Can someone explain what exactly I need? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
getalildirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 284
Can someone explain what exactly I need?

I have been reading suspension lift threads for a long time now and I see so much confusion on what is exactly needed for a lift. If somebody could clear this up for future people looking for the same answer that would be awesome. If I want a simple suspension lift under 3" what exact parts do i need to swap in and out?

__________________
'Merica
getalildirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,628
Figure on some or many of the following components: new wheels of the proper backspacing, new tires, springs of your choice, shocks of the proper length, longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, regearing, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.

UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
WaterDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,339
There is really nothing that simple about lifting a jeep much more than 3 inches. Keeping the lift to 2 inches and all you need are springs and the proper length shocks.
WaterDR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,167
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
Figure on some or many of the following components: new wheels of the proper backspacing, new tires, springs of your choice, shocks of the proper length, longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, regearing, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.
Woah wait a minute, slow down and re-read his question, he wants a small suspension lift under 3", he doesnt need half the stuff you just mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getalildirty View Post
I have been reading suspension lift threads for a long time now and I see so much confusion on what is exactly needed for a lift. If somebody could clear this up for future people looking for the same answer that would be awesome. If I want a simple suspension lift under 3" what exact parts do i need to swap in and out?
So less than 3", what size tires are you wanting to run? You can do a 2" budget boost for $50 and if you wanted to go abit bigger for 33's just add a 1.25body lift and 1" motor mount lift $150. These are the only parts you'll need for a 3.25" lift
__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 4"N20 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml Swaybarless-F&R 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA_Rider View Post
he doesnt need half the stuff you just mentioned.
that depends on your personal definition of "works"...and how well you want it to "work".
UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,167
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
that depends on your personal definition of "works"...and how well you want it to "work".
Well Im running the same setup as I mentioned in my last post (no lockers)and I have been doing what guys with 35's and lockers have been doing with no problem. I have great flex, I made it farther up the RTI than a guy with 8" lift and 35s, while keeping a real low center of gravity and keeping its on road manners.

If you dont believe me ask Goldensahara he's running 4.25 (3" springs/1.25bl) and he has been doing the same thing, no sye/cv.
__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 4"N20 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml Swaybarless-F&R 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA_Rider View Post
Well Im running the same setup as I mentioned in my last post (no lockers)and I have been doing what guys with 35's and lockers have been doing with no problem. I have great flex, I made it farther up the RTI than a guy with 8" lift and 35s, while keeping a real low center of gravity and keeping its on road manners.
none of this really says much of anything tho. if you're doing the same stuff as somebody else with 35s and lockers, then it means you don't need 35s and lockers to go there. and even though RTI ramps are kinda useless, if you make it farther up an RTI ramp than somebody with 8" of lift and 35's, it just means that guy's junk isn't setup very smartly at all.
UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,167
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
none of this really says much of anything tho. if you're doing the same stuff as somebody else with 35s and lockers, then it means you don't need 35s and lockers to go there. and even though RTI ramps are kinda useless, if you make it farther up an RTI ramp than somebody with 8" of lift and 35's, it just means that guy's junk isn't setup very smartly at all.
The guys with 35s were having a hard time, and just because I didnt spend a fortune on my lift doesnt mean that it wont keep up or surpass some of the high priced ones.

Sometimes you need to experiment for yourself, you might find a betterway of doing things.
__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 4"N20 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml Swaybarless-F&R 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
getalildirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
There is really nothing that simple about lifting a jeep much more than 3 inches. Keeping the lift to 2 inches and all you need are springs and the proper length shocks.
Thats what I was asking, thanks. So is there a kit out there that includes that? I would also be able to install that myself correct?
__________________
'Merica
getalildirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA_Rider View Post
Sometimes you need to experiment for yourself, you might find a betterway of doing things.
i've done a whole bunch of experimenting

Quote:
Originally Posted by getalildirty View Post
I would also be able to install that myself correct?
yup. lift installs are fairly straight forward, just time consuming.
UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
getalildirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 284
Will a floor jack, and handtools do the job?
__________________
'Merica
getalildirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by getalildirty View Post
Will a floor jack, and handtools do the job?
a big floor jack & 6-ton jack stands, metric sockets from 36mm to 8mm, similar sized standard sockets, similar sized open/box end wrenches, and a T55 to T10 torx set will do most things on a jeep
UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,167
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by getalildirty View Post
I would also be able to install that myself correct?
Yes, installation is usually fairly straight forward and if you have questions that your instructions dont answer then Google it, theres write-ups on almost every lift. Give yourself a weekend so you dont have to rush through it
__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 4"N20 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml Swaybarless-F&R 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
getalildirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 284
Alright so are there springs and shocks made for what im looking to do?
__________________
'Merica
getalildirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Jeep21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 129
I just did a 3" suspension lift, it was a budget lift and it cakes with the coil spacers and shocks for $200 off eBay. Hand tools did the job
Jeep21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
WaterDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by getalildirty

Thats what I was asking, thanks. So is there a kit out there that includes that? I would also be able to install that myself correct?
There are quite a few options. Don't do anything that just adds spacers.

BDS is a nice option.

Btw, I just helped my brother and my daughters boy friend buy wranglers. Amazing how many out there have lifts that were horribly done. In fact, it is my observation that the majority out there are messed up or just done cheaply.

In both cases we ended up only buying jeeps with no lifts.
WaterDR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Jeep21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 129
What can go wrong if you just instal spacers?
Jeep21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,167
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep21 View Post
What can go wrong if you just instal spacers?
Nothing except possible driveline vibes, which can be fixed by adding a couple of power washers between the tcase skid and the frame or by adding a bl/mml

Stock shocks are long enough for a 2bb, as is stock swaybar links, brakelines, and track bars
__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 4"N20 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml Swaybarless-F&R 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Jeep21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 129
I do get vibes between 20 nd 30 MPH. It all happened after the lift. And what exactly are power washers
Jeep21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,167
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep21 View Post
I do get vibes between 20 nd 30 MPH. It all happened after the lift. And what exactly are power washers
Sorry, im typing on my phone

Just some regular washers you would get at home depot or ace
__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 4"N20 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml Swaybarless-F&R 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Jeep21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 129
Where would they go? I need as much help as possible I'm sort of a newbie
Jeep21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,167
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep21 View Post
Where would they go? I need as much help as possible I'm sort of a newbie
Between your transfercase skid and the frame

__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 4"N20 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml Swaybarless-F&R 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Jeep21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 129
And what's this do?
Jeep21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,167
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep21 View Post
And what's this do?
It lowers your transfer case, inturn getting rid of driveline vibes by decreasing the angle of the drive shaft
__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 4"N20 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml Swaybarless-F&R 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
WaterDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,339
It also decreases some of your ground clearance that you just gained by the lift.

I actually replaced my transfer case mount with a thinner one. That dropped the transmission without dropping the skid plate. Not sure why more people don't do that.
WaterDR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
WaterDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep21
What can go wrong if you just instal spacers?
Spacers are silly IMO. All you do is raise the springs and in turn change your ride geometry and get no improvement in ride quality.

If your are gonna do all the work to install spacers, replace the springs and shocks and do it right.

Spacers are just a cheap way to get the Jeep off the ground.

Just my $.02
WaterDR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
CMA_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 3,167
Send a message via Yahoo to CMA_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post

Spacers are silly IMO. All you do is raise the springs and in turn change your ride geometry and get no improvement in ride quality.

If your are gonna do all the work to install spacers, replace the springs and shocks and do it right.

Spacers are just a cheap way to get the Jeep off the ground.

Just my $.02
My 2bb gave me a better ride, and some people get em cause they dont have the money for the lift they want so they use bb's as a stepping stone. Thats what im doing
__________________
2003 White TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed D44 w/ Aussie Locker 3.73 tow pkg 3"BDS, 4"N20 Shocks 1.25bl 1.25mml Swaybarless-F&R 33x12.50r15
2001 customized Suzuki Intruder 1500 100hp Harley Killer
70 CJ5 Build
CMA_Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA_Rider

My 2bb gave me a better ride, and some people get em cause they dont have the money for the lift they want so they use bb's as a stepping stone. Thats what im doing
How did a bb give you a better ride when all your doing us putting a piece of plastic on top of the factory coil? Not trying to be an ass, but Im just wondering how it improved the ride?
Pink_Percy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA_Rider View Post
It lowers your transfer case, inturn getting rid of driveline vibes by decreasing the angle of the drive shaft
Actually, it gets rid of vibrations mostly by bringing the transfer case out put shaft closer to parallel with the pinion shaft.
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
IslandTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935'
Posts: 2,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
BDS is a nice option.
Great 2" lift .

__________________
1998 TJ Moss Green Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather

Edit: "Now jeepin in Oregon"
IslandTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.



Jeep«, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC