Crashed The Jeep - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
vankemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 89
Images: 2
Crashed The Jeep

On her way to work this morning, the wife hit a patch of ice doing 55mph, veered into opposite lane before flipping the Jeep on its side --- She is sore as hell, but no major breaks or injuries. (Thank Goodness!)

And the same goes for the Jeep. Nothing appears to be major..

Ironically I bought this as a second alternative to Her 2013 Hyundai Veloster for the winter driving conditions. I just bought this about 6 weeks ago, paid $5200.

It landed on passenger side in about a foot of snow, and damages include --
(as far as i can tell, its still sitting on tow truck)

Front windshield shattered
Broken step bar (Passenger side)
Possible minor hood damage? Latch is broken for sure.
Passenger Mirror broke
New Scratches along the body, but not dents.
Rear window(hard top) broken off hinges, but widow not broken
Front right fender is wasted and both marker lights.
Have not tried to start it, and it was on its side for at least 2 hours.

I have collision coverage on this, and was wondering how they will write this -- given its age, miles, etc. (127,000) 1999 2.5L (Not the Jeep shown in my Avatar)

This was in really good shape, and had no mechanical issues. Any suggestions or heads up's I should be aware of when discussing repairs with adjuster?

vankemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 384
Glad to hear your wife is okay first of all. Can't give you much advice on whether insurance will total it or not but I would think so. Either way if you or the OP had any mods on the jeep take those into account with the adjuster. Hope you make back what you paid if its totaled.

__________________
1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2.5 (Jasper Re-Built) - Dozer Orange
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 3.2 (Supercharged) - Black
mrobinso is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Chilly03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 468
WOW! Sorry Bro. Glad the Wife is ok. If they do try and total it buy it back from the ins. co. fix it and keep rolling. Wranglers are very resilient.
__________________
03 Wrangler 2" BB 31's
95 Cherokee sport 2dr. lifted 31's

(OIIIIIIIO)
Chilly03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
vankemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 89
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly03 View Post
WOW! Sorry Bro. Glad the Wife is ok. If they do try and total it buy it back from the ins. co. fix it and keep rolling. Wranglers are very resilient.
Thanks-- I would love a buy back deal, but I dont think it works that way anymore --??




Quote:
Originally Posted by mrobinso View Post
Glad to hear your wife is okay first of all. Can't give you much advice on whether insurance will total it or not but I would think so. Either way if you or the OP had any mods on the jeep take those into account with the adjuster. Hope you make back what you paid if its totaled.
I would think it would be easy to get my return back. Good news is its not the daily driver, and I will have time to shop.
vankemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
J33P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ND
Posts: 229
Im sorry but these Jeeps are terrible in the winter. A FWD car is better on plowed city streets than a RWD light high center of gravity SUV.
J33P is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by J33P View Post
Im sorry but these Jeeps are terrible in the winter. A FWD car is better on plowed city streets than a RWD light high center of gravity SUV.
Huh, I always thought the opposite. Maybe its because I use the 4H when needed.

OP, glad the wife is OK, try to buy the Jeep back and make a crawler out of it
Pink_Percy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
vankemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 89
Images: 2
Because of the ice storm, power outages, holiday, etc .. I just heard back from the insurance company. Jeep is total loss-- Only paid $5200, and insurance will settle for $7400' or a buy back of $2500, and pay me the difference. This is a first total loss situation for me, and it didn't realize it was that simple. I have a few days to decide, but based on the estimate/inspection it sounds like damage was very limited cosmetic (just as I stated in first post) I'm thinking I will take the jeep back, and make it a nice winter garage project!

Oh, and after some bumps and bruises, the wife is feeling much better too
vankemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
CamoGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20
So basically you can buy it back and get $400 less than you paid for the jeep to begin with??!! I wouldn't have to think hard about that...
CamoGhost is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Wattapunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by J33P View Post
Im sorry but these Jeeps are terrible in the winter. A FWD car is better on plowed city streets than a RWD light high center of gravity SUV.
Having driven a 2000 honda accord coupe 4cyl FWD and a '98 TJ 4wd on solid ice during a recent ice storm, I would have to strongly disagree with you on this. You get much better traction in 4WD and had zero issues getting around town. The FWD will lose the rear much easier.
Wattapunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
CamoGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
Having driven a 2000 honda accord coupe 4cyl FWD and a '98 TJ 4wd on solid ice during a recent ice storm, I would have to strongly disagree with you on this. You get much better traction in 4WD and had zero issues getting around town. The FWD will lose the rear much easier.
This^^ except with a civic.
CamoGhost is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Wattapunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by vankemp View Post
Because of the ice storm, power outages, holiday, etc .. I just heard back from the insurance company. Jeep is total loss-- Only paid $5200, and insurance will settle for $7400' or a buy back of $2500, and pay me the difference. This is a first total loss situation for me, and it didn't realize it was that simple. I have a few days to decide, but based on the estimate/inspection it sounds like damage was very limited cosmetic (just as I stated in first post) I'm thinking I will take the jeep back, and make it a nice winter garage project!

Oh, and after some bumps and bruises, the wife is feeling much better too
Glad wife is okay. I may be alone in this but I would take the $7400 and buy a better TJ. You paid $5200 for it and to buy it back at $2500 with $2700 to fix the cosmetic damages, I would pass just for the labor involved and the unknown hidden damages once you actually start taking it apart. Damages to hardtop, windshield, fenders,mirrors, step bars, etc..It will eat up most of the $2700 to fix it. I am also somewhat concerned with the engine due to it's being on it's side. (More than likely oil in the cylinders)..
Wattapunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
vankemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 89
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
Glad wife is okay. I may be alone in this but I would take the $7400 and buy a better TJ. You paid $5200 for it and to buy it back at $2500 with $2700 to fix the cosmetic damages, I would pass just for the labor involved and the unknown hidden damages once you actually start taking it apart. Damages to hardtop, windshield, fenders,mirrors, step bars, etc..It will eat up most of the $2700 to fix it. I am also somewhat concerned with the engine due to it's being on it's side. (More than likely oil in the cylinders)..
Decisions, decisions..


Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGhost View Post
So basically you can buy it back and get $400 less than you paid for the jeep to begin with??!! I wouldn't have to think hard about that...
Decisions, decisions..

Both Great points that I have already been pondering..
vankemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Milan, PA
Posts: 208
Check with the DMV in your state, but I know in PA if you buy it back after being totaled it is issued a "salvage" title... After you repair it it has to go through a special inspection process. After passing the inspections a "repaired" title is issued.
Since it has that "R" title selling it and getting good value may be an issue.
steelrfn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Wattapunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,802
X2 on the salvage title and resale value..
Sorry , don't know what I was thinking but you are getting $4900 after buy back to fix it.
My decision still would not change due to this: How much is that Jeep worth in it's current condition if you sold it on CL today with probably not a clear blue title? $2500 ?
Unless you want it as a weekend project, I would find a 4.0 TJ in good condition and not worry about working on it. In theory, it's cool to have a garage project but it if work alot and have kids etc..., I would never have the time, You can still come out on top by buying another 4cyl TJ in similar condition and price and have extra cash by taking the $7400 payout.
Wattapunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
vankemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 89
Images: 2
Current State

Here is some not so good pics of how it is right now. Bottom is before , of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	632545

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	632553

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	632561

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	632569
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	632609  
vankemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
vankemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 89
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrfn View Post
Check with the DMV in your state, but I know in PA if you buy it back after being totaled it is issued a "salvage" title... After you repair it it has to go through a special inspection process. After passing the inspections a "repaired" title is issued.
Since it has that "R" title selling it and getting good value may be an issue.
It is the same here in Michigan $100 inspection fee, plus new registration fees, and only no collision coverage would be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
X2 on the salvage title and resale value..
Sorry , don't know what I was thinking but you are getting $4900 after buy back to fix it.
My decision still would not change due to this: How much is that Jeep worth in it's current condition if you sold it on CL today with probably not a clear blue title? $2500 ?
Unless you want it as a weekend project, I would find a 4.0 TJ in good condition and not worry about working on it. In theory, it's cool to have a garage project but it if work alot and have kids etc..., I would never have the time, You can still come out on top by buying another 4cyl TJ in similar condition and price and have extra cash by taking the $7400 payout.
I have thought of this exact same math too.. But also consider the fact that this is not my daily driver, and I bought it to tear around some Northern Michigan trails (My alternative to a $15,000 side by side) But your point is very valid and tempting too! Hmmm what to do.. lol
vankemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
CamoGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20
If its just a trail jeep then the decision seems easier. What will have to put into it to get it trail ready? Probably be the cheapest trail rig you'll ever have. As far as resale goes, if its a trail rig, who cares?
CamoGhost is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Milan, PA
Posts: 208
Do some shopping around on CL... Jeeps under 7400 are relatively easy to find around here. If you can't find one you like better than yours, buy it back. If you do... Well, I would most likely buy that one back anyway because it looks to be in very good condition and 2500 for a jeep with a wrinkled fender is a hell of a deal.

From looking around here the hard top alone is worth a large fraction of the price they want, not to mention any other goodies it has.
steelrfn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Tyr4nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Columbus Indiana
Posts: 153
First - so glad your wife is not seriously injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrfn View Post
Do some shopping around on CL... Jeeps under 7400 are relatively easy to find around here.
^x2 - $7,400 is definitely enough to get back into a really decent TJ. I don't think it's fiscally responsible, nor worth your time, to buy it back.

In light of your experience, I may buy full coverage now....
__________________
~daniel
2000 Sahara
Tyr4nt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
J33P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ND
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
Having driven a 2000 honda accord coupe 4cyl FWD and a '98 TJ 4wd on solid ice during a recent ice storm, I would have to strongly disagree with you on this. You get much better traction in 4WD and had zero issues getting around town. The FWD will lose the rear much easier.

Its no surprise that you'll get better traction with 4wd engaged vs a fwd car broski. I said plowed concrete city streets if you read into it closely, and I Dont know about you, but I Dont drive in 4wd on plowed city streets with a little ice. I have a 03 ram hemi 4 door, this tj, and a stratus 4 door. I put blizzaks on the front of my stratus and I'd rather drive my stratus on the icy plowed streets instead of both 4wd vehicles I have.
J33P is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
rethyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by J33P View Post
Its no surprise that you'll get better traction with 4wd engaged vs a fwd car broski. I said plowed concrete city streets if you read into it closely, and I Dont know about you, but I Dont drive in 4wd on plowed city streets with a little ice. I have a 03 ram hemi 4 door, this tj, and a stratus 4 door. I put blizzaks on the front of my stratus and I'd rather drive my stratus on the icy plowed streets instead of both 4wd vehicles I have.
The fact that you at least put winter tires on your driving wheels is a good start, but if you were to put winters on all 4 for any of your 4wd vehicles you would see it's a night and day difference compared to your fwd. I've driven many winters in my previous car ( fwd jetta ) that was outfitted with winters on all 4. it drove well but still caused me to spin out on a patch of black ice a few winters ago. Since getting the jeep and outfitting it with winters all around it was like driving on a dry summer day during this past ice storm even in 2Hi. All this to say, fwd vs 4wd comparisons can be done all day long but the real difference makers are the type tires you use.

To OP, glad your wife if okay and looks like there isn't too much damage to your TJ tho Id have to side with the people saying take the payout and get yourself a better condition TJ. never know what gremlins can hide or unseen structural damage there may be, plus any money you save with the new jeep you can get yourself a set of winters or one that comes with a set of winters. they'll be much better than the mudders you have ( trust me been there and quickly changed them out ). At the end of the day tho it's up to you.
__________________
ordered on 02-13-2012:: 2012 JKR ( 430N+Uconnect, black hard top, 6speed )
picked up 04-07-2012:: aww giggidy...
mods so far: ACE rails / K&N drop in air filter
rethyk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
McDaniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 288
well, well... I would take the buy back. If I understand it you keep the jeep and get $4,900.00 cash. In the pictures it does not look too bad, so if i understand your numbers you are really only out $300.00 bucks. If anyone that likes jeeps could buy your TJ for $300.00 we would be screaming about the "life time deal" we got.

My experance is that mud tires are a very bad choice for winter. AT's tend to work better as they have usally have smaller tread "blocks" and by the way wider is not better in winter.

$300.00 bucks for a TJ that has been put on it's side? Great Deal. I bet you could even get a shop to put it back on the road for less than you think. I would do it myself.
McDaniel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
GingerTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,526
Your jeep doesn't look bad at all! Check for frame damage,, but if it's cosmetic buy it back..

Some armor would go a long way on that jeep fixing the broken fender, and dings
__________________
4" BDS springs, zone nitro shocks, rubicon express track bar, Currie tie rod, 1" Rokmen bl, 1" JKS mml, AA Sye/cv conversion, Black Magic Brakes, JKS upper adjustable arms, 4.88 regear, 27 spline chromeolly shafts, 35x12.5x15 GG's on ion's 174, rhino lined tub, boat cannon stereo, rock hard harness bar, Led Windshield Light bar
GingerTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
rdsiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 130
I see both sides here. I'd buy it back if I had the chance. You can part it out and make your money back plus. I wrecked my jeep last year and fixed it out of my own pocket. I had a little over $1700.00 in parts. The grill alone new is around $500.00. Full doors will sell here for $800.00. You could then buy you another TJ. Just my opinion. You may not wanna mess with all that.
rdsiler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
GingerTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,526
If the frame is solid and it's just body damage, I will give you 3,000 cash for it.
__________________
4" BDS springs, zone nitro shocks, rubicon express track bar, Currie tie rod, 1" Rokmen bl, 1" JKS mml, AA Sye/cv conversion, Black Magic Brakes, JKS upper adjustable arms, 4.88 regear, 27 spline chromeolly shafts, 35x12.5x15 GG's on ion's 174, rhino lined tub, boat cannon stereo, rock hard harness bar, Led Windshield Light bar
GingerTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #26
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 5,725
Tough choice and all I am really doing is "talking" but IMO a "newer" better TJ would be the way to go....but at the same time....I am not a person that wants to "build my Jeep"...I prefer seat time to wrench time.....and for those that say built not bought...good for you, glad you enjoy it. To me it is no different than the guy who buys a loaded Rubi....THEY BOUGHT IT....any way good luck on your decision...for me yeah get a different one...now if I had lots of free time and wanted "trail only rig" it gets tougher.
jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
gomezaddams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: gilboa ny
Posts: 84
Id push that fender up with a 2x4 replace the windshied and mirror and be driving it to work lol but I dont mind a few dents.
gomezaddams is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
McDaniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 288
Compare what he paid, What they are willing to give him, and how much the buy back is. He can buy the jeep back and only be out $300.00 --geez it is really an easy choice here. IMHO Any one of us including the OP would jump to be able to buy that TJ for $300.00, heck he aleady has an offer for 3k here on this thread.
McDaniel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #29
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Clearly the damage is greater than cosmetic. They wouldn't total it at 7400 in value if it were just the fenders.
Crackpipe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #30
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpipe View Post
Clearly the damage is greater than cosmetic. They wouldn't total it at 7400 in value if it were just the fenders.
Depends on the adjuster......wrecked my TJ about 4 years ago...guy pulled out in front of me......one shop said fender only was $1500.....shop that did the work replaced fender, hood, front bumper 2 sets KC lights, and passenger side mirror....total was over $5400...no air bags..it looked great till I started "Wheeling it " more....I have a ST he has HT issues...replacement of that is $2100 alone.

jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC