can i change my 3.07 gear ratio to a higher gear ratio - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Posts: 296
can i change my 3.07 gear ratio to a higher gear ratio

I need to do My 01 wrangler sport differentials. The bearing are bad. I was only just going to do the bearing but im not sure if the gears are bad. So im thinking of changing the gears to. My qustion is what do i have to do to change gear ratio can i just buy the gears and the the bearings and put them on or do i have to change everything in the diff like the spider gear and what what ever else is in there.

timothy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,021
I'm not 100% sure what all you need but if you are replacing the 3.07 gears already, why not upgrade them to 4.10's or 4.56's if you have oversize tires?
Only downside to upgrading your gears to a lower ratio (higher numerical number) is you'd also have to replace the gears in the front if you want to use 4 wheel drive

PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,026
Images: 2
What size tires are you running, and which transmission are you running, the automatic or 5 speed? And do you plan on going to bigger size tires in the foreseeable future?
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
KingTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 148
Interested in this as well. I have stock 3.07 gears and am running the 4.0L auto. I currently am running 32x11.50 and have heard that jumping to a 3.73 would be more idea. I've also heard that 3.73 is the cut off where I wouldn't have to replace the carriers and would have to just get a new ring and pinion. Not sure if that's completely true. Hopefully jerry can shed some light on this situation.
__________________
MPG's? What are these things you speak of?
KingTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,862
If you are not familiar on how to set up gears, it is not just a remove and replace operation.
__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
KingTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atthehop
If you are not familiar on how to set up gears, it is not just a remove and replace operation.
No intention of doing it myself. A friend of mine runs a garage where I'm from and he has his guys do work for me for little to nothing, I just buy the parts. I'm pretty handy and work on just about everything else myself but when it comes to gears I'm a deer in headlights. Therefore if I know what materials I need I can have him and his guys quote me a price for labor.
__________________
MPG's? What are these things you speak of?
KingTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
What size tires are you running, and which transmission are you running, the automatic or 5 speed? And do you plan on going to bigger size tires in the foreseeable future?
I have a 5 speed nv3550 trans. Im running i think 31 and no im not going to go bigger
timothy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,557
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTJ View Post
No intention of doing it myself. A friend of mine runs a garage where I'm from and he has his guys do work for me for little to nothing, I just buy the parts. I'm pretty handy and work on just about everything else myself but when it comes to gears I'm a deer in headlights. Therefore if I know what materials I need I can have him and his guys quote me a price for labor.
Personally, I would have them order "all the parts". That way if there is a issue with a part or installation, they will deal with it and it won't be on you to resolve. They might even get the parts at a better price.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
I have a 5 speed nv3550 trans. Im running i think 31 and no im not going to go bigger

That's what I said. Carriers are cheap. Not to say you will ever go bigger, but if its a remote possibility and you're regearing anyway, might as well plan for just one more step up, maybe 33's. That way you don't feel stuck with what you have down the road by only gearing for 31's.
beerly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerly View Post

That's what I said. Carriers are cheap. Not to say you will ever go bigger, but if its a remote possibility and you're regearing anyway, might as well plan for just one more step up, maybe 33's. That way you don't feel stuck with what you have down the road by only gearing for 31's.
Yeah your right
timothy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Posts: 296
Do i have to chang the spider gear to for the new gears ir can i use the one i have
timothy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 40
I'm pretty sure the spider gears are swappable and are specific to the actual diff (D30 and D35). I have had to replace spiders in the front and rear and the only specification when buying them were the differentials. I'm getting ready to regear to 4.56 (for 33's) and all I bought were the ring and pinions, carriers and rebuild kits.
beerly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerly View Post
I'm pretty sure the spider gears are swappable and are specific to the actual diff (D30 and D35). I have had to replace spiders in the front and rear and the only specification when buying them were the differentials. I'm getting ready to regear to 4.56 (for 33's) and all I bought were the ring and pinions, carriers and rebuild kits.
Oh ok
timothy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,026
Images: 2
Yes the spider gears don't care if it's a high or low ratio case, they just are particular to axle model like Dana 30 or Dana 44.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Yes the spider gears don't care if it's a high or low ratio case, they just are particular to axle model like Dana 30 or Dana 44.
Ok that good to know. So all i need is new master bearing kit (that i already have) new ring and pinion (3.55 or 3.73 ratio) new carrior do i need new carrior for both differential somone told me i dont have to change carrior on dana 30 i can go deeper without change carrior but i have to change the rear dana 35 carrior is that true. Is there anything else i need to do to change gears.
timothy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Ok that good to know. So all i need is new master bearing kit (that i already have) new ring and pinion (3.55 or 3.73 ratio) new carrior do i need new carrior for both differential somone told me i dont have to change carrior on dana 30 i can go deeper without change carrior but i have to change the rear dana 35 carrior is that true. Is there anything else i need to do to change gears.
The carrier break for the D35 is 3.55/3.73. Anything 3.55 and numerically lower and you can re use your carrier, anything 3.73 and numerically higher and you need a new carrier. I would highly suggest you go with 4.10. It is my opinion that no TJ should have ever came with anything numerically lower than 4.10.

Your front D30 has the same carrier break, however some companies make thick cut gears. This means you could run 4.10 thick cut gears on the 3.55 and numerically lower carrier.
__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
00TJSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oneonta NY
Posts: 679
Images: 5
Not trying to butt in...but how do I tell of I have a low or high pinion?

__________________
2000 TJ, newly remand 4.0, 3.25" Rough Country lift, Metalcloak control arms, Tom Woods DS, Advance Adapters SYE, Crown HD steering, 33x12.50x15 Wild Country MTX's, 4.10 gears
Air Force/Desert Storm Vet
00TJSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC