Anyone running 35's with 3.73 gears? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 59
Anyone running 35's with 3.73 gears?

Recently just put a 4" lift on my 2002 Sport 4" and put some 33" Firestone Destination tires on it. Tires look a little small with the lift and I've been offered a trade for some 315/75/17 (34.4") Duratrac tires with 9K miles and a 5 tire rotation. I have the 4.0, a dana 44 rear, a 5 speed tranny and 3.73 gears. It drives just fine now and I'm wondering if they'll be able to handle the extra 1.5".

Anyone running this setup? Any mods other than flat fenders required? Thanks!

BruteOutdoors is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
crunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: cape crud ma.
Posts: 127
watch your bump stops with the 35's. i have extensions on my jeep and the the tires still eat the flares.




the 3.73's will work. 4.10's would be better,
4.56 would be ideal.

__________________
Some people shouldn't be allowed near tools... then again some Tools shouldn't be allowed near people.
crunky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Dougzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Irwin California
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteOutdoors View Post
Recently just put a 4" lift on my 2002 Sport 4" and put some 33" Firestone Destination tires on it. Tires look a little small with the lift and I've been offered a trade for some 315/75/17 (34.4") Duratrac tires with 9K miles and a 5 tire rotation. I have the 4.0, a dana 44 rear, a 5 speed tranny and 3.73 gears. It drives just fine now and I'm wondering if they'll be able to handle the extra 1.5".

Anyone running this setup? Any mods other than flat fenders required? Thanks!
I had 3.73s with my 35' MTRs for quite a while. They get the job done but definitely not ideal. I regeared to 4.88s and I never want to look back. With the 3.73s any little hill you have to kick down a year and a big hill you kick down more than one gear
__________________
4LO or Nothin!
Dougzin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,859
I'm sure you've heard or read before but you're gonna need to upgrade a few more things to run that size tire...steering will be a must. You can get away with stock brakes for a while with the manual trans but yeah, also watch the stops with 4" of lift becuse if you flex at all you're gonna break somethin as above.
Owen_TJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
VTBalla34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post

the 3.73's will work. 4.10's would be better,
4.56 would be ideal.
Jerry B and others have actually recommended 4.88 for that setup....

OP I am running 3.73's on 35's with 4" lift. It does just fine for 80% of my driving needs, including offroading. You definitely lose 5th gear on open highway though. I'm usually in rush hour on the highway so that doesn't really matter to me since its a parking lot anyway lol

I've driven it all over VA and while its a bit of a pain to have to downshift so often it is doable. My recommendation is to take the tires and start saving up for the regear. I am going to go to 4.88's as soon as I can find someone to do it.
VTBalla34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
YjKalamity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Murrieta/Hemet Calif.
Posts: 1,206
I'm running 35s on 4" of lift with 3.73s right now. It's doable, but as others have said it's not ideal. Luckily for me my gears get here on Thursday. I haven't had any issues with rubbing on my fenders...but that may or may not have something to do with not having any in the rear and having the fronts chopped I would definitely recommend regearing though.
__________________
Fred just wants to mash rocks. RAWR!!!
YjKalamity is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 59
Sounds like it's not necessarily ideal but works and steering updates and flat flares may be required.

I have a stabilizer installed now, what else would help improve steering?

Are you guys able to cruise at 60 on the highway?

Last, is the decrease in durability driven by the weight increase (8 pounds per tire) or size difference (1.6 inches)?

Jeremy
BruteOutdoors is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
YjKalamity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Murrieta/Hemet Calif.
Posts: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteOutdoors View Post
Sounds like it's not necessarily ideal but works and steering updates and flat flares may be required.

I have a stabilizer installed now, what else would help improve steering?

Are you guys able to cruise at 60 on the highway?

Last, is the decrease in durability driven by the weight increase (8 pounds per tire) or size difference (1.6 inches)?

Jeremy
At minimum you'll want a stronger tie rod. One out of a v8 ZJ works well, but running the full Currie setup is much better. You'll also want Spicer 5-760 axle u-joints.

I don't really go on the highway a whole lot, but I can maintain speed.

I've personally been having issues with my front left tire wobbling, but that's a steering issue (I have some tie rod ends I need to replace)
__________________
Fred just wants to mash rocks. RAWR!!!
YjKalamity is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,859
Owen_TJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Newb
 
Rockdoggy421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 5
Images: 4
Send a message via AIM to Rockdoggy421 Send a message via Yahoo to Rockdoggy421
x2
Rockdoggy421 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
VTBalla34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by YjKalamity View Post

At minimum you'll want a stronger tie rod. One out of a v8 ZJ works well, but running the full Currie setup is much better. You'll also want Spicer 5-760 axle u-joints.
)
I haven't done any of this
VTBalla34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
YjKalamity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Murrieta/Hemet Calif.
Posts: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBalla34 View Post

I haven't done any of this
Can you do it without all of this? Simple answer yes. Is it effective? No. Our stock components aren't strong enough to run tires this large, there are numerous threads on it. If you off road at all you're going to bend your stock tie rod and drag link. Like with the D35 it's not a matter of if, but when.
__________________
Fred just wants to mash rocks. RAWR!!!
YjKalamity is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,859
Your tie rod and drag links will soon be shot, cant align, wont work, etc...i know this from first hand experience. My tie rod and drag links were absolutely shot to the point we couldnt even align my jeep anymore and that was just offroading with 32's. I now have 35's and a laundry list of stuff.

the first 4 things i did after i put 35's on were:

Ford 8.8 rear axle with lsd
Front chromoly d30 shafts
Heavy duty steering system (the one i posted)
4.88 gears front and rear

after that, i ended up going the extra mile and installed:

SYE
Adams custom shaft
upper adjustable control arms front and rear
lower fixed control arms front and rear
adjustable track bars front and rear
4" front lift springs to level it out after the axle install (8.8 raises it about an inch)
extended front brake lines
and umm...one more thing but i forgot what that was

all of these parts were installed within the last month (including the 35's) and totaled about 4500 bucks.

35's arent cheap
Owen_TJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 59
As much as I would love to have me some 35s, it doesn't sound worth it. I have most of the items on the list above but seriously don't want to have re-gear. I'll look for some more aggressive 33s instead down the road and get my SYE installed next month.
BruteOutdoors is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
VTBalla34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by YjKalamity View Post

Can you do it without all of this? Simple answer yes. Is it effective? No. Our stock components aren't strong enough to run tires this large, there are numerous threads on it. If you off road at all you're going to bend your stock tie rod and drag link. Like with the D35 it's not a matter of if, but when.
I've been running it hard for a year and a half now without problems. If they come along I will address it. I'm not really in the habit of replacing parts that might 'fail' before they do so.
VTBalla34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Newb
 
Rockdoggy421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 5
Images: 4
Send a message via AIM to Rockdoggy421 Send a message via Yahoo to Rockdoggy421
I had the stock gears in my unlimited rubicon and it didn't like to push my 35x14.50x15 lt swamper ssr tires. I went to 4.88 gears in the stock dana 44s and really woke it up...I have a fabetc 6" long arm lift to handle the 35s

2006 wrangler unlimited rubicon...BTW I just checked price on tires $460 each :-o
Rockdoggy421 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
VTBalla34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdoggy421 View Post
I had the stock gears in my unlimited rubicon and it didn't like to push my 35x14.50x15 lt swamper ssr tires. I went to 4.88 gears in the stock dana 44s and really woke it up...I have a fabetc 6" long arm lift to handle the 35s

2006 wrangler unlimited rubicon...BTW I just checked price on tires $460 each :-o
How much did the regear cost you?
VTBalla34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBalla34 View Post
How much did the regear cost you?

I did my ford 8.8 rear axle, front chromoly shafts, and 4.88's front and rear with install/parts for $2000

just the rear axle and regear was $1500
Owen_TJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
ThatWhiteMachine101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_TJ View Post

I did my ford 8.8 rear axle, front chromoly shafts, and 4.88's front and rear with install/parts for $2000

just the rear axle and regear was $1500
What moly shafts you runnin? G-2? And damn a regear at any of the shops around here will run you 1200.
__________________
2005 Patriot Blue TJ - Current love.
2004 Stone White TJ - Rest in Piece old girl.
ThatWhiteMachine101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
KBR97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteOutdoors View Post
S

Are you guys able to cruise at 60 on the highway?



Jeremy
Yes.
My jeep has 35s and stock 355 gearing. Land around here is pretty much flat. I can easily get on the highway and keep a steady pace of 65+.
KBR97 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
stumpbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ct
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteOutdoors View Post
As much as I would love to have me some 35s, it doesn't sound worth it. I have most of the items on the list above but seriously don't want to have re-gear. I'll look for some more aggressive 33s instead down the road and get my SYE installed next month.
oy veh yet another jeep guy getting talked out of running 35's

if you want 35's, slap em on there, and you can upgrade as you go
yer rig isn't gunna automatically blow up when you mount the things...
gearing aint that bad
go get a zj tie rod for 100 bux
start thinkin about yer rear axle

hell if I was scared off by everyone tellin me not to run 35's I wouldn't be runnin 37s and havin a blast with it (yes I have 410s and a rear dana44 but still frowned apon aroud here..)

I rocked 35 swampers on an old yj I had with 307s and dana35rear and it was a dd/weekend warrior and I drove it like I stole it with it "just as that" for 2 years

just know how to drive what you own, bottom line
__________________
......_____
......\o____o
../----L- []IIIII[]-
...............====
()_) ()_)=o==)_)..
RUBICON ON 37'S
stumpbuster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 59
I passed on some very low mileage Duratrac 35s straight up for my 33s. I'm regretting it but will continue to browse Craigslist

BruteOutdoors is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC