Cheap, Easy, Fun CREATIVE MODS - Page 252 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #7531
Jeeper
 
kpla51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: fort sill
Posts: 676
cut my stock fender flares and put some door stripping on the edges cost me about 10 bucks for the edging. easy way to get more flex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00900.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	234789   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00983.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	234790  


kpla51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #7532
Jeeper
 
Wrangler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggaloShawn
Painted fenders black

Before

After
Hey man what kind of rims are those I like how you can get the rock rings for them

Wrangler27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #7533
Jeeper
 
ConfederateKnowHow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpla51 View Post
cut my stock fender flares and put some door stripping on the edges cost me about 10 bucks for the edging. easy way to get more flex
Oh really? How?
__________________
"I've got 350 heads on a 305 engine, I get 10 miles to the gallon, I aint got no good intentions" ~ Mike Cooley
ConfederateKnowHow is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #7534
Jeeper
 
kpla51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: fort sill
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfederateKnowHow View Post
Oh really? How?
used some tape measured about 2.5 inches from body then tapered down and used a skill saw and cut it took about 15 mins to do all 4 fender flares
kpla51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #7535
Jeeper
 
Bielzebub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 144
I agree! Even the first time I put mine down and then back up just to make sure it worked before I bought it and I think it only took me about 5 minutes to take off and maybe a few minutes longer to put it up. It does help when you know the tricks of doing it. One trick that I learned after doing it the first time was to take the back corners off before you try to clamp the front! The first time I muscled through it, but it worked! MUCH easier if you take the back corners off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 tj sport View Post
How half hour, I must just do it to often, I can have my top up in less than 10 mins, prolly closer to 5
__________________
Jeep. There's a reason the Postal Service has been using them for over 50 years!
Bielzebub is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #7536
Jeeper
 
Bielzebub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 144
I agree! I hate seeing sloppy tops flapping in the wind! Looks like poo!

Last week I took mine down and couldn't get it flat because of the PO's speaker installation on the rear roll bars, so I just took the top completely off. Seemed easier at the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004_Silver_Sport View Post
I'll take my time to get my top as flat as possible. It's kinda hard to tell from this picture bit it's the best I have showing how flat I get it.



Attachment 225103

This shows how flat I get my top. It's a really old picture of my jeep but it's the best I got. I just can't stand when I see jeeps driving around looking like this:



Attachment 225105

Seeing this just pisses me off. Makes me think you're lazy as it take a whopping 2 or 3 extra minutes to tuck it and make it look nice and neat and not like a bag of ***. Sorry for the rant
__________________
Jeep. There's a reason the Postal Service has been using them for over 50 years!
Bielzebub is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #7537
Jeeper
 
Bielzebub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 144
That is BRILLIANT! I know it's already in the dash now, but any chance you took pictures of where you soldered the lines to push button contacts and then how you soldered it to the switch? That would be awesome! Thanks!

BTW, which Carling is that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by lowreyfarris View Post
I installed 2 Carling switches that were $6 each thru Grainger. A momentary for the garage door opener and a rocker to defeat the dome light switches in the door.
I soldered to the push button contacts of my garage door opener, then zip tied it in place behind the panel.
To defeat the door switches, I pulled the fuse box out, and spliced the switch into the black ground wire for the #4 fuse.
__________________
Jeep. There's a reason the Postal Service has been using them for over 50 years!
Bielzebub is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #7538
Jeeper
 
MGHDTi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 176
This is an easy and cheap mod for all of you out there that have full doors, and smoke in a rainy climate. I was always getting torrents of water coming in through my window when I had it down, even just a crack, so I went to home depot, bought some "garage door bottom seal" for $5, cut it to the desired length and trimmed it so it didn't stick out very far. Adhered it with Silicone, and now I'm waiting for some rain to try it out

(I cleaned up the excess silicone and straightened it a bit after I took the pictures)



__________________
“Freedom begins between the ears.”
- Edward Abbey
MGHDTi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #7539
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,075
I don't smoke but have had vehicles in the past where i wanted the ability to crack the window a bit during a nice rain. Such as texas humidity during a summer rainstorm, when the AC doesn't work in your car. That mod could be helpful for times like that. Let us know how it works out when it does rain.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #7540
Jeeper
 
ConfederateKnowHow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpla51 View Post
used some tape measured about 2.5 inches from body then tapered down and used a skill saw and cut it took about 15 mins to do all 4 fender flares
I was being sarcastic...the plastic fender flares aren't limiting your flex.
__________________
"I've got 350 heads on a 305 engine, I get 10 miles to the gallon, I aint got no good intentions" ~ Mike Cooley
ConfederateKnowHow is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #7541
Jeeper
 
kpla51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: fort sill
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfederateKnowHow View Post
I was being sarcastic...the plastic fender flares aren't limiting your flex.
i figured u were but i got a few extra inches by cutting them because before i did the tire would smash my fender.
kpla51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #7542
Jeeper
 
J33ps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpla51 View Post

i figured u were but i got a few extra inches by cutting them because before i did the tire would smash my fender.
I did that to mine helped out a lot now I don't bash into them when I'm wheeling
J33ps is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #7543
Jeeper
 
JuggaloShawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Jefferson
Posts: 67
Send a message via AIM to JuggaloShawn
Painted the black jeep logo on the front bumper cover over the sway bar to match my jeep...its different and i like it but i doubt it stays long before wearing off cause just pulling the tape off around it required touch ups

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130412_120308.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	235181
__________________
99 blue Jeep Wrangler
Pioneer head unit
Sirius radio
2 12" Kicker comps
600rms Kicker amp
Navigon gps
Custom made console with built in CB
31x10.50x15 BFG A/T
Mickey Thompsons Classic Lock
JuggaloShawn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #7544
Jeeper
 
AlanRose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 849
Holy smokes! I haven't been on this site in a LONG time just got busy beyond belief. I am glad you guys kept the thread going though. I haven't been able to take my jeep wheeling as often as I would like. But I went out a few weeks ago and broke the crap out of it. Snapped both rear control arm brackets, broke pinion seals, busted my hard break lines, tweaked my my left drum brake and caused those to leak, and snapped my rear yoke coming off the diff. And snapped two winch cables trying to get me out. Good news my drive shaft was salvageable, better news my insurance is covering it and 4wheelparts is doing the work. I figured I would upgrade the cheap while its apart. So I'm putting in a rear trilink suspension front Aussie locker, rear ox locker, and getting a synthetic rope for the winch. I might get some steel tube fenders while I'm at it. Beside that I am really glad to see this thread still going strong.
__________________
"THE GENERAL"
2000 TJ 4.0
6" RE Long Arm
35" Muds
OX LOCKERS
AlanRose1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #7545
Jeeper
 
Commando Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRose1 View Post
Holy smokes! I haven't been on this site in a LONG time just got busy beyond belief. I am glad you guys kept the thread going though. I haven't been able to take my jeep wheeling as often as I would like. But I went out a few weeks ago and broke the crap out of it. Snapped both rear control arm brackets, broke pinion seals, busted my hard break lines, tweaked my my left drum brake and caused those to leak, and snapped my rear yoke coming off the diff. And snapped two winch cables trying to get me out. Good news my drive shaft was salvageable, better news my insurance is covering it and 4wheelparts is doing the work. I figured I would upgrade the cheap while its apart. So I'm putting in a rear trilink suspension front Aussie locker, rear ox locker, and getting a synthetic rope for the winch. I might get some steel tube fenders while I'm at it. Beside that I am really glad to see this thread still going strong.
WOW, that's amazing breakage!
__________________
Will
Forest Green Pearl TJ
4.0L/ 5 speed/ Rampage Soft Top
3" SL/1.25" BL/1" MML
Warn Rear/ ARB full width front Bumper
33x11 Wrangler MTR Kevlar/16" Ultrastar rims
Engo 12k cable
Commando Solo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #7546
Jeeper
 
2004_Silver_Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRose1 View Post
Holy smokes! I haven't been on this site in a LONG time just got busy beyond belief. I am glad you guys kept the thread going though. I haven't been able to take my jeep wheeling as often as I would like. But I went out a few weeks ago and broke the crap out of it. Snapped both rear control arm brackets, broke pinion seals, busted my hard break lines, tweaked my my left drum brake and caused those to leak, and snapped my rear yoke coming off the diff. And snapped two winch cables trying to get me out. Good news my drive shaft was salvageable, better news my insurance is covering it and 4wheelparts is doing the work. I figured I would upgrade the cheap while its apart. So I'm putting in a rear trilink suspension front Aussie locker, rear ox locker, and getting a synthetic rope for the winch. I might get some steel tube fenders while I'm at it. Beside that I am really glad to see this thread still going strong.
Are you doing an "out of the box" 3 link or a custom 3 link? I'm guessing out of the box since 4WD is doing the work.
__________________
04 Sport with 3" Savvy Front Springs, 2" Rear BDS Springs, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, 33" Cooper STT's, Currie TJJ Front Track Bar, RE Quick Discos, and other junk.
2004_Silver_Sport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #7547
Jeeper
 
pineda22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: GRAND VIEW AREA
Posts: 113
been reading this thread for the past week lol (shops been really slow) was thinking about painting my interior monster green (similar to lilyellers jeep pg81) but i dont know if itll be too much any comments? has anyone done this in bright green?pics?
__________________
IF IT DONT FIT....FORCE IT-IF IT BREAKS.....IT NEEDED REPLACED ANYWAY
pineda22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #7548
Jeeper
 
Commando Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineda22 View Post
been reading this thread for the past week lol (shops been really slow) was thinking about painting my interior monster green (similar to lilyellers jeep pg81) but i dont know if itll be too much any comments? has anyone done this in bright green?pics?
There is a thread called "tired of your interior?! Change it!!" Has pics and all the info you could need to do it.
__________________
Will
Forest Green Pearl TJ
4.0L/ 5 speed/ Rampage Soft Top
3" SL/1.25" BL/1" MML
Warn Rear/ ARB full width front Bumper
33x11 Wrangler MTR Kevlar/16" Ultrastar rims
Engo 12k cable
Commando Solo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #7549
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostixxx View Post
Bed lined where the hood has taken a beating from rocks and such... $12 can of duplicolor spray bed liner...

Also did the hinges with the same can!

Fender flares, grille inserts, and headlight inserts are all next!
I did that last year. Looks good, held up great so far
Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #7550
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHDTi View Post
This is an easy and cheap mod for all of you out there that have full doors, and smoke in a rainy climate. I was always getting torrents of water coming in through my window when I had it down, even just a crack, so I went to home depot, bought some "garage door bottom seal" for $5, cut it to the desired length and trimmed it so it didn't stick out very far. Adhered it with Silicone, and now I'm waiting for some rain to try it out

(I cleaned up the excess silicone and straightened it a bit after I took the pictures)


You do know they make vent visors.... There only $30
Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #7551
Jeeper
 
elclipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRose1 View Post
Holy smokes! I haven't been on this site in a LONG time just got busy beyond belief. I am glad you guys kept the thread going though. I haven't been able to take my jeep wheeling as often as I would like. But I went out a few weeks ago and broke the crap out of it. Snapped both rear control arm brackets, broke pinion seals, busted my hard break lines, tweaked my my left drum brake and caused those to leak, and snapped my rear yoke coming off the diff. And snapped two winch cables trying to get me out. Good news my drive shaft was salvageable, better news my insurance is covering it and 4wheelparts is doing the work. I figured I would upgrade the cheap while its apart. So I'm putting in a rear trilink suspension front Aussie locker, rear ox locker, and getting a synthetic rope for the winch. I might get some steel tube fenders while I'm at it. Beside that I am really glad to see this thread still going strong.
Holy smokes! My insurance would tell me to get bent if I broke down like that while wheeling.
__________________
Semper Fi

Black Stallion Build
elclipo is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #7552
Jeeper
 
AlanRose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by elclipo

Holy smokes! My insurance would tell me to get bent if I broke down like that while wheeling.
Well I have full coverage so it was covered, and it all started off by breaking one control arm mount, then the other side then finally my yoke. Mean while I got it on video. By the way I have no lockers and ran the whole trail with no driver rear wheel stability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2526396783.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	235839   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-253717253.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	235840  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2860842642.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	235841   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1195731499.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	235842  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2428160241.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	235843   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2281407016.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	235844  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2037836780.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	235845  
__________________
"THE GENERAL"
2000 TJ 4.0
6" RE Long Arm
35" Muds
OX LOCKERS
AlanRose1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #7553
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Turbostixxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 19,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRose1 View Post

Well I have full coverage so it was covered, and it all started off by breaking one control arm mount, then the other side then finally my yoke. Mean while I got it on video. By the way I have no lockers and ran the whole trail with no driver rear wheel stability.
I gotta know the trick...I have full coverage but couldn't get them to file a claim when my engine blew...
__________________
_______
/l
,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

1997 Wrangler SE:4" Lift; 33x11x16; Q9000 Winch
Turbostixxx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #7554
Jeeper
 
AlanRose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostixxx

I gotta know the trick...I have full coverage but couldn't get them to file a claim when my engine blew...
Easy, It was a collision. An at fault collision with no other vehicles or bodily injuries.
__________________
"THE GENERAL"
2000 TJ 4.0
6" RE Long Arm
35" Muds
OX LOCKERS
AlanRose1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #7555
Jeeper
 
Commando Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRose1 View Post

Easy, It was a collision. An at fault collision with no other vehicles or bodily injuries.
Did you mention offroad?
__________________
Will
Forest Green Pearl TJ
4.0L/ 5 speed/ Rampage Soft Top
3" SL/1.25" BL/1" MML
Warn Rear/ ARB full width front Bumper
33x11 Wrangler MTR Kevlar/16" Ultrastar rims
Engo 12k cable
Commando Solo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #7556
Jeeper
 
AlanRose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Solo

Did you mention offroad?
Yup hit a rock, they kinda of questioned me a little bit. But then I said, if you guys would like ill take it out and roll it then call you back. But they were actually pretty cool for the most part the guy doing the inspection quote for damage quoted me at 1200 including parts labor and two new 35" tires. I told he was off by two grand haha. But I think what really helped me is that they don't offer offroad insurance and I told then they should and that other insurance companies and blab blah blah. Regardless I can't wait to get it back
__________________
"THE GENERAL"
2000 TJ 4.0
6" RE Long Arm
35" Muds
OX LOCKERS
AlanRose1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #7557
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 116
Subscribed! I've seen some good stuff in this thread
vanillathrilla is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #7558
Jeeper
 
AVtj03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Villa Park, Il
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggaloShawn View Post
Painted the black jeep logo on the front bumper cover over the sway bar to match my jeep...its different and i like it but i doubt it stays long before wearing off cause just pulling the tape off around it required touch ups

Attachment 235181
That looks great! I think I'll do that, thanks!
AVtj03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #7559
Jeeper
 
tattoosteve99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Newton
Posts: 57
Not a big thing, but I coated my side mirrors with undercoating. Looks better than it did, I just hope it holds up. Anyone used that for their mirrors? Also I've been looking through this very long thread and now I have more ideas. Anyone ever paint their jeep flat black? I don't mean undercoat or truck bed, but just plain ole flat black. I'd love to see pics. Thanks
tattoosteve99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #7560
Jeeper
 
theblackyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoosteve99 View Post
Not a big thing, but I coated my side mirrors with undercoating. Looks better than it did, I just hope it holds up. Anyone used that for their mirrors? Also I've been looking through this very long thread and now I have more ideas. Anyone ever paint their jeep flat black? I don't mean undercoat or truck bed, but just plain ole flat black. I'd love to see pics. Thanks
Bedliner will last longer, my hole jeep is sprayed in bedliner

theblackyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheap JK mods please share NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 JK General Discussion Forum 1389 Yesterday 10:38 PM
Cheap, Easy Mod for the Doors Off Guys (and Gals) 05GT-O.C.D. TJ General Discussion Forum 31 09-22-2013 03:53 PM
cheap mods EricTheHorse87 TJ General Discussion Forum 2 04-27-2013 12:45 PM
Cheap mods? jeep7797 TJ General Discussion Forum 23 01-07-2013 02:21 PM
cheap mods davidc128 Builders Corner 2 03-15-2011 05:57 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC