Door (full door) Handle Rattles??? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 93
Door (full door) Handle Rattles???

Is this something common and if so, what needs to be done to fix it? It's getting real annoying as you can hear it rattle when hitting bumps as well as shutting the door.

FLjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Anomaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 179
Outer handle?
If so and it's loose (ie, comes out of the door a little or a lot), then you'll get to pull the interior door panel off, remove the window, and remove the lower window weather strip to access and inspect the door handle retainers.

The retainers are bronze(?) saw edged wedges that are jammed between the door and a spring backed tab on the door handle. Find the bronze wedges and inspect the spring clips, then insert the wedges into position (enter from the top) and follow up with a tap on each wedge with a screw driver and hammer.

Good luck!

__________________
2002 Wrangler SE - 4 Angry Squirrels!
Anomaly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
Outer handle?
If so and it's loose (ie, comes out of the door a little or a lot), then you'll get to pull the interior door panel off, remove the window, and remove the lower window weather strip to access and inspect the door handle retainers.

The retainers are bronze(?) saw edged wedges that are jammed between the door and a spring backed tab on the door handle. Find the bronze wedges and inspect the spring clips, then insert the wedges into position (enter from the top) and follow up with a tap on each wedge with a screw driver and hammer.

Good luck!
Yes, I should have clarified it is the OUTER handle. It's not the entire unit, just the portion that you grab. With the door shut you can move it back and forth about a 1/4".

I was looking at replacement handles and they appear to be about $20 each side. Mine don't look the best so I'm thinking of just going ahead and replacing them.
FLjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Outlaw Jeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 155
A cheaper fix that has always worked for every squeak, rattle, or clunk on my Jeep . . . Insert Pantera CD, track forward to "Walk", crank it up, and repeat! Sorry man, I just had to . . .
Outlaw Jeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Jeeper View Post
A cheaper fix that has always worked for every squeak, rattle, or clunk on my Jeep . . . Insert Pantera CD, track forward to "Walk", crank it up, and repeat! Sorry man, I just had to . . .
Sorry I already tried the Pantera CD fix, although I went about it a different way. I broke the Pantera CD into several pieces and used the pieces as shims to stop the rattles

Sorry... couldn't help it either. Now if you said Kenny Chesney CD I'd been right there with you
FLjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Anomaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 179
$20 to replace doesn't seem so bad. I think you'll still have to take the door apart, though.
__________________
2002 Wrangler SE - 4 Angry Squirrels!
Anomaly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Outlaw Jeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLjeep View Post
Sorry I already tried the Pantera CD fix, although I went about it a different way. I broke the Pantera CD into several pieces and used the pieces as shims to stop the rattles

Sorry... couldn't help it either. Now if you said Kenny Chesney CD I'd been right there with you
Kenny Chesney is alright in my book as well, or any Jason Aldean track
Outlaw Jeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Jeeper View Post
Kenny Chesney is alright in my book as well, or any Jason Aldean track
Laid back swervin like I'm George Jones
FLjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California (Inland Empire)
Posts: 338
I am sorry, but the best way to solve ur problem to get rid of the noise is to just remove ur doors. Come on, it is a jeep. The doors should not be on the thing anyways.
darin.1701 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by darin.1701 View Post
I am sorry, but the best way to solve ur problem to get rid of the noise is to just remove ur doors. Come on, it is a jeep. The doors should not be on the thing anyways.
They are off it 90% of the time, but that pesky thing called Winter forces them back on at times.

FLjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transfercase shift lever rattles?? timritchieblue TJ Tech Forum 14 02-28-2013 02:32 AM
swing out carrier rattles. Whatcha got? monkeee2002 TJ Tech Forum 18 11-09-2010 06:52 PM
Found one of my rattles taking off at low speeds in first couple gears. plac JK General Discussion Forum 1 10-11-2010 05:42 PM
Rear Tire Carrier Latch Rattles Redz72 TJ Tech Forum 4 10-10-2010 05:35 PM
Front-End Rattles Rocky Bar TJ Tech Forum 3 02-26-2010 08:00 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC