Don't know how to start, so I'll just jump right in...
Big step for me - most ambitious thing I've done to date is my D30 Aussie locker (works great BTW - some clicks, no big deal).
Project is scheduled for January/February 2010, but I'm starting the learning, planning, collect part & tools phase now. Plus, if I hurry, I can get some stuff on Santa's list.
Regear is from my current 3.07 to 4.56 (for 33" tires) - front and rear, of course. Super 35 kit for the rear, of course.
It would be wiser to pay the mechanic, but how is that fun?
leaving tools list for later, I think the major parts I need are:
1) front R&P gears with master rebuild kit
2) front diff case for the numerically higher gears (case break at 3.73, I think)
3) I DON'T need a new front locker 'cause I can re-use the Aussie in the new case
4) Superior super 35 kit with OX locker (correct me if OX is a bad choice, but that's my preference for now)
5) Rear R&P gears with master rebuild kit
6) misc stuff like thread sealant, diff fluid, the red plymer gasket stuff, gear paint
7) tools - but let's leave that for later.
Some questions - to get things started:
- What am I missing?
- Will some of the parts in the super 35 kit be duplicated with the master rebuild kit?
- I assume the master rebuild kit includes everything I need (except actual R&P) like: bearings, ring gear bolts, an appropriate selection of shims, the necessary washers. Am I wrong? Are there odds and ends I need to buy seperately?
- I've found a couple of regear write-ups on the web, but want to read all I can. Anybody know where to find good regear write-ups?
- What I've read suggests I can make setup bearings from the old bearings...
I hope that's enough to generate good advice. All helpful comments are appreciated.
...and don't beat me up too bad for not knowing exactly what I'm doing - I hope to get it mostly figured out before I start taking the bolts out.
04 TJ X D30/35 3.07 31X10.5
2"BB, SB Disco, Aussie in front
Some radios & anetnnas & stuff.