Cheap, Easy, Fun CREATIVE MODS - Page 292 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #8731
Jeeper
 
GKjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 263
I havnt done it yet, but am trying to figure out a way to make myself a cheap top. Just something to cover the driver and passenger seats (from the sun) I was thinking about just getting a tarp and tying it down with para cord or something. Really need something simple and quick... Havnt done it yet because I don't want it to fly off on the freeway.

What thoughts do you guys have? Any ideas? Pictures? Any input helps

__________________
i need a cool signature
GKjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #8732
Jeeper
 
Medixtj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKjeep View Post
I havnt done it yet, but am trying to figure out a way to make myself a cheap top. Just something to cover the driver and passenger seats (from the sun) I was thinking about just getting a tarp and tying it down with para cord or something. Really need something simple and quick... Havnt done it yet because I don't want it to fly off on the freeway.

What thoughts do you guys have? Any ideas? Pictures? Any input helps

Have you looked at a jammock you may be able to get some ideas from it. I was thinking how I could make one too. Do you want it to attach to the windshield header or just strap to your roll bars

__________________
2001 Sahara, 4.0 with 32rh, Zone 4.25" lift, 33x10.5 BFG AT KO

My Build thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/me...l#post19318217
Medixtj01 is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #8733
Jeeper
 
ddjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKjeep View Post
I havnt done it yet, but am trying to figure out a way to make myself a cheap top. Just something to cover the driver and passenger seats (from the sun) I was thinking about just getting a tarp and tying it down with para cord or something. Really need something simple and quick... Havnt done it yet because I don't want it to fly off on the freeway.

What thoughts do you guys have? Any ideas? Pictures? Any input helps
I'm sure there are plenty of cheaper ideas but I'm probably going to get a spider web shade. The one that just covers the driver and passenger is $50 an it blocks 90% of UV rays which is pretty nice. I've also heard a lot of good feedback about the jammock.
ddjeeper is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #8734
TJZ
Jeeper
 
TJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Az.
Posts: 1,761
Good choice ! My Spiderweb shade is the best $ I've ever spent on my Jeep. You will love it !
TJZ is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #8735
Jeeper
 
Test4Echo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjeeper View Post

I'm sure there are plenty of cheaper ideas but I'm probably going to get a spider web shade. The one that just covers the driver and passenger is $50 an it blocks 90% of UV rays which is pretty nice. I've also heard a lot of good feedback about the jammock.
There isn't a better product on the market than spiderwebshade!!
On top of it, it's made in the USA and Chris is an amazing guy that stands by his products.
Test4Echo is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #8736
Jeeper
 
GKjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 263
thanks for the feedback guys! I really like the spiderweb shade. Only reason why i am being so cheap about it is becasue i am going to get a full soft top soon. I might use their idea and try making one with a heavy duty cloth tarp from home depot. If it works out, Ill post some pics. Wish me luck!
__________________
i need a cool signature
GKjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #8737
Jeeper
 
wa_troop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yelm Washington
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKjeep View Post
thanks for the feedback guys! I really like the spiderweb shade. Only reason why i am being so cheap about it is becasue i am going to get a full soft top soon. I might use their idea and try making one with a heavy duty cloth tarp from home depot. If it works out, Ill post some pics. Wish me luck!
I got gear shade there preety awesome and u can do custom printing here's mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3973279301.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	309545



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-553843757.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	309585

They have zipper pockets on the inside too
wa_troop is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #8738
Jeeper
 
Medixtj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKjeep View Post
thanks for the feedback guys! I really like the spiderweb shade. Only reason why i am being so cheap about it is becasue i am going to get a full soft top soon. I might use their idea and try making one with a heavy duty cloth tarp from home depot. If it works out, Ill post some pics. Wish me luck!
Can't wait to see the final product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test4Echo View Post

There isn't a better product on the market than spiderwebshade!!
On top of it, it's made in the USA and Chris is an amazing guy that stands by his products.
Dose he have a website
__________________
2001 Sahara, 4.0 with 32rh, Zone 4.25" lift, 33x10.5 BFG AT KO

My Build thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/me...l#post19318217
Medixtj01 is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #8739
TJZ
Jeeper
 
TJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Az.
Posts: 1,761
Btw, you just leave the spiderweb shade in place and just pull the soft top over it. You really never notice it's there !
TJZ is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #8740
Jeeper
 
Test4Echo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa_troop View Post

I got gear shade there preety awesome and u can do custom printing here's mine

They have zipper pockets on the inside too
Prob with Gear shade is they literally and directly ripped of Spiderwebshade in the beginning literally buying the SWS and sewing pockets on them and reselling them.

Oh well to each his own I'm a loyal Spiderwebshade guy
Test4Echo is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #8741
Jeeper
 
wa_troop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yelm Washington
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test4Echo View Post

Prob with Gear shade is they literally and directly ripped of Spiderwebshade in the beginning literally buying the SWS and sewing pockets on them and reselling them.

Oh well to each his own I'm a loyal Spiderwebshade guy
I was gonna get spiders shade I liked em but wanted the custom print lol I liked the full cage thing with spider shade that gearshade doesn't do
wa_troop is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #8742
Jeeper
 
Brankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 348
I discovered a way to fix soft top noises...!!!!


First get silicon for tubs and the gun. Clear will be better. Make a lines across the soft top plastic.

2.get plastic dip and paint the soft top plastic with the silicon . I use 5 coats.

For extra free noise do 1 come where the soft top plastic rest with the body. Sorry for my broken English . But aye is fix.
Brankz is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #8743
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 5,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brankz View Post
I discovered a way to fix soft top noises...!!!!

First get silicon for tubs and the gun. Clear will be better. Make a lines across the soft top plastic.

2.get plastic dip and paint the soft top plastic with the silicon . I use 5 coats.

For extra free noise do 1 come where the soft top plastic rest with the body. Sorry for my broken English . But aye is fix.
Pics?
wwch99tj is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #8744
TJZ
Jeeper
 
TJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Az.
Posts: 1,761
What ?
TJZ is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #8745
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 538
Send a message via Yahoo to ChaddG
I think he is saying use tub silicone for the job. put it on the panels where it hits the frame on the sides and coat the canvas with plasti-dip
ChaddG is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #8746
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 538
Send a message via Yahoo to ChaddG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa_troop View Post
I got gear shade there preety awesome and u can do custom printing here's mine

Attachment 309545



Attachment 309585

They have zipper pockets on the inside too
blacked out hinges and grille would look super sweet on that ride
ChaddG is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #8747
Jeeper
 
patriotbrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltopp1 View Post
This was my first experience using the plasti dip. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I also put on the bug shield. Next will be my winter wheels (Centerlines). I also put a youtube video up of the final result but its too big for this page.
Could you post a straight on photo? I have the same color jeep and I'm strongly considering doing this!
patriotbrady is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #8748
Jeeper
 
686keydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ View Post
What ?
Fairly certain he is saying to plastidip the plastic corner clips on the soft top rear sail panels (the ones that clip into the rear corners of the tub). I'm guessing the reasoning behind the tub caulk is to make them fit tighter.
686keydragon is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #8749
Jeeper
 
wa_troop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yelm Washington
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaddG View Post

blacked out hinges and grille would look super sweet on that ride
Good idea ill add that to my to do list lol along with the grill there.
wa_troop is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #8750
TJZ
Jeeper
 
TJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Az.
Posts: 1,761
Wow, that's some Bizzare Camo pattern. Not for me, but nice to know they do it. Cool jeep though.
TJZ is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #8751
Jeeper
 
MrStuky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lynwood, CA
Posts: 172
I made my own shade with some mesh material at home depot, and using industrial metal grommets. Works great like a spidershade and very more affordable.
MrStuky is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #8752
Jeeper
 
GKjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStuky View Post
I made my own shade with some mesh material at home depot, and using industrial metal grommets. Works great like a spidershade and very more affordable.
If you could take some pix it would be greatly appreciate it the more ideas I get the more successful it *should* be lol
__________________
i need a cool signature
GKjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #8753
Jeeper
 
Boyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: tampa Fl
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKjeep View Post

If you could take some pix it would be greatly appreciate it the more ideas I get the more successful it *should* be lol
I also made my own web shade, it cost me abought 35.00.

Mesh from lowes 25.00
Groments from joans 10.00
Zip ties
Boyd is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #8754
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,761
A new webshade is about 40$
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #8755
Jeeper
 
Boyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: tampa Fl
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 View Post
A new webshade is about 40$
The one i made goes for 100.00 on there site, i also have enough material to make 3 more.
Boyd is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #8756
Jeeper
 
GKjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 263
I made my own "spiderweb" type sun blocker. Just came back from a test drive. It seems like it should hold up pretty well. I'll write up a DIY type of thing in a day or two after I really put it on the road and fwy test. Overal cost me about 40 bucks, but the mesh I bought was 6'x 20' so I can make a bunch of other things with it. (Couldn't find a smaller one)
__________________
i need a cool signature
GKjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #8757
Newb
 
Webslick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9
Bought three motorcycle cargo nets to keep wife in

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1805625811.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	312945
Webslick is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #8758
Jeeper
 
Andyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStuky View Post

Any updates? I'm interested in purchasing the same bumper. Thanks
x2
Andyroo is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #8759
Jeeper
 
RodentSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saint Petersburg
Posts: 263
Seems really nice it's heavy duty very clean packing was a little ripped up when I got here but it said spider on the box.. I didn't mount the spare tire carrier yet because I don't have a spare tire to put on it, says it's got a class III hitch which will hold a 500 pound Tongue weight
__________________
FOR SALE 97 TJ



2014 JKURX, 4.10, 430n w/Lockpick, 2.5 Teraflex lift, Cobra 29lx, 4 3x3 BFL lights
RodentSniper is offline   Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #8760
Jeeper
 
bighamms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 148
@Rodentsniper....Excuse me Good Sir. Your Zombie Hunter permit appears to be expired. I'm gonna need to see your license and registration please.

bighamms is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheap JK mods please share NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 JK General Discussion Forum 2535 Today 10:09 AM
Cheap, Easy Mod for the Doors Off Guys (and Gals) 05GT-O.C.D. TJ General Discussion Forum 31 09-22-2013 03:53 PM
cheap mods EricTheHorse87 TJ General Discussion Forum 2 04-27-2013 12:45 PM
Cheap mods? jeep7797 TJ General Discussion Forum 23 01-07-2013 02:21 PM
cheap mods davidc128 Builders Corner 2 03-15-2011 05:57 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC