Best Soft Top for The Best Price? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
CountryBoyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 537
Lightbulb Best Soft Top for The Best Price?

It's almost summer and I'm one of those Jeepers that loves hard tops till summer comes around. I only have a hard top and am considering just dropping a mod or 2 this summer to get a soft top.
I want a soft top that is going to hold up but at the same time I don't want to waste a bunch of money.
So anyone out there with good opinions?

CountryBoyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Jeep_guy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lincoln County, OR
Posts: 259
Just keep an eye out on Craigslist and wait for someone selling an OEM top for relatively cheap. It took me a couple months but I ended up getting a like new soft top, with everything needed to attach it for $275.

__________________
My JEEP helped win a war, your HONDA cuts my grass!
Jeep_guy3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Amocat00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 153
Rampage. Hands down. No framework necessary.
Amocat00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
bmbillups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 440
If you want a top with frame, quadratop
bmbillups is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17
I think that the bestop supertop nx is the best. It comes with everything you need from the door surrounds to the tailgate bar. I ended up buying one from quadratec for a good price, it was delivered the next day and the day after that it was on my tj.
2004blacktj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoyJeep View Post
It's almost summer and I'm one of those Jeepers that loves hard tops till summer comes around. I only have a hard top and am considering just dropping a mod or 2 this summer to get a soft top.
I want a soft top that is going to hold up but at the same time I don't want to waste a bunch of money.
So anyone out there with good opinions?
CountryBoyJeep,

You want to check out the Supertop NX, or the Trektop NX by Bestop. Both tops will come with everything you need to install them on your Jeep. They install very easily and are priced very reasonably. On top of that, we have an exclusive discount for Wrangler Forum Members and free sipping on orders over $75.

I'll shoot you the code over in a PM so you can use it to get your new top for your Jeep. Also if you have any other questions about installing the top or choosing the right one. Feel free to ask.

-Zach
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,548
eBay
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
TheHexIsReal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Triad, NC
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain View Post

I'll shoot you the code over in a PM so you can use it to get your new top for your Jeep. Also if you have any other questions about installing the top or choosing the right one. Feel free to ask.

-Zach
Great thread, I'm in the market too can you hit me up with that pm too?
__________________
go hard or go home
TheHexIsReal is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
spr0k3t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
x2 on the Trektop NX... it's a frameless top. The Rampage is similar and may offer one or two more features than the Trektop. If you get a Trektop, go with black diamond... seems to be quietest of the colors available.
__________________
.________
/l_|q[____]p
1--|--:--O||||O-
()_) ()_)--o--)_)
spr0k3t is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Ponderosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arizona Desert
Posts: 177
The best is either the Mopar premium or the Bestop Supertop NX in black twill which is the same thing for all practical purposes. The latter has a limited lifetime warranty though I don't know who you would contact for warranty issues. It costs about several hundred bucks more than the standard top.
__________________
2013 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sahara
Ponderosa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
KingTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by spr0k3t View Post
x2 on the Trektop NX... it's a frameless top. The Rampage is similar and may offer one or two more features than the Trektop. If you get a Trektop, go with black diamond... seems to be quietest of the colors available.
^^^ this. I just recently did away with my hard top and purchased the frameless trextop NX. Purchased through jeepaddons.com. Chris holland Is their rep and is part of the forum. Send him a PM and hell take care of you. The trextop amazes me more and more every day with how quiet it is. Looks great also!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-566920133.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	224814   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1087968862.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	224815  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3348647784.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	224816  
__________________
MPG's? What are these things you speak of?
KingTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
CountryBoyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 537
The thought of a frame-less soft top sounds awesome! Hows it work?
CountryBoyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,638
I would recommend the Bestop Trektop NX. I have a Rampage frameless top, and love it, but since your coming from a hard top you would need to source door surrounds and some other hardware. The Trektop NX comes with everything you need.
__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
CountryBoyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 537
The fact that I have an aftermarket roll cage doesn't affect the install right?
CountryBoyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Amocat00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 153
I imagine it would, at least for the frameless ones. But we can't really tell without knowing what your roll cage looks like.
Amocat00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,638
Depends on the roll cage. If you have a rear spreader bar that sticks out past the roll cage a frameless probably wont work.

Pictures and/or brand of you roll cage would help.
__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
CountryBoyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 537
I have the poison spyder roll cage located here ---> Jeep TJ Welded Full Cages | Jeep TJ Roll Bar | Jeep TJ Roll Cage | Poison Spyder Customs
I might contact them on compatible soft tops.
CountryBoyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Jeffreybomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 729
Images: 3
I was in the same boat as you. I bought my TJ with a hard top but bought a soft top because spring was right around the corner. I have a Bestop Supertop with tinted windows. It took some practice to get it up and down, but I can do it quickly now. Bestop is running a rebate program until June 30th for a lot of the frame-based tops they offer.

To each his own, but in my opinion, the look of a frameless top reminds me of Isuzu Amigo (that may just remind me of the piece of crap Amigo a friend of mine had back in college).
Jeffreybomb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
RMSpiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain View Post

CountryBoyJeep,

You want to check out the Supertop NX, or the Trektop NX by Bestop. Both tops will come with everything you need to install them on your Jeep. They install very easily and are priced very reasonably. On top of that, we have an exclusive discount for Wrangler Forum Members and free sipping on orders over $75.

I'll shoot you the code over in a PM so you can use it to get your new top for your Jeep. Also if you have any other questions about installing the top or choosing the right one. Feel free to ask.

-Zach
Think you can pm me that code too? Is that for quadratec or someplace else?
__________________

1999 Chili Pepper Red Pearl 4.0 Manual
2.5" DIY lift from 2013 JKU springs and shocks
31x11.5 TrXus STS on 15x10 Cragar
RMSpiel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Jeffreybomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 729
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmspiel View Post
is that for quadratec or someplace else?


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1059041384.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	224854

Jeffreybomb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHexIsReal View Post
Great thread, I'm in the market too can you hit me up with that pm too?
TheHExIsReal,

PM sent, check your inbox!

-Zach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoyJeep View Post
I have the poison spyder roll cage located here ---> Jeep TJ Welded Full Cages | Jeep TJ Roll Bar | Jeep TJ Roll Cage | Poison Spyder Customs
I might contact them on compatible soft tops.
I would check with Poison Spyder to see if the frameless tops are compatible with the cage. From the look of it I don't see a reason it wouldn't work. The rear bar doesn't seem to be any taller or stick out farther than the rear bars.

Shoot me a PM once you figure that out and we can get you a top figured out for your Jeep!

-Zach


Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSpiel View Post
Think you can pm me that code too? Is that for quadratec or someplace else?
PM sent, check your inbox!

-Zach
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
rdock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 310
You could try jeeptopdepot.com that's where I got my bikini top from.. Pretty low prices.
rdock31 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
cully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 100
Just installed my Bestop Supertop yesterday and bought it through JEGS for much less than anywhere I checked. Very happy as it came with everything needed. If you only have a hard top now you will need to purchase the extra parts such as header channel, door surrounds, and tailgate bar. All of these items add up if you go to a frameless top. All of these parts are included with the Bestop Supertop. I believe i saved about $100-150 by ordering through JEGS also.
cully is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
CountryBoyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 537
alright thanks guys
CountryBoyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Just installed my Bestop Supertop yesterday and bought it through JEGS for much less than anywhere I checked. Very happy as it came with everything needed. If you only have a hard top now you will need to purchase the extra parts such as header channel, door surrounds, and tailgate bar. All of these items add up if you go to a frameless top. All of these parts are included with the Bestop Supertop. I believe i saved about $100-150 by ordering through JEGS also.
The Bestop Trektop NX comes with all the same hardware.

Should also note the Bestop Supertop/Trektop and Bestop Supertop/Trektop NX are not the same thing. I had the older Supertop and it was a horrible top.
__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Kevin063's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain View Post
CountryBoyJeep,


I'll shoot you the code over in a PM so you can use it to get your new top for your Jeep. Also if you have any other questions about installing the top or choosing the right one. Feel free to ask.

-Zach
A PM in my direction would be nice too Looking to pick up a Trektop here soon
__________________
'97 TJ, 4cyl. 3" JK "take-off" lift with 2" spacers up front, Bridgestone Dueler 255/75 R18 take offs.

I basically drive a Jeep TJK
Kevin063 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #27
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 6,783
I purchased the frameless NX from Bestop...for the past experience I had with Bestop.and lets face it they do make the OEM tops and have for many years.

The frameless NX has more options than the others IMO...the main one being the sunrider feature which can be used with the windows out, which for all intents and purposes would make it "feel" topless. And it is not that much harder if you REALLY want to take it all the way off, couple straps, couple latches, couple pins and it can all be folded into the back.

Best price I have seen was less than $520 delivered.
jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
CountryBoyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2611 View Post
I purchased the frameless NX from Bestop...for the past experience I had with Bestop.and lets face it they do make the OEM tops and have for many years.

The frameless NX has more options than the others IMO...the main one being the sunrider feature which can be used with the windows out, which for all intents and purposes would make it "feel" topless. And it is not that much harder if you REALLY want to take it all the way off, couple straps, couple latches, couple pins and it can all be folded into the back.

Best price I have seen was less than $520 delivered.
Alright thank you!
CountryBoyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #29
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin063 View Post
A PM in my direction would be nice too Looking to pick up a Trektop here soon
PM sent Kevin! Check your inbox!

-Zach
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #30
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Csahara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bayside, Queens
Posts: 383
Rampage Frameless

Csahara is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
hard top , soft top , soft top replacement , top , topless

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC