I got very good deal on this 2002 Sahara 4L, and knew it had problems. The clutch was one. 4X4 was another.
This all started with a very stiff pedal when I bought it. The Master failed so I swapped the Master and Slave and it worked for a while. Then the clutch would not disengage. The pedal still felt like it was working but no clutch. Ordered a new Luk clutch kit. After six hours of surgery, Jenny is back on the road. Here's what I found.
1. The clutch pressure plate ears were so worn the throw out bearing was pushing through them.
2. Throw out bearing was ready to fail.
3. Pilot bearing was ready to fail.
4. Clutch plate was close to the rivets.
5. Transfer case linkage was bent and hanging loose. 4X4 probably never worked.
New clutch is awesome. 4X4 works as it should. Life is good! The list of repairs is getting shorter.