Anyone know of a good transmission removal guide - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
NFGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 682
Anyone know of a good transmission removal guide

I've searched around and just havent found any good TJ transmission removal guides. I'll probably be needing to replace my tranny in a few months as we swamped the jeep and it had water all in it, took 25 quarts to get it running red again... Also, I have a small leak from the tranny now which I am assuming is the front seal. I thought it might be the rear main seal as the fluid looks brown, but when I took it to my buddies shop and we changed the tranny fluid there was clearly red spots where the leak is, so he believes its the seal.

Anyways, anyone know of a good write up or vid? I've done some searching but like I said, not too many descriptive write ups out there that I've come across.

Thanks!

NFGZ is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
NFGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 682
Friendly bump

NFGZ is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
CJ7GoldenEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Marseilles, Illinois
Posts: 168
The Haynes manual actually does a pretty good job of walking you through it.
CJ7GoldenEagle is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
NH-JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 536
It's pretty straight forward, for a manual. Pull the shifter. You have to unbolt you center console due to the transfer case shifter. Remove your skid plate, but have a support to hold up your tranny. Then disconnect your drive shafts, it's an 8mm socket. Then start pulling apart your transfer case shifter linkage. They just pop out, you may need to pry it with a screw driver. I did not unbolt my TC as I was using a tranny jack. Support the tranny with a jack and then start removing the bolts from the bell housing. It should then slide out after a few wacks with a mallet.
NH-JK is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
NFGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7GoldenEagle View Post
The Haynes manual actually does a pretty good job of walking you through it.
Haynes Manual, never heard of it -- time to do some googling, thanks for the suggestion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-JK View Post
It's pretty straight forward, for a manual. Pull the shifter. You have to unbolt you center console due to the transfer case shifter. Remove your skid plate, but have a support to hold up your tranny. Then disconnect your drive shafts, it's an 8mm socket. Then start pulling apart your transfer case shifter linkage. They just pop out, you may need to pry it with a screw driver. I did not unbolt my TC as I was using a tranny jack. Support the tranny with a jack and then start removing the bolts from the bell housing. It should then slide out after a few wacks with a mallet.
How bout for an auto... I have a 3spd auto ... Probably a really dumb question, is it required to drain all the tranny fluid first? Or just whats in the pan, or not at all?
NFGZ is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
DrewG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Land of Confusion (MD)
Posts: 628
If I were you, I'd go to Jeeps Limited - About and sign up, then you can download a Factory Service Manual for your year (for free). They've got a pretty decent walk-through on removal and installation of the transmission in that thing.
DrewG is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
NH-JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 536
I didn't drain mine, and the one I replaced it with had fluid in it all ready...
NH-JK is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
NFGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 682
How long did it take you to do NH?

Good looking out everyone, I do appreciate it. Signing up at Jeeps Limited now to read over it.
NFGZ is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 6,952
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFGZ View Post
How long did it take you to do NH?

Good looking out everyone, I do appreciate it. Signing up at Jeeps Limited now to read over it.
You can also access FSM's on line here without signing up: Jeep Information Center, Jeep Parts Catalog, Jeep Repair Manual & More
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is online now   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
CJ7GoldenEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Marseilles, Illinois
Posts: 168
FYI, you can get the Haynes manual at any auto parts store. Side note--make sure you have all your electrical connections disconnected before you go and let the thing down too far.
CJ7GoldenEagle is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
NFGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 682
The factory service manual makes it seem so easy haha. Couple bolts, few wires, good to go hah
NFGZ is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 137
I can remove a manual, replace the clutch, and re-install everything in under 5 hours without a lift. I've done it multiple times so I kinda know what to expect. Autos aren't much different, you just have to unbolt the torque converter before you can drop it out.
Here's a write-up on changing a clutch, don't have to worry about the clutch cylinder when doing an auto, but you do have to watch out for the dip stick and unbolt the torque converter.
[Install] AX-15 New Clutch Install
mattamd_xp is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
NH-JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-JK View Post
I didn't drain mine, and the one I replaced it with had fluid in it all ready...
I had never done it before and it was a learning experience. It took me and my buddy 8 hours to swap my tranny out. I'm sure it would be faster now after having done it.
NH-JK is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
NFGZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattamd_xp View Post
I can remove a manual, replace the clutch, and re-install everything in under 5 hours without a lift. I've done it multiple times so I kinda know what to expect. Autos aren't much different, you just have to unbolt the torque converter before you can drop it out.
Here's a write-up on changing a clutch, don't have to worry about the clutch cylinder when doing an auto, but you do have to watch out for the dip stick and unbolt the torque converter.
[Install] AX-15 New Clutch Install
If my tranny goes, you should take a trip to the beautiful sunshine state and stop in at my place haha. Gonna check out that link now
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-JK View Post
I had never done it before and it was a learning experience. It took me and my buddy 8 hours to swap my tranny out. I'm sure it would be faster now after having done it.
Lucky for me the jeep is a 3rd vehicle for the weekends so if and when I have to do it i can be sure to take my time and do it right. I wont be in a hurry to get it running prior to work or something ya know?

NFGZ is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC