center console speaker - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 19
Smile center console speaker

My center console speaker blew in my 04 colombia edition and I cannot find any info on what kind of speaker it is to replace it. Anyone know anything about it?

timmy86 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Roxtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Henning, TN
Posts: 22

Roxtar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 19
Thank you. That's kind of what I was looking for. I have a 6.5" speaker but it's only 40w rated power.... guess I have to find a sub.
timmy86 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
BigCrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy86 View Post
Thank you. That's kind of what I was looking for. I have a 6.5" speaker but it's only 40w rated power.... guess I have to find a sub.
Make sure if you replace your sub and are using the built- in factory amp, you replace it with one that has 2ohm dual voice coils. Do not confuse that with a sub that has dual 4ohm coils and is stable at 2ohms. It needs to be 2ohm dual coils.
BigCrave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Big Sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chester Virginia
Posts: 2,960
__________________
click the link below to view my Custom Jeep shifters, pool ball shifters. College Teams now available
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/custom-camo-pool-ball-shifters-224388.html

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Big Sarge is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
VTBalla34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Agreed. This sub is twice as good as the stock. Just replaced mine last weekend.

Though I used the one ohm version. I had read up on it and somehow decided that was adequate since the stock amp is not really 2 ohms but more like 1.4 IIRC. Hope this is OK.
VTBalla34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Big Sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chester Virginia
Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBalla34 View Post
Agreed. This sub is twice as good as the stock. Just replaced mine last weekend.

Though I used the one ohm version. I had read up on it and somehow decided that was adequate since the stock amp is not really 2 ohms but more like 1.4 IIRC. Hope this is OK.
Yeah you must have read the thread where myself and another member were discussing this. There is a .2 difference in the actual ohm rating of the kicker 1 ohm and factory "2" ohm sub. I too used the 1 ohm version and have nothing bad to say about it, nor have i experienced issues.
__________________
click the link below to view my Custom Jeep shifters, pool ball shifters. College Teams now available
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/custom-camo-pool-ball-shifters-224388.html

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Big Sarge is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Posumlounge is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 534
Send a message via Yahoo to ChaddG
I wish I would have known about that before I wired up the aftermarket sub and amp. Guess I should have researched harder.
ChaddG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,429
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posumlounge View Post
I can answer that question. hehe. It is probably because it doesn't even give the RMS rating. It is basically just a stock subwoofer, or less. Someone said that a customer blew that one as fast as their OEM. I would therefore assume that since the OEM amp is rated at 50RMS, then the Quad is probably about 50RMS, maybe 60. With a good aftermarket HU, its easy to blow it. This is because you need more than 50RMS on your sub, if your HU is 50watts. Your sub needs more power to hear it. This is probably why everyone is blowing their OEM sub with their aftermarket HU, trying to hear it above their speakers.

If you look at most 5-channel amps, the sub is much higher than the speaker channels because the sub needs more power.(Ex:Alpine PDX-V9 100watts speakers vs. 500watts sub)

My analogy would be: tap a high frequency glass with a fork. It doesn't take much to hear it ring loud. Tap a low frequency floor board, and you will barely hear it. You have to stoop it with your foot, to get the force/power to make it sound as loud as the glass. From what I'm seeing, it takes about five times as much power to get decent sound.

I would therefore think that you really need a 200-250watt RMS sub to work well with a 50watt RMS headunit.

Although, these alleged 50watt RMS HU are not really 50watts RMS. Most of the time, the loudness button is used to "kick-in" the built-in amp. The THD rating given is associated with the normal, let's say, 18watts RMS, and they say 50RMS max. But, with that 50RMS from the loudness button, you can blow your OEM subs because of all the distortion. You could probably blow a 100watt RMS sub with all that distortion. This is why I never use the loudness button, because it can blow your speakers with all the distortion.

I will probably get flamed for being so "winded", but that's just me. Sorry.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,429
Images: 2
Can a 135 watt (max) amp. blow a speaker rated at 200 watts?

Answer: YES.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
BigCrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 275
It doesn't matter how many watts your stereo puts out. It just provides the signal to the amp that powers the sub. OEM subs are designed to work with OEM head units that are heavily processed. They're designed so that as you turn it way up, the processor in your HU cuts back on the bass so as not to damage the speakers. Aftermarket units don't cut back on processing as volume goes up. The only speakers that are directly related to the wattage being pushed by a new head unit are the front and rear if they are wired directly to the HU and not through the RCA outputs to an amp. Even though the sub takes its signal from the high level speaker outputs, it still just serves as signal for the OEM amp which provides the wattage for the sub.
BigCrave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,429
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCrave View Post
It doesn't matter how many watts your stereo puts out.
I disagree. It matters in relation to your sub amp power. If your HU puts out 50wattsRMS to the speakers and your sub amp only puts out 50RMS to the sub, how are you going to hear the sub over your speakers?

This is the reason why, for example, a PDX-V9, supplies 100WattsRMS to the speakers and 500watts RMS to the sub.

Rockford Fosgate-40watts speakers vs. 200watts sub.

So, with a 50watt stereo you really need a 250watt sub amp. A 50watt sub amp is not enough power. This is why everyone is blowing their subwoofer speakers. Too much distortion and too little power.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
BigCrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasUGC View Post
I disagree. It matters in relation to your sub amp power. If your HU puts out 50wattsRMS to the speakers and your sub amp only puts out 50RMS to the sub, how are you going to hear the sub over your speakers? This is the reason why, for example, a PDX-V9, supplies 100WattsRMS to the speakers and 500watts RMS to the sub. Rockford Fosgate-40watts speakers vs. 200watts sub. So, with a 50watt stereo you really need a 250watt sub amp. A 50watt sub amp is not enough power. This is why everyone is blowing their subwoofer speakers. Too much distortion and too little power.
I don't know of any head units putting out 50 watts RMS. Most put out 18-22 watts rms. Besides that, most music above a subs frequency level won't use all of that wattage anyway. So if the OEM amp is pushing 50rms and your other 4 speakers are using an aftermarket radio at 18-22 rms the sound will be fine without distorting a sub and blowing it. You would have to be running a competition style sub to want to use 250 watts rms on it and even then it wouldn't fit in the factory console. To get a 3db gain in sound which is noticeable by ear, you have to double power. 25rms on radio and 50rms amp will give you that 3db gain.
BigCrave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Big Sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chester Virginia
Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posumlounge View Post
Because they are over priced garbage!
__________________
click the link below to view my Custom Jeep shifters, pool ball shifters. College Teams now available
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/custom-camo-pool-ball-shifters-224388.html

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Big Sarge is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,429
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCrave View Post
So if the OEM amp is pushing 50rms and your other 4 speakers are using an aftermarket radio at 18-22 rms the sound will be fine without distorting a sub and blowing it.
Then, maybe you can explain why everyone is blowing their OEM subs with their aftermarket HU?
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
48Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 170
I wired up my amps up to my system and it rocks! Lol

48Sam is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
BigCrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasUGC View Post
Then, maybe you can explain why everyone is blowing their OEM subs with their aftermarket HU?
I can't speak for everyone else's equipment, but my OEM sub blew because of age and a breakdown of the foam surround. I replaced it with an automotive Bose speaker with dual 2ohm voice coils from an Oldsmobile. It runs off the OEM amp and sounds like a champ.

What I can tell you is that if you try run an OEM sub with 250 watts, it won't last as long as it took you to read this.

BigCrave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
console , sound system , speakers , stereo

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC