Death Wabble ? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Death Wabble ?

Hi All,
Im new to the Jeep world as of last week; I just purchased a 99 Sport 4.0. The Jeep drives great up until you start hitting 57-59mph. At that point I get a nasty side to side vigorous wobble. To the point I have to have two hands on the wheel and slow down to almost a stop to get it to go away. Once it does, back on the road I go and smooth riding. It also did it one time while I hit uneven pavement (imagine that) on a bridge around 45mph. Again once I stopped and did a once over and saw all the tires had air and nothing dragging the ground. I started back on my marry way.
I read some post about the Death Wobble. But I never picked up if the DW is at all speeds and or had the option on what speed it happens. Does the DW happen all the time or under curtain situations? Both times this has happened to me I was never turning the wheels, just driving straight. Any help would be greatly apprenticed. My son is chopping at the bits to drive the Jeep but I wont let him till its corrected.

Right Side Up is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Sanchodeltoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
I deal with the wobble, mine occurs around 45 to 55 mph. Recently I aired my tires down to 26 lbs, finding that some tires were off by 5 lbs. So far so good.

From what I read here... There are a ton of reasons for a DW. But if speed is a factor it could be a tire balance issue.

/ DW is almost as annoying as autocorrect on my phone.

Sanchodeltoro is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Yea, truly. I did the oposite on my tires. I checked them and found they were at 20psi. So i filled them up to 35psi. Again smooth ass ride till i go above the 55ish range. Its to the point i dont want to take it up that high since i filled the tires. Just so the dont put stains in the seat. lol
Right Side Up is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Sanchodeltoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
I, hear ya. last Friday was the first time I prayed for traffic so I could slow down enough for DW to go away.

Just stay on the right hand lane if your on the freeway.

I also heard it could be a track bar. Think that's the name. I was told recently mine was bent.
Sanchodeltoro is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Shark_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,332
Read the sticky topic regarding wobble in this forum.
Do the tests and find out what is worn/moving that shouldn't be.
Every time it happens you risk doing more damage, so it's not something you can just deal with.
Shark_13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,918
Images: 11
Dry Steering Test

Do a dry steering test by having someone sit in your Jeep (with the tires on the ground) and continuously turn the steering wheel back and forth from about the 11 to 1 position while you lay under the front end and watch and feel for any lateral play in any steering or suspension joints. Check both track bar ends, the tie rod and drag link ends.
Although rotational movement in the tie rod and drag link is normal and necessary, there should be no end movement at all in the joints. There also should be no movement in the track bar ends.


BTW, 35 psi in the tires is too much even for stock tires. If you have stock tires lower the pressure to about 30-32, if over sized tires, they should be lower still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alignment01.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	985577  
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Sanchodeltoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
I didn't do a dry steering test.. But recently was under the Jeep looking fur lateral movement. Everything seemed solid underneath.

I checked the steering linkage, not exactly sure if the name, and did notice some play.

I assume that is not good? How much play should the bar that hooks up to the steering column have?

to clarify.. It is the bar protruding from the firewall, that connects to the steering wheel.
Sanchodeltoro is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks, WaterDog. I did read that post earlier today and plan on that for my evening task with my son and maybe a lil blue yummie (bud light) or two... or three... The tires are stock size Goodyear Wranglers that rate them for 40psi max. So i am down atleast 5psi's below max. I'll drop them down a little bit but i dont want it to be too much like it was at 20psi. To me it still doesnt make sence why it only happens at a speed range? If something was worn or bent or loose, i would think it would do it at any speed?????
Right Side Up is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Mountainman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: dallas tx
Posts: 184
I started to notice that I might have te death wobble..
Been driving this jeep for 4 years and the past 2 months it's been a little shaky at some points but not as bad as if it feels the wheels are about to come off hahah
Mountainman12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,918
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Thanks, WaterDog. I did read that post earlier today and plan on that for my evening task with my son and maybe a lil blue yummie (bud light) or two... or three... The tires are stock size Goodyear Wranglers that rate them for 40psi max. So i am down atleast 5psi's below max.
The sidewall rating of the tire is the maximum pressure at the maximum weight the tire is designed to carry. Tires should always be filled to support the weight they are actually carrying. That is why you will find a tire pressure recommendation on the driver's door jamb. That recommendation is the value you should be using for stock tires on a stock Jeep.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchodeltoro View Post
I deal with the wobble, mine occurs around 45 to 55 mph. Recently I aired my tires down to 26 lbs, finding that some tires were off by 5 lbs. So far so good.

From what I read here... There are a ton of reasons for a DW. But if speed is a factor it could be a tire balance issue.

/ DW is almost as annoying as autocorrect on my phone.
You dont "deal" with DW, you fix it.
DW is not annoying, its scary and unsafe. A "shimmy" in the wheel at certain speeds is annoying. Big difference.
Pink_Percy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Sanchodeltoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink_Percy View Post

You dont "deal" with DW, you fix it.
DW is not annoying, its scary and unsafe. A "shimmy" in the wheel at certain speeds is annoying. Big difference.

I deal/experience all that, and have been looking for a solution for years

Had tires rebalanced, 2 different mechanics look at it, and other things. I deal with it by managing my speeds.

So yes. I deal with it, until I find a solution. I'm not constantly driving, in wobble, but the threat exists when I hit certain speeds.
Sanchodeltoro is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Mountainman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: dallas tx
Posts: 184
My dad had it on his 2011 f350 and they tried many things
So they end up putting those shocks straight across the axle
Mountainman12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchodeltoro View Post

I deal/experience all that, and have been looking for a solution for years

Had tires rebalanced, 2 different mechanics look at it, and other things. I deal with it by managing my speeds.

So yes. I deal with it, until I find a solution. I'm not constantly driving, in wobble, but the threat exists when I hit certain speeds.
Thats not what I meant. Im talking about full blown death wobble where your driving down the highway and the Jeep goes into convulsions and you think your gonna die until you stop. Thats death wobble. That you dont "deal" with. Been there, done that and was scared to drive over 25 mph after it happened. Worn out track bar bushing was the cause on that. 99% of people call a "shimmy" in the wheel that only happens from 49-62 mph death wobble. Thats usually caused by balance, alignment or worn out tires.
Pink_Percy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Sanchodeltoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink_Percy View Post

Thats not what I meant. Im talking about full blown death wobble where your driving down the highway and the Jeep goes into convulsions and you think your gonna die until you stop. Thats death wobble. That you dont "deal" with. Been there, done that and was scared to drive over 25 mph after it happened. Worn out track bar bushing was the cause on that. 99% of people call a "shimmy" in the wheel that only happens from 49-62 mph death wobble. Thats usually caused by balance, alignment or worn out tires.
Simply put... My vehicle will fall apart if I continue to drive when it DW. It violently shakes, and if I continue to increase speed,. I would need to grip the steering wheel like a b17 bomber pilot tyring to pull his plane out of a steep dive.

I have to pull over or slow Down to under 40mph on the freeway.

Call that shimmy, jimmy, or anything else you want. I consider it DW,.and an continually looking for solutions.
So far, ensuring my tires psi are the same has helped.
But I can sense it is a temporary solution.
Sanchodeltoro is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchodeltoro View Post

Simply put... My vehicle will fall apart if I continue to drive when it DW. It violently shakes, and if I continue to increase speed,. I would need to grip the steering wheel like a b17 bomber pilot tyring to pull his plane out of a steep dive.

I have to pull over or slow Down to under 40mph on the freeway.

Call that shimmy, jimmy, or anything else you want. I consider it DW,.and an continually looking for solutions.
So far, ensuring my tires psi are the same has helped.
But I can sense it is a temporary solution.
That is dw. Have a buddy turn your steering wheel back and forth and check for any loose or moving parts. Check the track bar on the axle side, it may be worn out or oblongled. It is fixable. I thought you were saying the wheel shakes at a certain speed, thats what most people consider dw. I had it so bad i watched the tires wobble back and forth, not just the steering wheel
Pink_Percy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,918
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchodeltoro View Post
I consider it DW,.and an continually looking for solutions.
So far, ensuring my tires psi are the same has helped.
But I can sense it is a temporary solution.
Do a dry steering test as described in post #6. Many times it is not severe movement in one joint, but a combination of slight movement in many joints. The more times DW happens, the more parts will be destroyed. This is something that needs to be figured out and fixed.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Sanchodeltoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post

Do a dry steering test as described in post #6. Many times it is not severe movement in one joint, but a combination of slight movement in many joints. The more times DW happens, the more parts will be destroyed. This is something that needs to be figured out and fixed.

I will do a dry test today. Last week I checked the track bar, and other parts under the front... No lateral movement.

Under the hood.. I noticed the steering shaft/bar had some movement. I think that might be my problem.

Also.. DW only happens when ur isn't freezing outside. That made me think about tire psi which I found was off. After airing then down a but, seems ok for now.

much thanks for the input from everyone btw

Sanchodeltoro is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC