BB lift advice? front larger than rear? issues? tips? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
BB lift advice? front larger than rear? issues? tips?

I've been looking for quite awhile at so many BB lifts as I want to keep my stock shocks and just want an economical lift for looks and to fit 31's maybe 32's.

I noticed today my jeep has almost 2" more clearance in the back (granted my front tires are prob at 15-20% and the rear 60-65%) call it 1.5" more in the back

I'm thinking of replacing the front "stock spacer" that's .5" or .75" I believe with a 2.5" spacer. I know the stock ones don't need to be remove but I feel like its better to replace it rather than just stack another on top.

Then for the back just get a spacer that's an inch smaller and replace that "stock spacer" (if the rear has one?) with it.

Will I need any extended bump stops? Will I need an alignment? Any issues? Anyone have something similar? Pics appreciated thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130723_141049.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	276460  

jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
Sorry for all the repetitive pics. Idk how that happened

jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California/Montana
Posts: 3,142
How many miles on the jeep? Over time the springs begin to sag, especially in the front. Instead of buying 2" spacers, I would buy some quality 2" lift springs. OME makes very nice 2" lift springs that will give you the lift you want, a soft ride, will perform better offroad (you dont have to worry about coil bind), and will last longer than the stock springs.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife View Post
How many miles on the jeep? Over time the springs begin to sag, especially in the front. Instead of buying 2" spacers, I would buy some quality 2" lift springs. OME makes very nice 2" lift springs that will give you the lift you want, a soft ride, will perform better offroad (you dont have to worry about coil bind), and will last longer than the stock springs.
Almost 115,000 miles and would I be able to use new 2" lift springs with stock shocks?

I don't want to spend crazy money and don't want anything that can cause problems like wobble either. This jeep will be on the road 95% of the time maybe light offroading every great once in a while.
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,525
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotelho15 View Post
would I be able to use new 2" lift springs with stock shocks?.
Yes, a good option is the 2" BDS springs.

__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post

Yes, a good option is the 2" BDS springs.
Maybe I will look into this but not entirely sure yet. I've heard the back is naturally higher to hold up weight for a hardtop and I have a softtop only. Is this true? Or are they really saggy?
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California/Montana
Posts: 3,142
Hard top models had different spring rates (stiffer for hard top). Same with engine size I believe.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
To spend that much I feel I might as well do something that comes with shocks too. how about something like this? (This would be the most I am willing to spend) these I believe I saw someone here running 33x10.5x15 tires (which I probably would want one day as my jeep has the dana 44)

SkyJacker 2.5" kit
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_12X_A_PG.htm
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,525
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotelho15 View Post
To spend that much I feel I might as well do something that comes with shocks too. how about something like this? (This would be the most I am willing to spend) these I believe I saw someone here running 33x10.5x15 tires (which I probably would want one day as my jeep has the dana 44)

SkyJacker 2.5" kit
Skyjacker 2.5" System Lift Kit for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
If you like a stiff hard ride, then its an option. This would be a better way to go for just over $400 (click the 2" tab)

1997-2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ Standard 6.5" lift kit 467H | BDS Suspension


If you want to run 33", check out these options. (way better than skyjacker or roughcountry)
http://zoneoffroad.com/prod-display?ca=1&ma=6&mo=56
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post

If you like a stiff hard ride, then its an option. This would be a better way to go for just over $400 (click the 2" tab)

1997-2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ Standard 6.5" lift kit 467H | BDS Suspension

If you want to run 33", check out these options. (way better than skyjacker or roughcountry)
http://zoneoffroad.com/prod-display?ca=1&ma=6&mo=56
My Jeep is an 04. And I'm on the fence about 33's I don't want to sacrifice performance and overall ride quality just to look cool. Plus I'm a really cheap guy and ussually buy tires used lol
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,525
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotelho15 View Post
My Jeep is an 04. And I'm on the fence about 33's I don't want to sacrifice performance and overall ride quality just to look cool. Plus I'm a really cheap guy and ussually buy tires used lol
Well, do a 2-3" spring lift now and run your 31"s. If you want to run 33's some day, then add in a 1.25" Body lift at that time.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
I think I am just going to swap out the coils and keep my stock struts. Should I replace just my front springs and add a small spacer if needed in the back or will it ride like crap and I should swap all 4?
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
Alright def going to look into a spring lift then. Do the rear springs need to match the front springs? I would prob do just the front ones first to see how much lift I need for the rear to be level?
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
CWest22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post

Well, do a 2-3" spring lift now and run your 31"s. If you want to run 33's some day, then add in a 1.25" Body lift at that time.
You won't need a bl to run 33 with a 2 or 3 in". I run the zone 3" with 33x12.5x 15 and they work great I wheel my jeep often as well. Another person I run with runs a 2" and 33s he rubs when flexed but as op stated its more of a road queen. If it was me I'd buy the bds 2" it comes with shocks. No need to extend bumpstop and stock sway bar links should still fit.
CWest22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
CWest22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotelho15 View Post
Alright def going to look into a spring lift then. Do the rear springs need to match the front springs? I would prob do just the front ones first to see how much lift I need for the rear to be level?
It's usually about a half inch but depends on spring rate.
CWest22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
Spring lift kits seem to be more expensive than just buying lomger springs seperately but also seem to bring some extra hardware? Should I get a lift kit with springs or can I buy just the springs?
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Gixxer86g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Lost Valley of Manville NJ
Posts: 642
Images: 2
The BDS 2in kit is cost effective, and works quite nicely. The ride will be firm, but not harsh. You will notice an improvement on all surfaces.

Here's my 98 with this kit, with additional 3/4 spacers up front to compensate for the winch/winch plate/bumper. I'm running 31s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01802a.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	276567  
__________________
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…” -Hunter S. Thompson
Gixxer86g is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer86g View Post
The BDS 2in kit is cost effective, and works quite nicely. The ride will be firm, but not harsh. You will notice an improvement on all surfaces.

Here's my 98 with this kit, with additional 3/4 spacers up front to compensate for the winch/winch plate/bumper. I'm running 31s.
x2. I just installed the kit, and I love the ride. Firm like stated above, but not harsh at all. It absorbs bumps better that I expected. Great base to build your rig off of.
rdock31 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
Yes, a good option is the 2" BDS springs.

I didn't see that these were bought in pairs lol. In that case that's a very cheap option I can run these on stock shocks and everything? just swap out my stock springs?
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdock31 View Post
x2. I just installed the kit, and I love the ride. Firm like stated above, but not harsh at all. It absorbs bumps better that I expected. Great base to build your rig off of.
by "kit" do you mean just bought the springs or is there other hardware?
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer86g View Post
The BDS 2in kit is cost effective, and works quite nicely. The ride will be firm, but not harsh. You will notice an improvement on all surfaces.

Here's my 98 with this kit, with additional 3/4 spacers up front to compensate for the winch/winch plate/bumper. I'm running 31s.
Thanks for the pics! Do you bring it off road a lot? I don't offroad now but never know in the future!
jbotelho15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotelho15 View Post
by "kit" do you mean just bought the springs or is there other hardware?
I was referring to springs/shocks. I have a track bar relocation bracket for the rear I haven't gotten around to installing yet that I bought separate. I also have a set of disconnects up front I installed. I attached a pic of my TJ.

rdock31 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC