Cheap, Easy, Fun CREATIVE MODS - Page 270 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #8071
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshaws21 View Post

Well this is the TJ forum you're posting in....
At this point there no reason to discriminate any models.

__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #8072
Jeeper
 
drummerlc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshaws21 View Post

Ok honest curiosity, what in the world is it used for on top of the roll bar?
Definately not while driving, just used while in park. I'll probably use while fishing or something

drummerlc13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #8073
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,076
throw some ghillie netting up there. Instant mobile hunting blind.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #8074
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salt Lake, UT
Posts: 107
Best seat in the house for 4th of July fireworks.
Qurtyslyn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #8075
Jeeper
 
Bjohnson3888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Everett
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
throw some ghillie netting up there. Instant mobile hunting blind.
Lol us rednecks/hillbillies would love that but sadly most game wardens will not cus they have their stupid" no hunting from a vehicle" rule unless your handicapped and then I believe they allow you to hunt from a atv
Bjohnson3888 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #8076
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BardoFett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 552
Images: 1
So, to match my all new, recently-painted interior, and get rid of the terrible, old accordion-style shift boot, I marched down to the local fabric store and picked up a yard of black, marine-grade vinyl.

After a few quick cuts and some sewing by my lovely wife, I now have a sweet, custom boot w/ blue accent stitching that matches my new interior paint job.





__________________
BardoFett is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #8077
Jeeper
 
Gunz n tractorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rising sun md
Posts: 1,071
Any good ideas on where and how to mount a hi lift inside of my jeep?
Gunz n tractorz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #8078
Jeeper
 
686keydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunz n tractorz View Post
Any good ideas on where and how to mount a hi lift inside of my jeep?
If its a 48" then mount it between the roll bars behind the rear seat. I used fence post straps, some bolts, some rubber plugs to isolate the jack, some washers, and a couple wing nuts. Works great. I can post pics later if you want them.
686keydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #8079
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunz n tractorz View Post
Any good ideas on where and how to mount a hi lift inside of my jeep?
I went this route:



Attachment 266613

And painted it to match. The yellow faded a little and looks better now.
__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #8080
Jeeper
 
Gunz n tractorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rising sun md
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by 686keydragon

If its a 48" then mount it between the roll bars behind the rear seat. I used fence post straps, some bolts, some rubber plugs to isolate the jack, some washers, and a couple wing nuts. Works great. I can post pics later if you want them.
Pics would be good if its not too much trouble.
Gunz n tractorz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #8081
Jeeper
 
ddjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz n tractorz View Post

pics would be good if its not too much trouble.
x2
ddjeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #8082
Jeeper
 
686keydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunz n tractorz View Post

Pics would be good if its not too much trouble.
Here you go. This is a great cheap solution. i want to say it cost around $12. Sorry for the shoddy pics... It's dark and I'm using a cell phone camera. I can post better ones in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1796779074.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	266974   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3349616240.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	266975  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3305945591.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	266976   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2849478464.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	266977  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1332279426.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	266978  
686keydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #8083
Jeeper
 
686keydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 686keydragon View Post

Here you go. This is a great cheap solution. i want to say it cost around $12. Sorry for the shoddy pics... It's dark and I'm using a cell phone camera. I can post better ones in the morning.
Slightly better pic... Here's the order: 3" Carriage bolt, nylon lock nut, fender washer, rubber plug, fender washer, jack, fender washer, wing nut

When you tighten down the wing nut the rubber plug compresses and keeps it tight.

I don't remember the size of the fence post strapping unfortunately... I want to say it is 3" but don't quote me on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2090742158.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	267001  
686keydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #8084
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 718
Picked up a couple cans of rustoleum bedliner at lowes today, gonna go out and paint the flares soon. Trying to decide if I wanna pull or tape. This'll be my first experience with the stuff. I've done a lot of plastidipping but I wanted something permanent for the flares. I've put forever black on it twice now, but it fades within a year. Should be called almost forever black.

Plans for prep are: sand lightly to rough up, wipe with some acetone i also got today, then 2 even coats. Sound right?
__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #8085
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,076
Yeah, it don't take much, rough up the plastic. hit it with a few even coats. Good to go.

Personally I took mine off. probably took about the same amount of time as taping everything off, and they were really easy to work with. Just bent some coat hangars around so i could hang them from the rafters in my garage for easy painting.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #8086
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
LMontycj2a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver Metro
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BardoFett View Post
So, to match my all new, recently-painted interior, and get rid of the terrible, old accordion-style shift boot, I marched down to the local fabric store and picked up a yard of black, marine-grade vinyl.

After a few quick cuts and some sewing by my lovely wife, I now have a sweet, custom boot w/ blue accent stitching that matches my new interior paint job.

Looks good.
__________________
1997 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 32RH A/T, 31x10.50 General Grabber AT2, SpiderTrax wheel spacers, modified front bumper
1946 Bantum trailer
1946 CJ2A
1968 C-101 (Jeepster)
LMontycj2a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #8087
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 718
3 hours later and I got em off. Took me a minute to realize there were nuts on about half the screws. Plus didn't ever realize there was a lining under the rear fenders that pulls out. I'm guessing its there for looks and to keep dirt out, but there was so much dirt trapped in em that it defeated the purpose. Ran out of light so will line em tomorrow. May run without em for a bit. Makes even 29" tires on stock wheels look mean.
__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #8088
Jeeper
 
tsteb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Carolina coast
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_a914 View Post
3 hours later and I got em off. Took me a minute to realize there were nuts on about half the screws. Plus didn't ever realize there was a lining under the rear fenders that pulls out. I'm guessing its there for looks and to keep dirt out, but there was so much dirt trapped in em that it defeated the purpose. Ran out of light so will line em tomorrow. May run without em for a bit. Makes even 29" tires on stock wheels look mean.
Pics?
tsteb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #8089
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteb View Post

Pics?
It got too dark. I'll get some tomorrow.
__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #8090
Jeeper
 
tsteb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Carolina coast
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_a914 View Post

It got too dark. I'll get some tomorrow.
No prob man
tsteb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #8091
Jeeper
 
hcarlgolden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 265
Images: 3
Send a message via ICQ to hcarlgolden Send a message via AIM to hcarlgolden Send a message via MSN to hcarlgolden Send a message via Yahoo to hcarlgolden Send a message via Skype™ to hcarlgolden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_a914 View Post
Picked up a couple cans of rustoleum bedliner at lowes today, gonna go out and paint the flares soon. Trying to decide if I wanna pull or tape. This'll be my first experience with the stuff. I've done a lot of plastidipping but I wanted something permanent for the flares. I've put forever black on it twice now, but it fades within a year. Should be called almost forever black.

Plans for prep are: sand lightly to rough up, wipe with some acetone i also got today, then 2 even coats. Sound right?
I have the rustoleum bed liner on a few parts on the front of my jeep. Easy to work with and I just taped it off. It may fade but I can't tell still looks new a year and a half later will use it again on other stuff. Looking on using it on my wheels.
__________________
03 Wrangler X ERH 4.0L Power Tech I-6 Engine
Build Date: July 24, 2002
Blue Jeep Club Member #384
hcarlgolden is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #8092
Jeeper
 
Marcwakefield22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcarlgolden View Post

I have the rustoleum bed liner on a few parts on the front of my jeep. Easy to work with and I just taped it off. It may fade but I can't tell still looks new a year and a half later will use it again on other stuff. Looking on using it on my wheels.
Would that work on a smittybilt SRC bumper? It's got a type of smooth powder coat or something on it, but it is flaking off really bad on both the front and rear bumper and tire carrier
Marcwakefield22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #8093
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcwakefield22 View Post

Would that work on a smittybilt SRC bumper? It's got a type of smooth powder coat or something on it, but it is flaking off really bad on both the front and rear bumper and tire carrier
Yes get the loose powder coating off, rough up the surface and spray
wwch99tj is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #8094
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,076
I used the rustoleum on my wheels. Stock alloys, nothing special. It's holding up great. Just make sure you rough up the serfuce well, the alloys have some sort of clearcoat on them, it son't stick well if you don't.

I'm actually thinking about re doing the flares with rustoleum liner as well. I used the duplicolor stuff on them last time and it looked great for a while. But i had to tape them off when i was doing some raptor liner on the outside, and it peeled up in spots when i took the tape off.

I still have a bottle or raptor lying around. I might just wait till I get the front bumper I want and just spray it all at the same time.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #8095
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 718
Well, I got 2 cans thinking one would be all if need for 2 coats on all 4 flares and the extensions, but 2 cans was barely enough for 1 coat on all, with enough for a second on the 2 back flares (put it on them cuz I think they take more abuse) looked like I had a lot of running, had to do it in a pretty dim garage, put up as many lights as I could find but was still dim. We'll see how they turn out in a couple hours. Here's the jeep as its sitting.
__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #8096
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,076
Yeah i rushed my duplicolor job and got a few runs. Best way to combat that is more thin coats as opposed to 1 or 2 thick coats.

Even with the runs it still looked a lot better than that faded grey splotchy plastic.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #8097
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
Yeah i rushed my duplicolor job and got a few runs. Best way to combat that is more thin coats as opposed to 1 or 2 thick coats.

Even with the runs it still looked a lot better than that faded grey splotchy plastic.
We'll see how they turned out. I'm about to go check em
__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #8098
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 718
They did have some runs, but for the overall look its a lot better. Great finish. Now can anyone tell me, if I wait until next weekend, the clean em and give em another coat, if thatll cover the bad spots?
__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #8099
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,076
it may cover some, but there will still be high spots from the runs. To really get rid of them you will probably have to do some sanding.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #8100
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 718
When I went out a bit ago it was still tacky enough for me to smooth out the runs with my finger. That made it look a little better. Hopefully thatll make it easier to cover when I repaint soon. But overall looks 100000x better. Hopefully I can reattach them today. But I'm writing a paper so it'll fepend on how much longer it takes me

__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheap JK mods please share NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 JK General Discussion Forum 1574 11-19-2014 01:54 PM
Cheap, Easy Mod for the Doors Off Guys (and Gals) 05GT-O.C.D. TJ General Discussion Forum 31 09-22-2013 04:53 PM
cheap mods EricTheHorse87 TJ General Discussion Forum 2 04-27-2013 01:45 PM
Cheap mods? jeep7797 TJ General Discussion Forum 23 01-07-2013 03:21 PM
cheap mods davidc128 Builders Corner 2 03-15-2011 06:57 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC