Driving Barefooted??? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
HeyImWade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 86
Driving Barefooted???

With the summer coming up I am wondering if it's legal to drive barefooted. I live in Mississippi and when it gets hot enough to only wear gym shorts and a tshirt most people wear flip flops and chacos etc. which I hate wearing mostly because I don't think it's very safe driving in flip flops. So I'm wondering if I can get away with wearing no shoes. (Note: the doors would be off so a cop could see that I'm barefoot if I am.) Also the cops here don't enforce really well so I bet I could but as always I wanna keep it legal.

HeyImWade is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Marcwakefield22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 624
I don't see why it would illegal? I mean I wouldn't let it stop you. I live in nc and I drive without shoes on all the time and I've never had a problem. My doors are off too. And I mean if a cop pulls you over for that then they are just a @#$%. That's like pulling someone over for window tint but worse ha

Marcwakefield22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Was in the mountains, now in Texas
Posts: 3,663
Images: 4
Check your state laws, but here in Utah it is illegal.
__________________
2000 Sahara, 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift, 1" spring spacer & 1" Body Lift, 33" or 35" BFG Mud tires, Front & Rear ARB, Rancho 9000 shocks, UCF Ultra High Belly Up

doclouie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
LSU_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 113
Just keep a pair of flip flops under your seat just in case!
__________________
GEAUX TIGERS!
LSU_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Personally I think it should be "illegal" for women to wear high heels while driving any vehicle
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Marcwakefield22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post
Personally I think it should be "illegal" for women to wear high heels while driving any vehicle
It should be illegal for women to drive period. Hahaha my girlfriend scares the crap outta me
Marcwakefield22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcwakefield22 View Post
It should be illegal for women to drive period. Hahaha my girlfriend scares the crap outta me
I hear ya loud and clear on that... I always opt to drive if we have to go somewhere together. I love my girlfriend but I get white knuckled when she drives

I watched this show called "Canada's Worst Drivers" and one episode had a woman trying to do the obstacle course with high heels... MY GOD, no offence to women but atleast wear proper foot gear while driving.
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Marcwakefield22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post

I hear ya loud and clear on that... I always opt to drive if we have to go somewhere together. I love my girlfriend but I get white knuckled when she drives

I watched this show called "Canada's Worst Drivers" and one episode had a woman trying to do the obstacle course with high heels... MY GOD, no offence to women but atleast wear proper foot gear while driving.
Yea same here unless it's a long distance then I usually have to ride in her Lexus and slam on an imaginary brake that I wish I had. Haha and if I get lucky, mom will feel sorry for me having to drive so far home from college that she will let me take her '13 Grand Cherokee

And if she is wearing heels I drive. No exceptions to that one haha
Marcwakefield22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyImWade View Post
With the summer coming up I am wondering if it's legal to drive barefooted. I live in Mississippi and when it gets hot enough to only wear gym shorts and a tshirt most people wear flip flops and chacos etc. which I hate wearing mostly because I don't think it's very safe driving in flip flops. So I'm wondering if I can get away with wearing no shoes. (Note: the doors would be off so a cop could see that I'm barefoot if I am.) Also the cops here don't enforce really well so I bet I could but as always I wanna keep it legal.
Where at in Mississippi? I'm from Long Beach.
And I do this all the time for the same reason. I'm a lifeguard in the summer so flip flops are on my feet everyday and I agree that it feels unsafe to drive in them. I usually just kick them off when I get in and put them on when I get out. Never had trouble with the cops. But like said before just keep a pair of flip flops close by if it is actually illegal (I still haven't checked of it is or not here haha)
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Vroooom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sin-Tex
Posts: 1,659
Driving barefoot isnt illegal in Tx.

I love hanging a foot out the edge of the door and enjoying the breeze.

Cargo shorts....no further comment.

I like going doorless.

Keep in mind, flip flops tucked under the seat might blow away.

As stated above...each state has different laws. What some permit, others might not.

But if you are in a state that thinks driving barefoot is unsafe...you should move to a state that allows you to think for yourself.
__________________
Threads wander aimlessly....always refer back to post #1
2012 Black Unlimited Sahara (mine)
2011 Black Corvette 3LT (wife's)
2005 Black Suzuki C50T (ours)
"Hope" is NOT a strategy
Vroooom is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,009
^^ Good point there. Ha I seriously doubt it is in Mississippi. And if it is the cops don't care. I even asked a cop if my KC lights needed to be moved one night when I got pulled over. They are very clearly about 20" above the legal height, he said they were fine. (BTW, he pulled me over for "suspected trespassing" after I came off my girlfriend's property late at night, I say he was bored)
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Illegal here in Michigan.
Johnnyfive is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
SurfKaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 1,442
I prefer driving barefoot since I mostly wear sandals outside of work. I seriously doubt it's illegal in most states. I assume there would be too much room to argue on what's proper foot ware for driving. However, I'm no Johnny law so check your local listings.

& no pun intended for the above user name /\
SurfKaster is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
EDIT FROM WIKI:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot

It is not illegal to drive a motor vehicle while barefoot. Some people speculate that driving barefoot increases the risk of an accident if bare feet slip off the pedals.[62] It is legal throughout the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom to drive barefoot.[62][63][64] However, in some jurisdictions, police officers may ticket you for other things if the fact that you were driving barefoot or in flip-flops/high heeled shoes hindered your driving and/or resulted in an accident.[65]
Johnnyfive is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,009
Got bored so I looked it up. All sites I saw said it was legal. I kinda figured we wouldn't have a law like that anyway.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfive View Post
Heres a link I found with your answer. Appears its only 100% legal in Alabama, Ohio, and California.

Is It Illegal to Drive Barefoot?
Yeah I saw that article too. Funny thing is all the states that's its "legal" (AL, CA, OH) in were said to be illegal on all the other sites. And where she says it's "legal" all the other sites said its illegal. So I discounted her information because it was literally exactly backwards. I think she got confused.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
SurfKaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 1,442
Just asked a veteran law officer & to his knowledge the answer is no, it is not illegal.
SurfKaster is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
cork1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: MI
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfive View Post
Illegal here in Michigan.
Yep,
I'll double up on that illegality here in Michigan!!
cork1958 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcwakefield22 View Post
It should be illegal for women to drive period. Hahaha my girlfriend scares the crap outta me
Especially Asian women.
__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,295
I can tell you that even if it was illegal, the LEO would be laughed out of court if he / she charged it. I have heard for years it was illegal in NC. I have looked in the Chapt. 20 general statute's for NC and I have found no mention of barefoot driving.

I drive quite a bit barefoot in the summer cause I don't think driving with flip flops is safe.
NC Bear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
GoodLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Navarre, Florida
Posts: 180
All I ever where are flip flops unless i'm headed to the gym. I have had the heal of the flip flop get caught on the floorboard a few times while breaking. I feel safer barefoot but the clutch feels weird. I wish the pedal was a bigger.
__________________
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -Hunter S. Thompson
GoodLife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Vroooom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sin-Tex
Posts: 1,659
Having been a brother of the badge and an instructor for quite a while, I must reluctantly admit that cops......are people too. And although MOST departments work very hard to screen out candidates who are...abnormal...there are always a few who make it through the process or develop bad habbits at some point along their career.

Unfortunately, that sometimes means that an officer might be enough of an egotist that they allow their personal preferences and values to seep into their duties. Some might say something is illegal, when it is not a formal statute or ordinance, just to flex their perceived authority. I've even seen a couple of officers over the years who have gone so far as to issue a citation, and go to court, and be informed by the defense counsel that there was no such law.

Three possibilities exist in such a scenario: 1) Officer just made s__t up, and didnt think the citizen would challenge the citation. 2) Officer misinterpreted "his understanding" of what could be a poorly or vaguely written statute which allows for "officer discretion" (I hate those). 3) Officer just didnt know.

On the flip side....there is, of course, always the potential for completely assinine laws to exist on the books, and while a good officer might shake their head and choose not to enforce legislative idiocy...another officer might be having a bad day or need to flex his ego or be bored or for whatever reason he might decided that you win the prize and get to be the guy who gets legitimately cited for an obscure offense.

Some folks wave those off as "technicalities" but you'll find that the term "technicality" and "Rule or law"are interchangable dependant upon which side of the courtroom you are sitting in.

In short...find, print, and read and know your states motor vehicle laws. If you encounter an officer who you think is citing you incorrectly (you are people too and could be wrong just as easily as he) just go with it, dont argue or get all bowed-up. The only thing more dangerous than a bored cop is a pissed-off police officer. Take the citation, followup with the patrol supervisor the following day, and with the court if need-be.

the moral to all of this.... not every "law" quoted by cops...is real.

In fairness to the profession, a vaaaast majority of officers truely do try to do the right thing and not abuse the powers that are afforded to them by the citizens of their community.

Sadly, there are still some of these out there and even ONE is too many:

__________________
Threads wander aimlessly....always refer back to post #1
2012 Black Unlimited Sahara (mine)
2011 Black Corvette 3LT (wife's)
2005 Black Suzuki C50T (ours)
"Hope" is NOT a strategy
Vroooom is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
thgr8alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,639
Local police stations have a non-emergency number you can call. I call it whenever i have a question like this such as tint level and stuff. Havent called on this one so i cant say anything on it yet. But if your really curious just give them a call, ive done it a couple times haha its what theyre there for!
__________________
1998 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0 I6
33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
3 inch Zone suspension lift, Rubicon Express adjustable front track bar, 1.25 inch body lift.
thgr8alex is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroooom View Post
Having been a brother of the badge and an instructor for quite a while, I must reluctantly admit that cops......are people too. And although MOST departments work very hard to screen out candidates who are...abnormal...there are always a few who make it through the process or develop bad habbits at some point along their career.

Unfortunately, that sometimes means that an officer might be enough of an egotist that they allow their personal preferences and values to seep into their duties. Some might say something is illegal, when it is not a formal statute or ordinance, just to flex their perceived authority. I've even seen a couple of officers over the years who have gone so far as to issue a citation, and go to court, and be informed by the defense counsel that there was no such law.

Three possibilities exist in such a scenario: 1) Officer just made s__t up, and didnt think the citizen would challenge the citation. 2) Officer misinterpreted "his understanding" of what could be a poorly or vaguely written statute which allows for "officer discretion" (I hate those). 3) Officer just didnt know.

On the flip side....there is, of course, always the potential for completely assinine laws to exist on the books, and while a good officer might shake their head and choose not to enforce legislative idiocy...another officer might be having a bad day or need to flex his ego or be bored or for whatever reason he might decided that you win the prize and get to be the guy who gets legitimately cited for an obscure offense.

Some folks wave those off as "technicalities" but you'll find that the term "technicality" and "Rule or law"are interchangable dependant upon which side of the courtroom you are sitting in.

In short...find, print, and read and know your states motor vehicle laws. If you encounter an officer who you think is citing you incorrectly (you are people too and could be wrong just as easily as he) just go with it, dont argue or get all bowed-up. The only thing more dangerous than a bored cop is a pissed-off police officer. Take the citation, followup with the patrol supervisor the following day, and with the court if need-be.

the moral to all of this.... not every "law" quoted by cops...is real.

In fairness to the profession, a vaaaast majority of officers truely do try to do the right thing and not abuse the powers that are afforded to them by the citizens of their community.

Sadly, there are still some of these out there and even ONE is too many:

Awesome reply!

Being a cop in FL, it's not illegal here and I do it all the time.
Wordgie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Raiderfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knob Noster, MO
Posts: 7,312
The very few times I have drove barefoot, usually just around the house to move a very short distance or after floating a river and driving people back to their vehicles, I didn't like it at all. It feels weird. But I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it though.
Raiderfan001 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,625
If your in an accident and end up escaping your vehicle among sharp metal and broken glass you will wish you had shoes on. That is the main motivation, I think, behind the laws in some states. It was illegal in PA last time I checked.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Jeeping it real's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 110
Bruce Willis walked acrossed broken glass in Die Hard without a problem, so I don't think that's an issue...
Jeeping it real is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
miked12479's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Holt, MI
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cork1958 View Post
Yep,
I'll double up on that illegality here in Michigan!!
Barefoot driving is not illegal in Michigan....

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...6_172717_7.pdf
miked12479 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
ArmyMPFromMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 38
I have worked in law enforcement since 1990 in the military and civilian police departments. Generally, it is some stupid local ordinance that the city council passes that is reference in the barefoot driving. Personally, I would never enforce a law that infringes on the freedom of individuals and doesn't endanger the safety of the general public. I'd like to see some sort of study that proves driving barefoot is more dangerous than having tennis shoes, etc., unless you/re using Armor All on your brake pedal. SMH
__________________
You won't offend me if you call me a PIG... I do have "Pride, Integrity & Guts"!

"Assist, Protect & Defend" - US Army Military Police Corps
"To Serve & Protect" - American Law Enforcement
"To Enslave & Punish" - Barricade from the movie Transformers
ArmyMPFromMO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #30
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMPFromMO View Post
I have worked in law enforcement since 1990 in the military and civilian police departments. Generally, it is some stupid local ordinance that the city council passes that is reference in the barefoot driving. Personally, I would never enforce a law that infringes on the freedom of individuals and doesn't endanger the safety of the general public. I'd like to see some sort of study that proves driving barefoot is more dangerous than having tennis shoes, etc., unless you/re using Armor All on your brake pedal. SMH
I agree with you completely. To me I feel like the reason for shoes might be compared to seatbelts. They don't do much for you during normal driving, but offer substantial protection in an accident. Same with a helmet and long sleeve gear on a motor cycle. Some of that is required by law, some isn't. Personally people can do whatever. I just think that might be the reason behind the law as far as the origin goes. People are gona do what they want, and that includes driving barefoot. It does seem silly to make it a law.

__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
barefoot , summer

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC