Detroit locker qestion - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Apalovcak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 316
Detroit locker qestion

How do u engage this locker do u get out and turn hubs on the out side of the diff and im talking about it for the rear diff can someone explain or point me to a forum that does

Apalovcak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,452
Images: 2
The Detroit Locker is an automatic locker. Its normal mode is locked but it unlocks during turns, curves, etc. No need to turn hubs, push a button, etc. It works very simply, automatically, and is well behaved when on the street.

And only install any locker like the Detroit Locker into the rear axle when that rear axle is strong enough to hold up to the added stress a locker causes on the axle shafts. The standard Dana 35 rear axle is definitely not strong enough for a locker but the optional significantly stronger upgraded Dana 44 axle is strong enough.

I ran a Detroit Locker for over 120k miles in my previous (stolen) TJ and loved it.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Apalovcak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The Detroit Locker is an automatic locker. Its normal mode is locked but it unlocks during turns, curves, etc. No need to turn hubs, push a button, etc. It works very simply, automatically, and is well behaved when on the street.

And only install any locker like the Detroit Locker into the rear axle when that rear axle is strong enough to hold up to the added stress a locker causes on the axle shafts. The standard Dana 35 rear axle is definitely not strong enough for a locker but the optional significantly stronger upgraded Dana 44 axle is strong enough.

I ran a Detroit Locker for over 120k miles in my previous (stolen) TJ and loved it.
Thanks so much thats what i think i want to run id rather avoid air and all those other ones i have a dana 44 that i will be upgrading to when i put my lift on and i just was confused on what locker id want also my dana 44 is out of a tj i would assume when i regear that i should to axle shafts also?
Apalovcak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalovcak View Post
Thanks so much thats what i think i want to run id rather avoid air and all those other ones i have a dana 44 that i will be upgrading to when i put my lift on and i just was confused on what locker id want also my dana 44 is out of a tj i would assume when i regear that i should to axle shafts also?
This isnt necessary. Many people recommend doing lockers and gearing at the same time because, the cost in labor should be essentially the same as NOT locking it. However, once regeared, you would have to probably pay that labor charge again to put the locker in.

Axles shafts are an easy swap that you can do yourself. Nothing says you cant have them put shafts in as well, but it's not necessary if you wanna save yourself some money.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Apalovcak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post

This isnt necessary. Many people recommend doing lockers and gearing at the same time because, the cost in labor should be essentially the same as NOT locking it. However, once regeared, you would have to probably pay that labor charge again to put the locker in.

Axles shafts are an easy swap that you can do yourself. Nothing says you cant have them put shafts in as well, but it's not necessary if you wanna save yourself some money.
Thanks yeah o can do axle shafts ive done them before at work i just wasn't sure if i needed them
Apalovcak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalovcak View Post
Thanks yeah o can do axle shafts ive done them before at work i just wasn't sure if i needed them
It depends on the wheeling you are doing and what kind of driver you are to determine if the shafts need upgraded. In most cases, I would venture to say you are probably fine on the stock shafts.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 7,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The Detroit Locker is an automatic locker. Its normal mode is locked but it unlocks during turns, curves, etc. No need to turn hubs, push a button, etc. It works very simply, automatically, and is well behaved when on the street. And only install any locker like the Detroit Locker into the rear axle when that rear axle is strong enough to hold up to the added stress a locker causes on the axle shafts. The standard Dana 35 rear axle is definitely not strong enough for a locker but the optional significantly stronger upgraded Dana 44 axle is strong enough. I ran a Detroit Locker for over 120k miles in my previous (stolen) TJ and loved it.
This answered my question i was just about to post. Since i tatered the front D30 i think im going with a HP30 upfront with a lokka locker and a ford 8.8 in the back with a detroit locker. Both geared to 4.56. Ok so one more question. I have a Lokka locker for a standard D30 for a TJ, will this work in the HP 30 assuming I use my axles?? Sorry to hijack
krisbman is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,009
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbman View Post
This answered my question i was just about to post. Since i tatered the front D30 i think im going with a HP30 upfront with a lokka locker and a ford 8.8 in the back with a detroit locker. Both geared to 4.56. Ok so one more question. I have a Lokka locker for a standard D30 for a TJ, will this work in the HP 30 assuming I use my axles?? Sorry to hijack
I think it should work.. but check the part numbers to be sure.... I had one when it was still under the aussia locker name.. great product no problems for me..
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,452
Images: 2
Lockers for the D30 don't care if it's a HP or LP axle. Only the gears care.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 7,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Lockers for the D30 don't care if it's a HP or LP axle. Only the gears care.
Ok. I wont bother sending it back
krisbman is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 163
do not forget the Super 35 option if you have a dana 35, 99 times out of 100 it will be cheaper then swapping and 44 or and 8.8 and a super 35s axle shafts are teh same diameter as both a 44 and 8.8
Eckoh is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 7,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckoh View Post
do not forget the Super 35 option if you have a dana 35, 99 times out of 100 it will be cheaper then swapping and 44 or and 8.8 and a super 35s axle shafts are teh same diameter as both a 44 and 8.8
Yeah but the ring & pinion are still much smaller and a built D35 still isnt as strong as a factory D44
krisbman is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Apalovcak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbman View Post
Yeah but the ring & pinion are still much smaller and a built D35 still isnt as strong as a factory D44
X2 and i also have a hp30 im going to run in the front

Apalovcak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC