what to tell you if you don't want to use the tools that the 4x4 community has put out there.

Another nice feature of the site is that all of the Southeast Louisiana 4x4 clubs use it to plan rides. You could come along on a few of those rides, make friends and learn a few things from people that know how to get out mud.
Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #49
Newb
 
cameltowing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11
I have been stuck like that before and actually I've gotten out by cleaning the mud out of the trend of my tires with a rock or stick. had to do it like 6 times but try not to spend your tires
cameltowing is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
Rubicon06Va's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Forest, Va
Posts: 527
Send a message via AIM to Rubicon06Va
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper View Post
Both seem to be missing

, A Tow Truck?
Rubicon06Va is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,912
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper View Post
Thanks guys, the main problem was the thick clay filled mud turned my a/T's to slicks. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Your same situation happened to me many years ago in my Samuri. I ended up running to town and bought cable chains for the front and rear. Got it out.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
cnolan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 139
I live in Hammond and just saw your thread. Lol, I would have helped you had I seen it earlier.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, improvise!
cnolan76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
Enemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Abq NM
Posts: 392
I would rather have spent the money on some snatch straps than a tow truck.
__________________
Joe
00' F150
02' TJ X
03' Lightning
12' MIni Countryman
Enemy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #54
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonii

Did you go join
Louisiana Offroad like I said? There are plenty of guys right there in Baton Rouge on the site that would enjoy pulling that thing out. Hell, the owner of the site doesn't live far from Baton Rouge.

You just join the site like you did here, post in the local emergency thread that you are stuck and anyone in your area that is "watching" the thread will get an email. For instance, I watch the one for my area, if someone posted in the NOLA/Metairie/Kenner area that they were stuck I would get a notice on my phone through my email since I subscribe to it. I could then respond and go help you.
Here is the BR link.
http://www.louisianaoffroad.com/thre...-thread.41934/
Someone would come help and you wouldn't have to pay a tow truck.

Who knows, you may even make a new friend. I don't know what to tell you if you don't want to use the tools that the 4x4 community has put out there.

Another nice feature of the site is that all of the Southeast Louisiana 4x4 clubs use it to plan rides. You could come along on a few of those rides, make friends and learn a few things from people that know how to get out mud.
Yea I joined it a while back. Thanks for the heads up though, next time I'll use the emergency forum!
DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon06Va

, A Tow Truck?
I know I know. But at least I have my jeep back..
DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #56
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnolan76
I live in Hammond and just saw your thread. Lol, I would have helped you had I seen it earlier.
Thanks man. Wish I had waited some.
DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #57
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
bostiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coaster Guy, Ma
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper View Post
Thanks man. Wish I had waited some.
Practice makes perfect. Go get stuck again and try a different route of recovery.
BTW, I loved the missing pride and wallet line, funny stuff. Glad you're out, I'm sure your Jeep is fine, at least in better shape than your pride.
bostiguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #58
Jeeper
 
fourty4magjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Erie
Posts: 1,751
Haha I'm glad you got out! But man you really should have just bought a strap! But your pride isn't completely gone remember you do dive a jeep! I can't say the same about your wallet but what can ya do lol! Now go out get a recovery strap for 50 bucks and go get stuck again! oh and your jeep should be fine shouldnt have any damage if you got pulled by the tow hook. If you hit the ditch fast I'd check all your steering components and whatnot but I doubt anything is bent or broken
__________________
/I ,[_____], Goodyear duratrac 33x12.5r15s
I---I_ -olllllllo- 4" currie lift, savvy arms.
()_) ()_)—o-)_) Cragar or Procomp soft 8s pioneer deck with polk db series speakers
fourty4magjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #59
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthJeeper View Post
I know I know. But at least I have my jeep back..
Don't feel too bad, my girl has been on a tow truck before... but in my case it was a front brake caliper locking up on me at 1:00 in the morning in a bad neighborhood. I couldn't drive it and I sure as hell wasn't going to leave it at the gas station. Especially after watching the pregnant hooker come strolling through the parking lot.
Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #60
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourty4magjr
Haha I'm glad you got out! But man you really should have just bought a strap! But your pride isn't completely gone remember you do dive a jeep! I can't say the same about your wallet but what can ya do lol! Now go out get a recovery strap for 50 bucks and go get stuck again! oh and your jeep should be fine shouldnt have any damage if you got pulled by the tow hook. If you hit the ditch fast I'd check all your steering components and whatnot but I doubt anything is bent or broken
Good point, just having the jeep back gives me a little pride by itself and I didn't hitched itch fast, if I had I wouldn't have been stuck. But it was night and I didn't even know I was almost on top of the rut, so I'm glad I didn't just gun it :P

DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC