Axle Swap and ABS issue?? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
tazmann910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 2,143
Send a message via AIM to tazmann910 Send a message via Yahoo to tazmann910
Axle Swap and ABS issue??

OK guys, need some help. I currently have an 03 Sport with D30 and D35 axles with ABS. I have scored Front and Rear D44 axles out of an 04 Rubicon. These axles do not have ABS.

What do i have to do to either....
1) get these axles to work with ABS?
or
2) remove the ABS system all together?

Please help.

Thanks

__________________
03 TJ with a bunch of upgrades...
Off The Map 4 Wheel Drive Club.
tazmann910 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,062
Images: 2
Do the new axles you bought have an ABS sensor at each brake assembly and is there a tone ring (looks like a gear) at the hub end of each axleshaft that spins under the ABS sensor? If not, you're SOL unless you replace all four axleshafts with those with tone rings and install ABS sensors onto each brake assembly.

ABS used to not be available with Dana 44 axles, is it now available with Rubicons? But if the Rubicon those axles came out of didn't have ABS, you're pretty much SOL since nothing your ABS system requires to work will be present.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
[TheYJGuy]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Highland Lakes, NJ
Posts: 1,068
Send a message via AIM to [TheYJGuy]
I personally think that ABS is the stupidest thing to be put in a car, let alone a Jeep.

ABS makes me want to punch babies. Seriously.
__________________
`
NJ Army National Guard
11Bravo
Ready for deployment.

So many mods planned for the upcoming YJ:
4.6ltr stroker
Dana44s
3.5" lift kit
33" General Grabbers
Massey Ferguason Grey body
Kubota Orange suspension components
lots more...

This is me on WF:
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...ous/COMEDY.gif
[TheYJGuy] is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
tazmann910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 2,143
Send a message via AIM to tazmann910 Send a message via Yahoo to tazmann910
So Jerry are you saying I should not even buy these axles then?

There is no way to get around this issue? I kind of find that hard to beleive.

I understand that the hubs from the D30 will swap out with the D44 so the front I can set up. So I guess you are saying that I would have to get tone rings and ABS sensors for the rear?

Is it possible to remove the ABS system, if i get all the brake components out of the rubicon that I am getting the axles from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Do the new axles you bought have an ABS sensor at each brake assembly and is there a tone ring (looks like a gear) at the hub end of each axleshaft that spins under the ABS sensor? If not, you're SOL unless you replace all four axleshafts with those with tone rings and install ABS sensors onto each brake assembly.

ABS used to not be available with Dana 44 axles, is it now available with Rubicons? But if the Rubicon those axles came out of didn't have ABS, you're pretty much SOL since nothing your ABS system requires to work will be present.
__________________
03 TJ with a bunch of upgrades...
Off The Map 4 Wheel Drive Club.
tazmann910 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,062
Images: 2
You can easily disable the ABS system so you won't be affected by it if you choose to go ahead with the axle upgrade. At least in my '97, that only consists of pulling the two ABS relays inside the PDC (power distribution center on the passenger-side fenderwell). In later models, I believe you only need to pull the ABS fuse. I had to disable my TJ's ABS when I replaced the OE Dana 35c with a Dana 44 out of a TJ could not be easily converted for use with ABS. I don't miss ABS but if I had a choice, I'd have it. ABS is a good thing on slick roads.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
tazmann910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 2,143
Send a message via AIM to tazmann910 Send a message via Yahoo to tazmann910
Well now, with that being said, it sounds like I can install these axles and just pull a fuse and I would be good to go. I am sure I will also have to exchange out the perportioning (sp) valve.

Is that what you are saying Jerry. I trust your comments and knowledge on such items and just want to make sure I will be able to go thu with this axle swap and be able to drive it to work a few days later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You can easily disable the ABS system so you won't be affected by it if you choose to go ahead with the axle upgrade. At least in my '97, that only consists of pulling the two ABS relays inside the PDC (power distribution center on the passenger-side fenderwell). In later models, I believe you only need to pull the ABS fuse. I had to disable my TJ's ABS when I replaced the OE Dana 35c with a Dana 44 out of a TJ could not be easily converted for use with ABS. I don't miss ABS but if I had a choice, I'd have it. ABS is a good thing on slick roads.
__________________
03 TJ with a bunch of upgrades...
Off The Map 4 Wheel Drive Club.
tazmann910 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,062
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmann910 View Post
Well now, with that being said, it sounds like I can install these axles and just pull a fuse and I would be good to go. I am sure I will also have to exchange out the perportioning (sp) valve.
No, you will definitely not need to swap out the proportioning valve. The rear disk brakes (which I have converted to) will work fine as is, you'll only need to cut some of the rear brake line length and re-doubleflare them. And while I don't own the same model year TJ you do, I do believe you will only need to pull the ABS fuse. I'd go ahead and pull any ABS relays present in the PDC too, which was all I had to do to disable mine.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
tazmann910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 2,143
Send a message via AIM to tazmann910 Send a message via Yahoo to tazmann910
Jerry, this is awesome news, I am feeling much better about this conversion now. Any other words of advice oh great one?

I am not being a smart ass...for the past year Jerry I have read almost every post you have posted and your advice has yet to fail. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
No, you will definitely not need to swap out the proportioning valve. The rear disk brakes (which I have converted to) will work fine as is, you'll only need to cut some of the rear brake line length and re-doubleflare them. And while I don't own the same model year TJ you do, I do believe you will only need to pull the ABS fuse. I'd go ahead and pull any ABS relays present in the PDC too, which was all I had to do to disable mine.
__________________
03 TJ with a bunch of upgrades...
Off The Map 4 Wheel Drive Club.
tazmann910 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: outside of Juneau Alaska
Posts: 102
1. pull relay/fuse
2. remove light bulb
3. electrical tape over light bulb

someday i'll remove that damn shift incidator,, drives me nuts when its telling me to upshift at 1200 rpm, idiot lights blinking at me drives me crazy
__________________
94 cummins w/dodge2500, 260 injectors,191 DV, BHAF, #10 plate, 45lb boost!
03 rubi cherry bombed, rokmen merc. 5.5" RKLA, TW shaft, Bilstein shocks, 35" TOYO mt, jks 1" mml/bl, xd9000i, yaesu 8800r/diamond SG-7500, rock lights, HID lights, KC lights, some other stuff
IF THE SMOKE AIN'T BLACK, TAKE IT BACK
Little tin, Little board, put together you have a ford
sean42069 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
tazmann910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 2,143
Send a message via AIM to tazmann910 Send a message via Yahoo to tazmann910
Hey Jerry, is this true, will the ABS light still be on if I pull the fuse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean42069 View Post
1. pull relay/fuse
2. remove light bulb
3. electrical tape over light bulb

someday i'll remove that damn shift incidator,, drives me nuts when its telling me to upshift at 1200 rpm, idiot lights blinking at me drives me crazy
__________________
03 TJ with a bunch of upgrades...
Off The Map 4 Wheel Drive Club.
tazmann910 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,062
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmann910 View Post
Hey Jerry, is this true, will the ABS light still be on if I pull the fuse?
I don't know, but when I pulled my '97 TJ's two ABS relays, that completely disabled the ABS system and its light. It's as if my TJ never had ABS.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
tazmann910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 2,143
Send a message via AIM to tazmann910 Send a message via Yahoo to tazmann910
Well now, I guess I will have to give that a try. Maybe I will pull the ABS stuff out before I do the axle swap just to see what happens.

Maybe it is just as simple as pulling the fuse.

I am glad Jerry that you have been down this road before.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I don't know, but when I pulled my '97 TJ's two ABS relays, that completely disabled the ABS system and its light. It's as if my TJ never had ABS.
__________________
03 TJ with a bunch of upgrades...
Off The Map 4 Wheel Drive Club.
tazmann910 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
tazmann910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 2,143
Send a message via AIM to tazmann910 Send a message via Yahoo to tazmann910
Anyone else have some input?
__________________
03 TJ with a bunch of upgrades...
Off The Map 4 Wheel Drive Club.
tazmann910 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_YJGuy88 View Post
ABS makes me want to punch babies. Seriously.
here u go man.. thats for u



i hate abs too though. In slippery snow or ice, you're screwed with abs.

Taz, my input is, rip that crap right out.

Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC