Are the d44s worth it? - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #61
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziscohos
Just reading along trying to apply everything to my situation and I feel like the easiest thing for me to do is to just throw it out there.

I'm running an 05 TJ, 4.0L auto, with stock D30/35 (3.73), and currently have 33's. I'm not in a place to swap axles but I am wary of putting money into my 30/35.

Asking advice is usually a game of waiting for the answer you wanted to hear. The answer I have liked so far is essentially the run-it-til-it-breaks tactic. I'd love to have a locked front for that extra grab and climb. What locker do I use and what should I expect to pay for it (and installation if I can't figure it out or don't have the tools)?

Gears. What to do about that. 3.73 with 33's, am I okay with this? I'm okay with being a relatively conservative wheeler for now.

Ultimately I'll save up for something like the 8.8/44 upgrade with 4.88/5.13 and 35" tires. Of course, that's upwards of $6000 right there! Better get a bigger piggy bank.....
The 44 front isn't really necessary since the weakest link in both the 30 and 44 are the shafts at the u-joints, which are the same on both axles. A high pinion 30 is a cheaper, easier upgrade with better ground clearance.

rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #62
Jeeper
 
Aziscohos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
The 44 front isn't really necessary since the weakest link in both the 30 and 44 are the shafts at the u-joints, which are the same on both axles. A high pinion 30 is a cheaper, easier upgrade with better ground clearance.
Would you look used/junkyard for an HP30 or go new? Can I find it with 3.73 gears? Does the HP30 change the angles enough so the u-joints are no longer a concern?

__________________
05 TJ | 4.0L Auto | D30/35 3.73
Aziscohos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #63
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziscohos

Would you look used/junkyard for an HP30 or go new? Can I find it with 3.73 gears? Does the HP30 change the angles enough so the u-joints are no longer a concern?
You can find the non disconnect hp30 in 96-99 cherokee sports all over in junk yards. The high pinion is just that a raised pinion with reverse spiral gears. They are about 30% stronger then the low pinion in your jeep now. The hp30 does nothing for the u-joint strength, only the ring and pinion by reducing stress due to the teeth not applying load on the coast side .
rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #64
Jeeper
 
Aziscohos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
You can find the non disconnect hp30 in 96-99 cherokee sports all over in junk yards. The high pinion is just that a raised pinion with reverse spiral gears. They are about 30% stronger then the low pinion in your jeep now. The hp30 does nothing for the u-joint strength, only the ring and pinion by reducing stress due to the teeth not applying load on the coast side .
What do you mean by "coast side"?
__________________
05 TJ | 4.0L Auto | D30/35 3.73
Aziscohos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #65
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziscohos

What do you mean by "coast side"?
Of the gears. Honestly a d30 isn't a weak axle. It's good locked on 33s hp is an easy mod tho.

And yeah rda here in pa most of the people I know like mud
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #66
Jeeper
 
Aziscohos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
Of the gears. Honestly a d30 isn't a weak axle. It's good locked on 33s hp is an easy mod tho.

And yeah rda here in pa most of the people I know like mud
I see you went with Aussie - what did you like about it over ARB, etc?
__________________
05 TJ | 4.0L Auto | D30/35 3.73
Aziscohos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #67
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziscohos

I see you went with Aussie - what did you like about it over ARB, etc?
I'm guessing he liked the price which is about 1/3 that of an arb and doesn't require reinstalling the gears in a new carrier.
rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #68
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziscohos

I see you went with Aussie - what did you like about it over ARB, etc?
Less expensive. Didn't require the installation of all the air stuff. I will probably go to an Arb in the rear but the Aussie does just as good as a selectable up front. I don't have too many bad winters and I drive slow and in 2wd even when it does snow, I actually know how to drive snowy conditions I guess. But the Aussie fit me perfectly.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #69
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616

I'm guessing he liked the price which is about 1/3 that of an arb and doesn't require reinstalling the gears in a new carrier.
This too. I could do the install myself.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #70
Jeeper
 
Aziscohos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
Less expensive. Didn't require the installation of all the air stuff. I will probably go to an Arb in the rear but the Aussie does just as good as a selectable up front. I don't have too many bad winters and I drive slow and in 2wd even when it does snow, I actually know how to drive snowy conditions I guess. But the Aussie fit me perfectly.
Sounds perfect for me. From what I've been reading, the Aussie looks like a pretty quick install by capable hands, especially where my rig is newish.

Thanks for the info.
__________________
05 TJ | 4.0L Auto | D30/35 3.73
Aziscohos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #71
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziscohos

Sounds perfect for me. From what I've been reading, the Aussie looks like a pretty quick install by capable hands, especially where my rig is newish.

Thanks for the info.
Yep. Sure is. I don't even know its there on the road. The install isn't bad. If you haven't had the knuckles/hubs off, it's a little tricky to get out. Some people have to pry the carrier out but mine literally tried to fall out. Just make sure you make your ring gear and carrier and mark the clamps that hold the carrier in so everything goes back right.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #72
Jeeper
 
Aziscohos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
Yep. Sure is. I don't even know its there on the road. The install isn't bad. If you haven't had the knuckles/hubs off, it's a little tricky to get out. Some people have to pry the carrier out but mine literally tried to fall out. Just make sure you make your ring gear and carrier and mark the clamps that hold the carrier in so everything goes back right.
Good to know. Thanks.
__________________
05 TJ | 4.0L Auto | D30/35 3.73
Aziscohos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #73
Jeeper
 
Wralph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 43
I would stick with the dana 35 if it's an open diff and 32inch tires only. Do not just take someone's word for it, go out there and wheel your rig. I have a lot of fellow off roaders that have made the 35 survive with 33inch and even 35inch tires. It all has to do with your driving style and the severity of the off roading that you intend to tackle.

That said, have confidence in your rig and remember that opinion is useful, especially that of experienced wheelers and Jeepers, but then again nothing beats real world experience.

Just MHO.

__________________
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
Wralph is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How does the Wrangler perform ON-road? dav1d General Jeep Discussion 34 10-17-2013 01:21 PM
Mods that can increase the HP/Torque? Ltblue JK General Discussion Forum 46 07-24-2012 12:09 AM
Finally! A new owner in the Big sky state! BlackwolfW87 WF New Member Check In 9 03-28-2012 01:27 PM
Anyone know the backspacing? VoodooShot TJ General Discussion Forum 4 03-26-2012 08:40 PM
Who wants to hit a trail the 29th? ClayL Colorado Jeep Forum 9 03-26-2012 08:03 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC