Best way to get "Lifted Look" without actually lifting - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Best way to get "Lifted Look" without actually lifting

Last week I purchased my first car- a 2000 Wrangler Sport

Well I'm sure this is a common issue with a lot of younger Jeep owners like myself.... Let me start off with that my parents are totally against me getting my Jeep lifted because they are more concerned with it flipping. That said, is there any way I can get that lifted look without actually getting a lift on it?
The only solutions I can come up with as of now are flat fenders and maybe a stiffer spring/shock like the rubicon spring coils.

I have a decent source of income so I am willing to put some money into it but I am still in college so I also want to keep it reasonable. I also like the look of bigger tires (maybe 32") but I don't really want to dump $2k on a set of new tires and wheels.

Any help is appreciated.

flyjumper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
hosejockey61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 937
Metalcloak offers some great fender options that will help you accomplish your look.

hosejockey61 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,813
Images: 11
Paint your frame rails, the inside of your wheel wells, transfer case skid, the back and ends of gas tank skid flat back so it all goes away in the shadows. That will make the body color itself appear to be a little higher. It also helps to get rid of anything that hangs down below the body like side steps etc. Larger tires will give you a little more height also, but you might as well wait until you need them.

Congrats on your new Jeep and welcome to the Forum
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Lanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lancaster PA
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
Paint your frame rails, the inside of your wheel wells, transfer case skid, the back and ends of gas tank skid flat back so it all goes away in the shadows. That will make the body color itself appear to be a little higher. It also helps to get rid of anything that hangs down below the body like side steps etc. Larger tires will give you a little more height also, but you might as well wait until you need them.

Congrats on your new Jeep and welcome to the Forum

this is a great trick. also look into the metalcloak fenders if you have the $$$ for it. should give you lots of for 32s
__________________
carpets are for living rooms

01
Sport
/ 5spd / 4.5" / 35x12.5 / 4.88

Lanco is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
TheBestCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: sandy eggo
Posts: 102
with wider tires, the jeep becomes almost as wide as it is long... flipping over isnt any issue "in my opinion" unless your sway bars are disconnected and you have 4+ inches of lift and are rock crawling or something cray... with 12.5" wide tires i think flipping would be a challenge.

grab some 2" coil spacers and some 33x12.5x15 tires and call it a day. thats what im runnin till im done moving this summer and my budget gets better
TheBestCoast is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey61 View Post
Metalcloak offers some great fender options that will help you accomplish your look.
x2

especially if you have the $ you can run 33s or bigger with no lift
HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Thanks for the advice. Working on getting the sidesteps off as of now, though it looks like I'm going to need to get more clips for the body mold as they are covering the bolts for one end of the sidestep.

I'll look into the Metalcloak flatties they look real nice though they are higher in price (probably worth it).

All this help is appreciated and if anyone has anymore advice I'm all ears!
flyjumper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,421
Images: 1
Trim your stock flares up 1". It will look lifted, but retain the stock look.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Not sure if I want to do that.. I'd be scared of screwing it up! Thanks for the suggestions!
flyjumper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
OmniscientHiers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florence, AZ
Posts: 464
Metalcloaks, 33s, and a tummy tuck would definitely give you an aggressive, lifted look.
OmniscientHiers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Congrats on your purchase!
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,421
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjumper View Post
Let me start off with that my parents are totally against me getting my Jeep lifted because they are more concerned with it flipping.
They are going to believe what they believe, but the TJ is way more stable lifted (if done right) than the old lifted leafspring CJ's that they might be used to or heard scary stories about.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15
Trimming the fenders is a bad idea.. Especially if you get wide tires, you'll need goggles if you ever go topless from all the sand and grit churned up by your tires. Flat fenders /fender flares are the way to go.. Or just trim them and buy a pair of Oakley wind jackets
skeletonkey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
smoothlandin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SE CT
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjumper View Post
Last week I purchased my first car- a 2000 Wrangler Sport

Well I'm sure this is a common issue with a lot of younger Jeep owners like myself.... Let me start off with that my parents are totally against me getting my Jeep lifted because they are more concerned with it flipping.

Any help is appreciated.
Why don't you do a bunch of research on the subject of jeep stability, and then present your findings to your parents?
I'm sure you can prove that a mild lift, some bigger tires, and maybe even some wheels with less backspacing will actually be safer on the road. Explain that your stock parts are old and worn out, and will surely be more susceptible to failure than your new 2" lift. And finally, that your Bilstein shocks and Old Man Emu springs will actually make your jeep ride better than it did from the factory.
smoothlandin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
SweetTeaDrinkerTJ98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania, 1 hour away from Erie.
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothlandin View Post
Why don't you do a bunch of research on the subject of jeep stability, and then present your findings to your parents?
I'm sure you can prove that a mild lift, some bigger tires, and maybe even some wheels with less backspacing will actually be safer on the road. Explain that your stock parts are old and worn out, and will surely be more susceptible to failure than your new 2" lift. And finally, that your Bilstein shocks and Old Man Emu springs will actually make your jeep ride better than it did from the factory.
Wouldn't you want more backspacing? I'm confused as to how the terminology for backspacing works.

My dad is fairly redneck as he grew up in Nebraska so he really doesn't care if I lift it or if I bury it with street tires, because he did the same thing.
My mom is a little more passive so I just told her if I lift it I need (want) bigger tires to stabilize the Jeep. Backspaced steel wheels will make you really stable too just check the laws where you live because all my buddies get pulled over for not having wide enough fenders over the tires.
__________________
1998 4 banger stock. 31" Mastercraft Courser M/Ts

SweetTeaDrinkerTJ98 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
hosejockey61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 937
The more back spacing you have brings the tires closer to the frame. Less back spacing pushes your tires out from the frame.

When you see a Jeep that looks like it has a really wide stance, it's due to wheels with less back spacing.
hosejockey61 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
JakeBreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBestCoast View Post
with wider tires, the jeep becomes almost as wide as it is long... flipping over isnt any issue "in my opinion" unless your sway bars are disconnected and you have 4+ inches of lift and are rock crawling or something cray... with 12.5" wide tires i think flipping would be a challenge.

grab some 2" coil spacers and some 33x12.5x15 tires and call it a day. thats what im runnin till im done moving this summer and my budget gets better
I second this... If you get a four inch, you can get 33's or hell, you can fit 35's u der a four inch. But if your parents are worried about it flipping, get 33 12.50 or 35 12.50.
JakeBreen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,269
Tuck everything that hangs low up....t-case skid, gas tank skid. And run larger tires. Trim the front bumper so that it terminates at the end of the frame rails. There are plenty of ways to make your Jeep look better and less derpy, all while improving actual offroad function.

BTW, your parents should apply a little logic to the situation instead of blindly just saying you're "going to flip." You should also show them some videos of high performance Jeeps in extreme off-camber situations. Properly built Jeeps are actually incredibly balanced. These aren't the old narrow-track CJ's of your parents' days.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
X4 on the Metal CLoak fenders......gives a lifted look.....allows you to run 33's and 35" tires without lifting. Here is an LJ.....no lift 35" tires with MC fenders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MC LJ.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	274389  
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
speedyrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 189
How about new 1.25" body.... ummm "bushings"?
speedyrev is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
NCJeepin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Connelly Springs, North Carolina
Posts: 3,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyrev View Post
How about new 1.25" body.... ummm "bushings"?
Lol, good thinking. On that note, I have a Prothane 1" body lift that replaces the stock body mounts. OP could get this lift, or rather body mount kit, and gain 1" of height while retaining a pretty factory look.
__________________
When in doubt, power out!
NCJeepin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJeepin View Post
Lol, good thinking. On that note, I have a Prothane 1" body lift that replaces the stock body mounts. OP could get this lift, or rather body mount kit, and gain 1" of height while retaining a pretty factory look.
My dad thinks body lifts are dumb because they just lift the body up without giving more travel on the suspension. I feel like they might actually have some function for off-roading because of the added clearance?

Just trying to come up with some facts to present to my dad..

Thanks for all the help everyone.
flyjumper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
jeeptjrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJO View Post
X4 on the Metal CLoak fenders......gives a lifted look.....allows you to run 33's and 35" tires without lifting. Here is an LJ.....no lift 35" tires with MC fenders.
That looks sick!! I've always liked the low look with big tires kinda like a baja truck...
jeeptjrider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
WVU Mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJO View Post
X4 on the Metal CLoak fenders......gives a lifted look.....allows you to run 33's and 35" tires without lifting. Here is an LJ.....no lift 35" tires with MC fenders.
How could you get any flex out of this. Doesn't look like very much at all? Am I missing something?
WVU Mountainman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjumper View Post
My dad thinks body lifts are dumb because they just lift the body up without giving more travel on the suspension. I feel like they might actually have some function for off-roading because of the added clearance?

Just trying to come up with some facts to present to my dad..

Thanks for all the help everyone.
It's 1"......

There's more to a properly built Jeep than "flex."

Neither of you really know what you're talking about so it's kind of a waste of everyone's time.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,421
Images: 1
flyjumper, thinking about this more and since you just bought the Jeep...take your time and do lots of research before you start changing it. Drive the Jeep for a year as-is and by then you will know your Jeep and you will gain knowledge of what your Jeep is asking for.

In the mean time, focus on maintenance and items to keep it reliable and running smooth. Keep researchin!
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #27
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU Mountainman View Post
How could you get any flex out of this. Doesn't look like very much at all? Am I missing something?
Obviously "flex" will remain stock. But stock "flex" is better than people give it credit for. He could improve offroad flex just by adding a Currie Antirock or ORO DR swayloc up front.
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #28
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
flyjumper, thinking about this more and since you just bought the Jeep...take your time and do lots of research before you start changing it. Drive the Jeep for a year as-is and by then you will know your Jeep and you will gain knowledge of what your Jeep is asking for.

In the mean time, focus on maintenance and items to keep it reliable and running smooth. Keep researchin!
That's what my dad keeps telling me... and he's probably right. I probably won't make any changes on it until next summer whether its my decision or not.
My dad is a car freak and we have been working on this thing every night this week, changing oil, spark plugs, transmission fluid...etc till we get this thing running great (even though it runs good now).
flyjumper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
It's 1"......

There's more to a properly built Jeep than "flex."

Neither of you really know what you're talking about so it's kind of a waste of everyone's time.
IMPED gives good advice.

Actually having a 1" BL does a lot of good done right(which IMO means a 1" BL, 1" steering riser mount and a 1" MML IMO).

One big advantage to the 1" BL setup is that it allows you to do a nice tight tummy tuck properly gaining 2-3" on average. 2-3" tummy tuck is in reality equal to 2-3" suspension lift since it improves the weak point on the TJ which is its break over angle.

Another advantage is that you have more room around the frame rails for access to the frame for cleaning and rust removal, and access to some fasters that can be a bear to get at when the body is tight to the frame rails. And a 1" BL isn't even noticeable looks wise unless you have a trained eye.
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #30
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
flyjumper, thinking about this more and since you just bought the Jeep...take your time and do lots of research before you start changing it. Drive the Jeep for a year as-is and by then you will know your Jeep and you will gain knowledge of what your Jeep is asking for.

In the mean time, focus on maintenance and items to keep it reliable and running smooth. Keep researchin!
I agree, take time do research. My build though mild by many standards has had a lot of work done just for a 2-2.5" lift. And I spent thousands of dollars. BUt the key is that I spent thousands of dollars only once......not twice or more because of lack of research.

NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC