Cheap, Easy, Fun CREATIVE MODS - Page 121 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #3601
Jeeper
 
Springsblueyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaufman_95

First off. I think that will look BA. Second I'd fill it with JB weld, then use a tap and die set to thread it.
X2 that will be look awesome!

Springsblueyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #3602
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 7,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiver View Post
Looking to turn this 3 dollar pencil sharpener into my new shifter, maybe with an LED light for the face plate. Any ideas on fillers ( it's hallow) or how to wire that?
Dear Lord that would be awesome... With a spooky green or blue led "The Fog" movie light.... Holy Crap!

CrazyBull is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #3603
Jeeper
 
TJDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 183
So here is my question, what to splice the LED too? The 12v it will always be on, is there anything around the tranny that sends a pulse signal? Anything not constant? It would be like a way of my jeep communicating with me:-) anyway, just ideas ive been bouncing around. I'll be sure to post finished product!
__________________
Jeep: A four-wheel drive vehicle of one-half- to one-and-one-half-ton capacity for reconnaissance or other army duty.
TJDiver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #3604
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiver
So here is my question, what to splice the LED too? The 12v it will always be on, is there anything around the tranny that sends a pulse signal? Anything not constant? It would be like a way of my jeep communicating with me:-) anyway, just ideas ive been bouncing around. I'll be sure to post finished product!
I'd wire it to come on with the dash lights.
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #3605
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiver
Looking to turn this 3 dollar pencil sharpener into my new shifter, maybe with an LED light for the face plate. Any ideas on fillers ( it's hallow) or how to wire that?
If you want lighting look into tridium. There are ways to make that work. It be low intensity and only show at night.
KidRock171 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #3606
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaufman_95

I'd wire it to come on with the dash lights.
This would be my second choice.
KidRock171 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #3607
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiver View Post
So here is my question, what to splice the LED too? The 12v it will always be on, is there anything around the tranny that sends a pulse signal? Anything not constant? It would be like a way of my jeep communicating with me:-) anyway, just ideas ive been bouncing around. I'll be sure to post finished product!
I would run that wire to the back of your radio, there is a switched 12v wire back there. also, Im not sure if the cigar lighter is a constant 12v or if it turns on and off with the key but thats also an option.
__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #3608
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilYeller

I would run that wire to the back of your radio, there is a switched 12v wire back there. also, Im not sure if the cigar lighter is a constant 12v or if it turns on and off with the key but thats also an option.
The cig lighter is switched with the ignition
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #3609
Jeeper
 
Once Far Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Goshen, NY
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekaz1 View Post
What about bumper coating the bumper. That things rough!
Next project. The flares were worse, so they got it first. I have to wire wheel the rust on my trailer hitch before I paint it all but it's going to be raining all week.
Once Far Off is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #3610
Jeeper
 
Once Far Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Goshen, NY
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilYeller View Post
Stop arguing over petty BS that has nothing to do with this thread.

And now to get Back on track....

Painted my calipers:


And my diff cover for my new F8.8 rear axle:


I used 320 grit paper and brake parts cleaner to clean off the excess dirt and grime. Hit it with self etching primer (melds the paint into the metal) and then used engine enamel paint that can withstand the heat that will be generated.


By the way in case you dont have one of these tools, GET ONE! they save your fingertips when using alot of rattle cans, not that we use those alot lmao.

That's awesome yeller. And +1 on the arguing.
Once Far Off is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #3611
Jeeper
 
Once Far Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Goshen, NY
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJspeed View Post
How did you mount the mirrors?
The mounting brackets were included when I got them from Morris:

Mirror Kit Black "CJ" Style 7628

And BTW they're awesome. No problem viewing passenger side with or without doors...
Once Far Off is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #3612
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Once Far Off

The mounting brackets were included when I got them from Morris:

Mirror Kit Black "CJ" Style 7628

And BTW they're awesome. No problem viewing passenger side with or without doors...
Awesome thank you!
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #3613
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver Island BC Canada
Posts: 148
What is a good paint to paint my black hard top ?
mollyg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #3614
Jeeper
 
Richey81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilYeller
Stop arguing over petty BS that has nothing to do with this thread.

And now to get Back on track....

Painted my calipers:

And my diff cover for my new F8.8 rear axle:

I used 320 grit paper and brake parts cleaner to clean off the excess dirt and grime. Hit it with self etching primer (melds the paint into the metal) and then used engine enamel paint that can withstand the heat that will be generated.

By the way in case you dont have one of these tools, GET ONE! they save your fingertips when using alot of rattle cans, not that we use those alot lmao.
As usual your stuff looks great yeller. How hard was your prep work on your diff covers.
Sorry for the disagreement that got us off track for a moment. Just trying to help educate what people don't always know didn't know I was gonna hurt anyone's pride by responding or I would haven't said anything about exhaust at all lol
Richey81 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #3615
Jeeper
 
Blackpony04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Youngstown, New York
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyg View Post
What is a good paint to paint my black hard top ?
Is your hardtop scratched up or just faded? I only ask because I use Turtle Wax Trim Restorer on mine when it gets faded and it looks brand new for 6+ months and takes only about 10 minutes to apply. Mine goes from a dull grayish black to a semigloss black that actually reflects the sun! Just a thought if you're only trying to combat a dull finish.
__________________
'12 Black Sport JK
Blackpony04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #3616
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyg
What is a good paint to paint my black hard top ?
I'd use a light textured paint myself, it will stand up to scratches better.
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #3617
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 View Post
The cig lighter is switched with the ignition


Then thats where I would hook it up personally. or behind the radio.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey81 View Post
As usual your stuff looks great yeller. How hard was your prep work on your diff covers.
Sorry for the disagreement that got us off track for a moment. Just trying to help educate what people don't always know didn't know I was gonna hurt anyone's pride by responding or I would haven't said anything about exhaust at all lol

Its all good now and were back on track. The prep wrok was easy. like I said its a matter of sanding off the old crap and getting to metal (or close to it at least lol) then the self etching primer does the rest, that stuff is great, I did my front diff with the same stuff a long time ago and theres not even a scratch.
__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #3618
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,591
Got a question for yall... what decals should I leave on or take off? My son helped me name the Jeep DarkStar and helped me pick out the font (tho I guided him alot in that area lol).


I'm thinking take off the wrangler sticker for sure, but I'm on the edge about the Rubiclone sticker. If I leave the rubiclone sticker then I might just go get some barbed wire pinstripe and add it onto it. Not sure so I figured I would ask some like minded people.
__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #3619
Jeeper
 
flameredTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bucks Co, Pa
Posts: 702
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilYeller
Got a question for yall... what decals should I leave on or take off? My son helped me name the Jeep DarkStar and helped me pick out the font (tho I guided him alot in that area lol).

I'm thinking take off the wrangler sticker for sure, but I'm on the edge about the Rubiclone sticker. If I leave the rubiclone sticker then I might just go get some barbed wire pinstripe and add it onto it. Not sure so I figured I would ask some like minded people.
I would remove the wrangler and rubiclone sticker if it were mine. Just not a big fan of the rubiclone myself. Jmo.
flameredTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #3620
Jeeper
 
kshaws21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast Ga. Mountains
Posts: 1,100
Rubiclone and Darkstar would be gone on day one if it were mine, but you named it so....
kshaws21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #3621
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilYeller
Got a question for yall... what decals should I leave on or take off? My son helped me name the Jeep DarkStar and helped me pick out the font (tho I guided him alot in that area lol).

I'm thinking take off the wrangler sticker for sure, but I'm on the edge about the Rubiclone sticker. If I leave the rubiclone sticker then I might just go get some barbed wire pinstripe and add it onto it. Not sure so I figured I would ask some like minded people.
Darkstar and wrangler and the decepticons and get an autobots on there and a TJ decal
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #3622
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
Automatic shifter mod

This probably costs less than $5 to do and is some what unspectacular, but I haven't seen many examples of it other than merely sticking a shifter knob on it and pressing down on it. That seemed kind of sketchy to me so I did this in about 15 minutes.

Lego Minotaur cut a hole on top for me


You can also see my shifter boots, yay


Swift is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #3623
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,591
Well the wrangler sticker is gone now. The rubiclone will probably be gone tomorrow after it heats up a bit. But I cant take off the decepticon logo or darkstar since my son picked those out. If you have kids then you will understand why lol.
__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #3624
Jeeper
 
Once Far Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Goshen, NY
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameredTJ View Post
I would remove the wrangler and rubiclone sticker if it were mine. Just not a big fan of the rubiclone myself. Jmo.
This. Your Jeep is so epic the Rubiclone is unnecessary...
Once Far Off is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #3625
Jeeper
 
04whitetj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hums99 View Post
Purchased half doors from scrap yard for $50 for both no rust, painted the interior panels black. Now I just need to paint the doors to match.

Attachment 124148



Attachment 124149
Super jealous of this! Wish I could get a junkyard find like that!!
04whitetj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #3626
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04whitetj

Super jealous of this! Wish I could get a junkyard find like that!!
X2 I paid 250 for one a couple months ago
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #3627
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilYeller
Well the wrangler sticker is gone now. The rubiclone will probably be gone tomorrow after it heats up a bit. But I cant take off the decepticon logo or darkstar since my son picked those out. If you have kids then you will understand why lol.
Lol its all about autobots. But fare enough.
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #3628
Jeeper
 
Black.Jeep.Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Murphy, NC
Posts: 212
yea autobots all the way lol but i understand. and i would remove the rubiclone decal also
__________________
99 Wranlger TJ
Black.Jeep.Alex is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #3629
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black.Jeep.Alex
. and i would remove the rubiclone decal also
Yep. I find them pretty tacky. Similar to 90's edition rice burners. No use trying to brag about the rig that you built to match another factory rig. Build it bigger and better, Make it your own. Not a clone.
Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #3630
Jeeper
 
merkurxr4ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: hightstown NJ
Posts: 71
For anyone that took off the wrangler sticker.. is it faded behind it? have a 2000 tj and wanted to take off the wrangler sticker just not if its faded

merkurxr4ti is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheap JK mods please share NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 JK General Discussion Forum 1661 Yesterday 04:05 PM
Cheap, Easy Mod for the Doors Off Guys (and Gals) 05GT-O.C.D. TJ General Discussion Forum 31 09-22-2013 04:53 PM
cheap mods EricTheHorse87 TJ General Discussion Forum 2 04-27-2013 01:45 PM
Cheap mods? jeep7797 TJ General Discussion Forum 23 01-07-2013 03:21 PM
cheap mods davidc128 Builders Corner 2 03-15-2011 06:57 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC