Best suspension for max travel? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Best suspension for max travel?

Hey guys,

i was just wondering what the best suspension set up would be for the most amount of travle on my 2000 tj, ive got a 4'' rough country lift and 2'' body lift now but i want a lot of clearence but not so much it looks stupid because its my DD and i want an insane amount of travel front and rear. do i need to cutom make it or are there kits out there? and also while i have your attention, does anyone suggest aftermarket axles and housings? mine are still stock with lockers and lower gears, thanks (want a rock crawler mixxed with a DD but mainly rock crawler)

ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Crazyflyingplastics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 531
Images: 2
Get some sway bar disconnects

Crazyflyingplastics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
_KONG_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 68
What do you consider an "insane amount of travel"?
_KONG_ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by _KONG_ View Post
What do you consider an "insane amount of travel"?

well i would like to be able to crawl on top of a 38'' tire on another jeep with one of the front tires of mine and keep all wheels on the ground
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Coilovers and deep pockets
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz View Post
well i would like to be able to crawl on top of a 38'' tire on another jeep with one of the front tires of mine and keep all wheels on the ground
this should do it....



more pics: Jon's Jeep

the specs from the guy that built it:
Everyone is a critic, critique this one. - JeepForum.com

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing well over $30k in that Jeep...
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
Coilovers and deep pockets
1. how do i look at your pictures? and 2 im thinking smitty built flat fenders in the front and cut the back panel out with the xrc armor, what kind of coil overs too?
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
this should do it....



more pics: Jon's Jeep

the specs from the guy that built it:
Everyone is a critic, critique this one. - JeepForum.com
\are those king shocks? and i need a daily driver!!
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz View Post
\are those king shocks? and i need a daily driver!!
so add doors and a top...

as for the shocks....they aren't shocks, they are coilovers....why don't you read the specs I linked?
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
so add doors and a top...

as for the shocks....they aren't shocks, they are coilovers....why don't you read the specs I linked?
i meant coilovers -_- and i also didnt see the link -_-
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
_KONG_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 68
If you want to show off to your buddies buy long shocks, brake lines and arms. If you want to set up a nice performing suspension, you have a lot of research to do
_KONG_ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
408jeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz
Hey guys,

i was just wondering what the best suspension set up would be for the most amount of travle on my 2000 tj, ive got a 4'' rough country lift and 2'' body lift now but i want a lot of clearence but not so much it looks stupid because its my DD and i want an insane amount of travel front and rear. do i need to cutom make it or are there kits out there? and also while i have your attention, does anyone suggest aftermarket axles and housings? mine are still stock with lockers and lower gears, thanks (want a rock crawler mixxed with a DD but mainly rock crawler)
How much more do you want. Sounds like you already have 6" of lift. What tires do you want to put in? It's not going to be cheap
__________________
PM me if you wanna wheel in the Bay Area
408jeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
TnDz TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,925
Images: 220
Here is a poser pic I did on a 36" wall with 33's.... you want more than this?

__________________
~Todd~ 2004 X 4.0 5 speed---SOLD
4" Lift, 4.56's, 33" Duratracs on M/T Classics
RR SYE, Tatton CV, MML, BL, TT, Dynomax Exhaust
Hella Lighting: Driving, Fogs and H4 E-Codes
NOPE! ... and NEVER will be...
TnDz TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW burbs IL
Posts: 1,075
I have 14" of travel per tire... but thats after 2000+hours of work and A LOT of money, ask my wife she'll tell you I got too many hours my heep.
97flexy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by _KONG_ View Post
If you want to set up a nice performing suspension, you have a lot of research to do
This couldn't be quoted enough times.

You have a massive amount of research to do. And honestly, your reasoning to justify this kind of travel is just stupid.

Get learning:
Suspension Geometry - JeepForum.com

Here's a few good build threads that you should read. None of those rigs have over 12" travel shocks and all have thousands of hours and many thousands of dollars into them.
Music City Flop Project - JeepForum.com
The Pumpkinator's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
'rock crawling go-cart' or something - JeepForum.com

And if that's not good enough for you, here you go.
Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps thread - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

You should literally have enough content from this post to last you over a year. Learn up and report back to this thread, I bet your preferences change quite a bit. You're far overstating the importance of 'max travel' and aren't even considering what's truly important.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnDz TJ View Post
Here is a poser pic I did on a 36" wall with 33's.... you want more than this?

this is perfect, the exact setup will be exactly what i want, i dont want too much and this is just right.
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
This couldn't be quoted enough times.

You have a massive amount of research to do. And honestly, your reasoning to justify this kind of travel is just stupid.

Get learning:
Suspension Geometry - JeepForum.com

Here's a few good build threads that you should read. None of those rigs have over 12" travel shocks and all have thousands of hours and many thousands of dollars into them.
Music City Flop Project - JeepForum.com
The Pumpkinator's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
'rock crawling go-cart' or something - JeepForum.com

And if that's not good enough for you, here you go.
Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps thread - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

You should literally have enough content from this post to last you over a year. Learn up and report back to this thread, I bet your preferences change quite a bit. You're far overstating the importance of 'max travel' and aren't even considering what's truly important.
i really appreciate it, and what do you mean my logic is stupid? just curious
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,546
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz View Post
i want an insane amount of travel front and rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz View Post
this is perfect, the exact setup will be exactly what i want, i dont want too much and this is just right.
Do you argue with yourself very often?
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
Do you argue with yourself very often?
haha i was talking about the red jeep's suspension!
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,546
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz View Post
haha i was talking about the red jeep's suspension!

Have your ever disconnected your front swaybar links to see how much flex you can achieve with your current lift/shocks?
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
Have your ever disconnected your front swaybar links to see how much flex you can achieve with your current lift/shocks?
no i havent, its the standard rough country 4'' lift
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz View Post
this is perfect, the exact setup will be exactly what i want, i dont want too much and this is just right.
I can do the same with stock arms a 2" BB and a 1.25" body lift with the sway bar disco'd on 33's
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz View Post
no i havent, its the standard rough country 4'' lift
Get yourself a set of JKS quick disconnects and see what happens.
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
Do you argue with yourself very often?
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnDz TJ View Post
Here is a poser pic I did on a 36" wall with 33's.... you want more than this?

what do you have done to your suspension?
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
_KONG_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz View Post
what do you have done to your suspension?
He disconnected his front sway bar like everyone keeps telling you
_KONG_ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by _KONG_ View Post
He disconnected his front sway bar like everyone keeps telling you
yeah i see that but can any suspension do thatt with a disconnected sway bar? and if they can whats the point of 3 thousand dollar suspension kits and a 400 dollar kit with 200 dollar sway bar links?
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz View Post
yeah i see that but can any suspension do thatt with a disconnected sway bar? and if they can whats the point of 3 thousand dollar suspension kits and a 400 dollar kit with 200 dollar sway bar links?
NO you can't. If you were to try that you will likely rip your control arm mounts off the frame because RC CAs have very little flex room. All that torque has no where to go and leads to broken junk. Stock CAs have more flex than RC CAs. Upgrade them to JJs, get some long travel shocks, disconnect your stock swaybar links, and give it a try. You'd be surprised. The high dollar suspension lifts do more than just lift a Jeep up. It's all in the joints of the CAs.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
ApDubzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
NO you can't. If you were to try that you will likely rip your control arm mounts off the frame because RC CAs have very little flex room. All that torque has no where to go and leads to broken junk. Stock CAs have more flex than RC CAs. Upgrade them to JJs, get some long travel shocks, disconnect your stock swaybar links, and give it a try. You'd be surprised. The high dollar suspension lifts do more than just lift a Jeep up. It's all in the joints of the CAs.
what are "JJ's"? and would it be a good idea to get the long arm kit from rough country and convert my springs and shocks to 14'' king coilovers? or just what shocks do you suggest?
ApDubzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApDubzz View Post
what are "JJ's"? and would it be a good idea to get the long arm kit from rough country and convert my springs and shocks to 14'' king coilovers? or just what shocks do you suggest?
14" coilovers? Are you serious?

Dude, do some research instead of just reading about how awesome 14" king coilovers and long arms are.

Moabrubi is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
3 link , 4 link , lift , suspension , travel

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC