best 3" lift kit - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
birdy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 91
best 3" lift kit

I have a 2006 rubicon and i was wondering what the best lift kit for it is. It's a RD so I also need to know what shocks everyone recommends

birdy35 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
birdy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 91
Sorry RD is supposed to be DD

birdy35 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,021
OME makes great shocks and a very good 2.5" kit.
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
birdy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 91
I have been looking at OME. Does it hold up well off road as well? Nice jeep by the way
birdy35 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy35 View Post
I have been looking at OME. Does it hold up well off road as well? Nice jeep by the way
Thanks! pretty proud of it.

I can't personally attest to holding up long term as I've only had it for about 8 months but everyone says it'll last as long as you have it on the jeep. Offroad performance is good though. And on road performance/ride was improved as well. Very comfortable ride.
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
birdy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 91
Thanks for the input. Would you send a link for the lift you put on your jeep please
birdy35 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,021
Yeah give me a sec
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,021
Here ya go. I opted for the Nitro Shock upgrade btw. Very good stuff in this kit.

Old Man Emu Ultimate TJ/LJ Wrangler Kit | dpgoffroad.com
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
birdy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 91
Thanks!! That seems to be a great lift
birdy35 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
larjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,041
I run the 3" bds kit in my rig. It is great. Check it out.
larjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
birdy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 91
Will do. I have been liking at the zone lifts too. They have had some good reviews. I just want to have as smooth of a ride as I can while still being able to go off roading.
birdy35 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
larjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,041
Bds makes zone.
larjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Steeljag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 510
My2" BDS suspension lift, lifted me just under3" .....lol

Looks good, rides nice!
__________________
2014 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Copper Canyon
Yeah,I gotta change the Pic
Love the Rubicon, but already miss the TJ.
Steeljag is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
VaJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 135
Bds is what I want I think their the one with the long warranty ?
VaJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
Rubicon express superflex, teraflex with 8 adjustable control arms, savvy's Currie 3" are all very good and fairly comprehensive lifts that will provide you with great durability, great off road performance and daily driving comfort.
A basic 3" lift consists of springs and shocks and will likely leave you unhappy with ride quality.
Bilstien and old man emu make some great shocks and Rubicon express shocks are also manufactured by bilstien and valved specifically for their lifts.
Expect to spend 1500 to 2500 for a good quality lift.
If you want to go all out in ride quality then you could go long arm but the cos goes up dramatically.
Plan on a slip yoke eliminator, a rear CV drive shaft and an alignment as well.
Quality lifts will provide you with the performance you would like on and off road. Quality shocks will help even more. Skimping on either and going the rough country, BDS, skyjacker, zone, etc...will have you in the same position as many of my customers...spending a lot more in the long run to undo what they skimped on in the beginning or, in extreme cases, selling their jeeps.
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 52
The title says your looking for the best 3" lift so I'm going to say Savvy/Currie. Based upon my research and experience, I think they make the best 3" short arm lift on the market. That is what I put on my 03 Rubicon last year and I could not be happier.

Currie Johnny Joints Suspension TJ LJ

I hear great things about the Fox shocks but I put Rancho 9000 on mine based upon the recommendation I got from Savvy Off-Road and they work very well.
1320quick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
birdy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussblues View Post
Rubicon express superflex, teraflex with 8 adjustable control arms, savvy's Currie 3" are all very good and fairly comprehensive lifts that will provide you with great durability, great off road performance and daily driving comfort.
A basic 3" lift consists of springs and shocks and will likely leave you unhappy with ride quality.
Bilstien and old man emu make some great shocks and Rubicon express shocks are also manufactured by bilstien and valved specifically for their lifts.
Expect to spend 1500 to 2500 for a good quality lift.
If you want to go all out in ride quality then you could go long arm but the cos goes up dramatically.
Plan on a slip yoke eliminator, a rear CV drive shaft and an alignment as well.
Quality lifts will provide you with the performance you would like on and off road. Quality shocks will help even more. Skimping on either and going the rough country, BDS, skyjacker, zone, etc...will have you in the same position as many of my customers...spending a lot more in the long run to undo what they skimped on in the beginning or, in extreme cases, selling their jeeps.
I plan on doing it right. the OME ultimate lift kit might be the one for me but not sure yet. If I am going to spend this much, I want to do it right the first time. Would like to stay closer to the $1500 mark
birdy35 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
If I remember correctly the ome kit consists of a 2" one lift, a body lift, and a motor mount lift. Its a good way to gain clearance and a good ride. The downfall always comes with the re-use of the factory arms. When a suspension is flexing it will bind on the factory arms right at about the point that a 2" lift spring will droop. By upgrading to a kit with better arms you will notice huge gains in flexibility and by pairing with the correct shock you will also notice huge gains in ride quality. Mine is not top of the line but here are what I can remember of my costs
3.5 super flex - 1300
1" body lift - 110
Bilstien 5100 shocks - 300
Sye - 250
Tom woods ds - 350
Tools to install - 100
Brake fluid - $5
I drove this jeep daily 150 miles round trip because it rode better than my ltz Tahoe. I also wheeled this jeep on 4 diamonds with 0 problems.
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
homebrwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320quick View Post
The title says your looking for the best 3" lift so I'm going to say Savvy/Currie. Based upon my research and experience, I think they make the best 3" short arm lift on the market. That is what I put on my 03 Rubicon last year and I could not be happier.

Currie Johnny Joints Suspension TJ LJ

I hear great things about the Fox shocks but I put Rancho 9000 on mine based upon the recommendation I got from Savvy Off-Road and they work very well.

This ^^
homebrwd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
AOR
Sponsoring Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
AOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mount Aukum, CA - El Dorado County about 55 mins from the Rubicon Trail
Posts: 1,958
Rock Krawler 2.5" X-Factor Suspension System (change the frame ends from bushings to Krawler Joints for $40.00)
Bilstein 5100s

You will net a little more than 2.5" of lift. Pricing is not always what it seems.
__________________
Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at: sales@allensoffroad.com



Be careful what you wish for. It will come true!
Never miss a good chance to shut up! - Will Rogers
AOR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
MILK93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 42
If you want save some money
Zone 4.25 combo has a 3in suspension and a 1.25 bbl under 600$

If you want to break the bank Currie has a very nice 4 inch lift. 2000K and up.
__________________
Jeep Wrangler 1997 4bangger Zone 4.25 Combo BFG T/A KO 33x12.50R15
MILK93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
AOR
Sponsoring Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
AOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mount Aukum, CA - El Dorado County about 55 mins from the Rubicon Trail
Posts: 1,958
^^^ True dat. $581.03 shipped for the works.
__________________
Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at: sales@allensoffroad.com



Be careful what you wish for. It will come true!
Never miss a good chance to shut up! - Will Rogers
AOR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
birdy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK93 View Post
If you want save some money
Zone 4.25 combo has a 3in suspension and a 1.25 bbl under 600$

If you want to break the bank Currie has a very nice 4 inch lift. 2000K and up.
That's not a bad price. I have heard that they are good lifts. I will have to research them this weekend along with some new tires
birdy35 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep View Post
Bds makes zone.
no they don't.

BDS and Zone share the same parent company, and likely share some manufacturing overlap. Kinda like Procomp, Smittybilt, Rubicon Express and 4-Wheel Parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK93 View Post
If you want save some money
Zone 4.25 combo has a 3in suspension and a 1.25 bbl under 600$

If you want to break the bank Currie has a very nice 4 inch lift. 2000K and up.
but don't be confused into thinking $600 gets you the same stuff as $2000.
__________________
Suggested Tech Readings
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
AOR
Sponsoring Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
AOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mount Aukum, CA - El Dorado County about 55 mins from the Rubicon Trail
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
no they don't.

BDS and Zone share the same parent company, and likely share some manufacturing overlap. Kinda like Procomp, Smittybilt, Rubicon Express and 4-Wheel Parts.


but don't be confused into thinking $600 gets you the same stuff as $2000.
The $600 to 2000 comparison is correct but the first statement is not. The same engineers that design BDS are the ones that design Zone Offroad. They use the same computers and desks.
__________________
Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at: sales@allensoffroad.com



Be careful what you wish for. It will come true!
Never miss a good chance to shut up! - Will Rogers
AOR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
birdy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOR View Post

The $600 to 2000 comparison is correct but the first statement is not. The same engineers that design BDS are the ones that design Zone Offroad. They use the same computers and desks.
I work for a steel mill and supply lots of steel to these companies. I understand the manufacturing side of it. I'll do some research and see which one uses the best material for their products
birdy35 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 216
Ive come to realize that my local "jeep" shops are useless for the whole lift researching thing. They all want to peddle their product or the one they get the most kickback on. I just had a jeep shop/dealer who does a good amount of lifts tell me theyve never heard of OME. Then I tell him Im going with 15x8 wheel and he said, why would I want to do that? Why not a 17"?? Thats when I realized I needed to leave.
Huelsmma is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huelsmma View Post
Ive come to realize that my local "jeep" shops are useless for the whole lift researching thing. They all want to peddle their product or the one they get the most kickback on. I just had a jeep shop/dealer who does a good amount of lifts tell me theyve never heard of OME. Then I tell him Im going with 15x8 wheel and he said, why would I want to do that? Why not a 17"?? Thats when I realized I needed to leave.
Wow, true in some cases but not always. I always try to talk someone into the set up that is right for them, give them the benefits and drawbacks of any kit as well as associated costs and I'm always willing to show how a lift performs. The last thing I would want is to ruin reputation or see someone out on the trail unhappy with something I sold them...unless they were adamant about a product regardless of advice. Then again there is a very tight knit off road community in Louisiana.
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 216
Speaking of Louisiana...I see your Duck Dynasty boys are running skyjacker setups on the otherwise bada** trucks.
Huelsmma is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
spencerlj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Troutman, NC
Posts: 137
Images: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussblues View Post
If I remember correctly the ome kit consists of a 2" one lift, a body lift, and a motor mount lift. Its a good way to gain clearance and a good ride. The downfall always comes with the re-use of the factory arms. When a suspension is flexing it will bind on the factory arms right at about the point that a 2" lift spring will droop. By upgrading to a kit with better arms you will notice huge gains in flexibility and by pairing with the correct shock you will also notice huge gains in ride quality. Mine is not top of the line but here are what I can remember of my costs
3.5 super flex - 1300
1" body lift - 110
Bilstien 5100 shocks - 300
Sye - 250
Tom woods ds - 350
Tools to install - 100
Brake fluid - $5
I drove this jeep daily 150 miles round trip because it rode better than my ltz Tahoe. I also wheeled this jeep on 4 diamonds with 0 problems.
I hear what you say about the Control Arms. Stressing the stock arms past the 2" suspension lift is the issue. On your setup you added a body lift with the 3.5" RE Superflex kit. I suppose that was because the RE Kit included new Arms whereas the OME Kit does not? Would adding new Arms to the OME Kit work just as well? Adding a JKS Control Arm kit for about $275-300 would work with the OME Kit? or does that not make sense. I am not a mechanic nor do I claim to be one. I am trying to make the right decision for myself.

spencerlj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC