Audio - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 58
Audio

Does anybody have any recommendations for an audio system upgrade for a 2000 TJ? I don't think it has any kind of subwoofer, so the audio sounds a bit weak.

__________________
Daily Driver: 2012 JK Sport
nrcrast is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
dolson60174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 188
tons of options out there, but I went with Marine rated components. that way they stand a better chance to the elements...

__________________
-It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.
-Dave Marschack

●|||||● Jeep on!

dolson60174 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
The speakers are all pretty simple to replace. Crutchfield is a great place to start to see what fits but you might want to go elsewhere to buy as their prices are a little steep. I switched all mine out for Infinity Kappas only because I was able to get the front and rears shipped for less than $80 total. As others would tell you look at the decibel sensitivity of the speaker, the higher the number the better the quality, shoot for around a 90. A head unit with a higher output will help too if you're not looking to add an amp right away.
Will335i is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Loganallday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 119
Toss a bazooka tube in the trunk. They come with built in amps and they are small enough to fit in your trunk or behind the seat but they can pound pretty hard.

I got the 6" built in 250 w and I have no complaints.
Loganallday is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21
I have the same year, model, and even color as you I have a dual headunit( spend a few more dollars and get a pioneer or something fancy) infinity 6.5" for the sound bar(drill new holes but doesn't look bad) and infinity speakers in the front under the dash, not sure the size. And I have it all wired to a jl 300/4 and I built a box for my audiobahn 18" subwoofer that I have to my jl1000/1 and that SHAKES my jeep. Lol but I'm 18 so I like it! Hope this helps
Keller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Loganallday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller
I have the same year, model, and even color as you I have a dual headunit( spend a few more dollars and get a pioneer or something fancy) infinity 6.5" for the sound bar(drill new holes but doesn't look bad) and infinity speakers in the front under the dash, not sure the size. And I have it all wired to a jl 300/4 and I built a box for my audiobahn 18" subwoofer that I have to my jl1000/1 and that SHAKES my jeep. Lol but I'm 18 so I like it! Hope this helps
Where in the world did you fit an 18" sub in a jeep. Omg. Jealous.
Loganallday is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 58
So if I was just looking to replace the speakers on the sound bar with these:

Pioneer TS-D1302R 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

would that help? It's just a simple install right?

I'm a little broke right now so I can't afford much
__________________
Daily Driver: 2012 JK Sport
nrcrast is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Derp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganallday
Toss a bazooka tube in the trunk. They come with built in amps and they are small enough to fit in your trunk or behind the seat but they can pound pretty hard.

I got the 6" built in 250 w and I have no complaints.
Bazooka tubes are a joke and anything below an 8" cone isn't a devote low frequency speaker.
Derp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Throde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcrast
So if I was just looking to replace the speakers on the sound bar with these:

Pioneer TS-D1302R 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

would that help? It's just a simple install right?

I'm a little broke right now so I can't afford much
It is ez how much are they and yes it will sound better but I prefer 3 way or 4
Throde is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcrast
So if I was just looking to replace the speakers on the sound bar with these:

Pioneer TS-D1302R 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

would that help? It's just a simple install right?

I'm a little broke right now so I can't afford much
For the sound bar get 6.5" 3way. For dash get adapters for 5.25" 2ways
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Loganallday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp

Bazooka tubes are a joke and anything below an 8" cone isn't a devote low frequency speaker.
You may feel that way but I personally don't have any issues. Was an easy plug and play and that's all I needed.
Loganallday is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Derp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganallday

You may feel that way but I personally don't have any issues. Was an easy plug and play and that's all I needed.
For what you need and what you paid you could've had better.
Derp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
eboven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Black Hawk, CO
Posts: 668
I have the D-Series 5.25" components in the front dash of my '02 TJ. I made my own adapters to fit the woofers in the factory 4x6 spot, and mounted the tweeters on the top corners of my dashboard using only the tweeter pods Pioneer provided. Having the component system in the front helps a TON in getting the soundstage right in front of you, and I can hear my music just fine even with the top/doors off. I would highly recommend Pioneer's D-series, they have a soft dome tweeter so the highs are more smooth and don't make my ears hurt at high volumes. I would get the 5.25" baffles for sure though, bass is terrible when they are mounted in the open dash of our TJ's; my bass is completely from my rear woofers in the soundbar since I don't have the baffles.

Check out my audio build thread for pics of the speakers mounted.


As far as 3, 4 or whatever way, the frequency response is what they are trying to advertise to you. If you look at a mid range "2-way" speaker, and then a "4-way" cheapo speaker, you will see that the "2-way" speaker probably has a better frequency response. The "ways" don't matter in the price range that most of us Jeepers would be looking into. Now, if you do want to spend a couple grand on a high-end speaker setup, you may actually see a benefit to getting a "3-way" speaker.
eboven is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
BumperJumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboven
I have the D-Series 5.25" components in the front dash of my '02 TJ. I made my own adapters to fit the woofers in the factory 4x6 spot, and mounted the tweeters on the top corners of my dashboard using only the tweeter pods Pioneer provided. Having the component system in the front helps a TON in getting the soundstage right in front of you, and I can hear my music just fine even with the top/doors off. I would highly recommend Pioneer's D-series, they have a soft dome tweeter so the highs are more smooth and don't make my ears hurt at high volumes. I would get the 5.25" baffles for sure though, bass is terrible when they are mounted in the open dash of our TJ's; my bass is completely from my rear woofers in the soundbar since I don't have the baffles.

Check out my audio build thread for pics of the speakers mounted.

As far as 3, 4 or whatever way, the frequency response is what they are trying to advertise to you. If you look at a mid range "2-way" speaker, and then a "4-way" cheapo speaker, you will see that the "2-way" speaker probably has a better frequency response. The "ways" don't matter in the price range that most of us Jeepers would be looking into. Now, if you do want to spend a couple grand on a high-end speaker setup, you may actually see a benefit to getting a "3-way" speaker.
What's a "good" frequency response? I was checking out some polks, and if I'm thinking of the right number it was around 92...? I think...
__________________
98 Tj Wrangler. 4.0L I6 Automatic, 33" Tires, BORLA full exhaust, and Dana 44 rear.
BumperJumper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Derp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperJumper

What's a "good" frequency response? I was checking out some polks, and if I'm thinking of the right number it was around 92...? I think...
For frequency response, it doesn't really matter unless its a subwoofer. 92 would be a pretty good DB sensitivity level.
Derp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake County, NorCal.
Posts: 1,800
A good 5.25 in the dash will help focus your soundstage where it needs to be. Keep in mind the sound bar speakers are like 5 inches from your ear, so use the sound bar for mid range fill and fade them down to even it out.

__________________
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...er-836497.html

"The little Jeep that could!"

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC