ANYONE WITH 4CYL JEEP!!! Need Help - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Send a message via AIM to OffRDer
Question ANYONE WITH 4CYL JEEP!!! Need Help

Ok well I came across that fact that the 4 cyl TJs have a Power Steering Pressure switch, all I need is for someone with a 4cyl TJ to do 1 thing to help me prove my point, you would need to connect a meter and read the voltage from the Power steering pressure switch and at idle in park turn the steering wheel untill the idle raises and tell me what the voltage reads...ANYONE?? PLEASE Im in process of creating the GREATEST SWITCH you could install in our jeeps but I just need this voltage reading.....theres 2 wires coming out of the Power steering pressure switch one is a ground,(which should be black or brown) the other is the voltage signal wire(which should be Brown with a White Stripe)....PLEASE PLEASE can someone help me out???

OffRDer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
I have a '97 Wrangler 2.5L. I'll get the multimeter out later today and take the readings for you.

brad07x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Send a message via AIM to OffRDer
bump
OffRDer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Send a message via AIM to OffRDer
Anyone wanna help a fellow jeeper out??
OffRDer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,825
Wish I could but its 10 degrees outside and no garage.
__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Send a message via AIM to OffRDer
Anyone?
OffRDer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 61
I have no meter
litespeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 759
I have no meter and am 5,000 miles away minimum
terrible2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRDer View Post
Ok well I came across that fact that the 4 cyl TJs have a Power Steering Pressure switch, all I need is for someone with a 4cyl TJ to do 1 thing to help me prove my point, you would need to connect a meter and read the voltage from the Power steering pressure switch and at idle in park turn the steering wheel untill the idle raises and tell me what the voltage reads...ANYONE?? PLEASE Im in process of creating the GREATEST SWITCH you could install in our jeeps but I just need this voltage reading.....theres 2 wires coming out of the Power steering pressure switch one is a ground,(which should be black or brown) the other is the voltage signal wire(which should be Brown with a White Stripe)....PLEASE PLEASE can someone help me out???
Why don't you give us some idea on what this great switch is going to do for us.
__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Send a message via AIM to OffRDer
well Im sure everyone hates warming up there jeep cause you gotta leave it outside running with the keys in it, (for those of use who DONT have an autostart, and Manual Trans) well this switch i'm working on will allow you to start ur car leave ur keys in the ignition, filp this switch which will raise the engine rpms to 1000-1200 rpms which will warm up ur jeep faster and while this switch is engauged, if anyone trys to take ur jeep, the moment they step on the brake or clutch, the car shuts off and wont start and as a 2nd part to this switch, if you leave the switch on (doesnt use any battery power) while ur car is parked and someone either gets ur keys or tries to hotwire, it acts as a kill switch and your car wont start.....all for around $20 or less from simple parts you can buy at autozone, or any electronic store.....and i'll post up a step-by-step walkthrough with pics.....BUT i just need that voltage reading first
OffRDer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
Show Me Your 8008135!

WF Supporting Member
 
s3nt3nc3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via AIM to s3nt3nc3d
I don't know if I'd wanna do that... seems like warming your vehicle up at 1000-1200 RPMs would cause that sucker to really down the gas just sitting there...plus I think during warm up, it's usually recommended that you keep your RPMs low to allow the oil to start circulating and lubricating without doing any engine damage. I do think it'd be nice to be able to automatically increase your RPMs while jump starting a vehicle or winching yourself out of a sticky situation (or doing anything else that involves a high electrical load) without having to hold your foot on the gas.
__________________
"We don't build great brakes because we think you don't know how to drive, we build them for the guy on the road in front of you that doesn't." - Black Magic Brakes
s3nt3nc3d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Send a message via AIM to OffRDer
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d View Post
I don't know if I'd wanna do that... seems like warming your vehicle up at 1000-1200 RPMs would cause that sucker to really down the gas just sitting there...plus I think during warm up, it's usually recommended that you keep your RPMs low to allow the oil to start circulating and lubricating without doing any engine damage. I do think it'd be nice to be able to automatically increase your RPMs while jump starting a vehicle or winching yourself out of a sticky situation (or doing anything else that involves a high electrical load) without having to hold your foot on the gas.
although that is what "everyone" says, not to rev your engine while its cold....but how many of you jump in your jeep when its cold and drive away?? your engine is clearly going over 1200 rpms......ANYWAY i'm a mechanic for 5 years, worked at BMW for 4 of them....and what i'm doing will in NO WAY harm or damage the engine... oh adn the extra teaspoon of gas that might be used during the extra warm up process is well worth having my car warm in almost 1/2 the time...
OffRDer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Sorry, but I have a hard time believing you are a mechanic, especially for BMW when you don't own some sort of Multi-meter. When BMW's are all electronics but I guess i could be wrong.
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Send a message via AIM to OffRDer
WELL... Trying not to sound mean, but It doesn't matter weither you believe me or not, and I guess don't take any mechanical advice from me, and I have a multi-meter a fluke 87 if you want to know, and 10 grand worth of other tools, what I dont have is a 4cylinder jeep!! You think the electrical wiring of the switch I'm trying to install is easy?? That's why I'm going to have to provide a simple to follow walk through
OffRDer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
Show Me Your 8008135!

WF Supporting Member
 
s3nt3nc3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via AIM to s3nt3nc3d
Wouldn't a $32 engine block heater from Napa be easier to get an instantly warmed up vehicle? And if you put it on a timer, the cost of electricity would be quite low...just set it to kick on a couple hours before you typically leave.

Just mentioning that since I'm looking into buying one... these damn sub-zero days SUCK when you're late for work, but you gotta sit there and scrape the windshield and then freeze til the heater warms up.
__________________
"We don't build great brakes because we think you don't know how to drive, we build them for the guy on the road in front of you that doesn't." - Black Magic Brakes
s3nt3nc3d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Send a message via AIM to OffRDer
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d View Post
Wouldn't a $32 engine block heater from Napa be easier to get an instantly warmed up vehicle? And if you put it on a timer, the cost of electricity would be quite low...just set it to kick on a couple hours before you typically leave.

Just mentioning that since I'm looking into buying one... these damn sub-zero days SUCK when you're late for work, but you gotta sit there and scrape the windshield and then freeze til the heater warms up.
A block heater only keeps the oil warm, it might shave about 3-4 minutes off keeping your car running before its warm....because your getting your heat from the coolant which would still be as cold as the temperture. A block heater is good dont get me wrong, it keeps the oil warmer which makes it thinner which in turn allows it to circulate easier preventing any dry starts, BUT its only good if you have access to a plug....I park my car in the street :-/
OffRDer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Send a message via AIM to OffRDer
Bump...
OffRDer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
jvc
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRDer View Post
A block heater only keeps the oil warm, it might shave about 3-4 minutes off keeping your car running before its warm....because your getting your heat from the coolant which would still be as cold as the temperture. A block heater is good dont get me wrong, it keeps the oil warmer which makes it thinner which in turn allows it to circulate easier preventing any dry starts, BUT its only good if you have access to a plug....I park my car in the street :-/
how do you get the voltage readings ?
I have a 4 cylinder SE Wrangler .

got a diagram or picture that I could reference.
jvc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
93yjsplash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Corpus Christi/Falfurrias
Posts: 241
Aww come on guys, this dude is just trying to be creative and make something that he believes will make life a little bit easier for everyone. He apparently doesn't have a 4 cyl and i'm sure if he did and had already posted a walk through you guys would be begging to have it stickyed. So just let him do his thing. Isn't that what jeep culture is all about? Doing things that other people can't do,going where they haven't gone before. Would you tear apart your '07 suburban to try to do this? Probably not.


Its a jeep thing,you wouldn't understand.


Just keep at it OffRDer!




my .02 cents.
__________________
Photobucket YJ Page
93yjsplash is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 139
Send a message via AIM to OffRDer
Thanks YJSPLASH, and JVC I send you a PM

OffRDer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Jeep Wave Saint101 General Jeep Discussion 115 05-06-2011 06:45 PM
Biggest Jeep Freek Contest!!!! txoutdoorx4 Classifieds Archive 6 02-21-2011 10:48 AM
History of the Jeep. George T. General Jeep Discussion 8 02-04-2009 01:03 AM
It's Better In A Jeep Dare2BSquare Off-Topic 0 01-27-2008 09:13 PM
Had the best ride in my Jeep so far.... hedonist Off-Topic 8 01-08-2008 10:06 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC