pulled out the FSM and found the problem. evidently when the PO took the dash apart and changed radio/added XM, when he stuffed everything back in he snipped the vacum hose. took the drivers side apart to make sure one of the arms didn't fall off or break. then started it(need compressor running) and switched through the settings and all but 1 worked. since the floor and dash actuators are the same i swapped the hoses and surprize, dash actuator worked(tells me it a vacum hose-somewhere) then dropped the glove box to disconnect the vacum harness and there it was-little peice on the connector and the rest just hanging loose. couldn't get the small peice out so i cut the 'union' hose and used what was left. started it up, ran through the settings and all worked. put it all back together paying careful attention to how/where i stuffed the xm radio parts. now i'm a happy little jeepster waiting for a reason to go somewhere and see how much better the air works now that it's comming out of where it's suppose to and not the floor/defrosters.