Gear not shifting after sye and tummy tuck? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Gear not shifting after sye and tummy tuck?

I just completed my sye, tummy tuck, and adjustment of the rear upper control arms.

I just went out for a test drive and it seems to me that the gear is not shifting to 2nd or 3rd. I am only able to go about 33-40mph and it gets really loud. I am not sure what I did wrong.

Do I need to replace my spedo gear again? I replaced it when I put in the 33" tires I'm not sure if I need to get a different spedo gear again.

My Banks exhaust seems to be a lot more louder than before could it be that I took out the pipes after the muffler? It was getting in the way with the tummy tuck.

Any thoughts?

__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
I hope I don't have to open my t-case again for this.

Any thoughts... anyone?

__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Cdavidsonrzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West chicago il
Posts: 42
Any check engine light and does your speedo work
Cdavidsonrzr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Overthink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Talladega,AL
Posts: 175
I'm interested in following this...sounds like u may have the exhaust restricted Didn't bend anything in the install, did ya
Overthink is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdavidsonrzr View Post
Any check engine light and does your speedo work

No engine check light and yes the spedo gear did work.
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthink View Post
I'm interested in following this...sounds like u may have the exhaust restricted Didn't bend anything in the install, did ya

Nothing got bend during the process.
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
I am wondering if the kick down tension cable need to be adjusted after the tummy tuck.

Someone chime in?
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Cdavidsonrzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West chicago il
Posts: 42
Possable. Make sure you didnt kink the fuel like by the contol arms too. Also make sure nothing got knocked off motor if you let it hang real low. Like a vacume line.
Cdavidsonrzr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Cdavidsonrzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West chicago il
Posts: 42
Or the throttle possition sensor
Cdavidsonrzr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
As you probably realize by now, this isn't a "bolt up and go" procedure. Take a look at your exhaust--it's no longer sitting happily neutral and is probably cocked up toward the passenger side. I bet it's also touching the passenger side front upper control arm frame mount. You need to lower the transmission hanger at the t-case mount to sit the exhaust back into its neutral state.

As for the transmission, have you looked at the linkage? THINK about what you just did--you just radically changed the relationship between the tub and drivetrain....t-case and transmission linkages rely on that relationship. So you'll need to make adjustments in order to compensate. Speaking of the t-case linkage, you'll learn to hate the overly complicated Z linkage....take a look at the Novak cable shifter. Simple and awesome.

Check to make sure you don't have any interference between the tub and drivetrain....that'll cause some serious noise since it's effectively negating the body mounts' absorption.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
TheTJRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,369
Can you shift the tcase? Having a top speed of 40 and being really loud sounds like your in 4low
__________________
'03 TJ Sport / D30/Ford9 / 35x12.5x15 KM2 / D window black steel 15x8 wheels / 3" custom long arm lift / SYE & 1350 DS / JKS BL / 1" MML / Smittybilt's front bumper, Tube fenders, Rocker guards, and rear bumper / High Rock Tire Carrier
Just bought a True Hi9 rear and a D44 front, both with ARB's and 4.88 gears!! Check out the build!
TheTJRod is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
As you probably realize by now, this isn't a "bolt up and go" procedure. Take a look at your exhaust--it's no longer sitting happily neutral and is probably cocked up toward the passenger side. I bet it's also touching the passenger side front upper control arm frame mount. You need to lower the transmission hanger at the t-case mount to sit the exhaust back into its neutral state.

As for the transmission, have you looked at the linkage? THINK about what you just did--you just radically changed the relationship between the tub and drivetrain....t-case and transmission linkages rely on that relationship. So you'll need to make adjustments in order to compensate. Speaking of the t-case linkage, you'll learn to hate the overly complicated Z linkage....take a look at the Novak cable shifter. Simple and awesome.

Check to make sure you don't have any interference between the tub and drivetrain....that'll cause some serious noise since it's effectively negating the body mounts' absorption.
The transmission hanger, how does it look like? I did not make any adjust to this one.

I forgot to mention that I also installed the Novak cable shifter during the belly up procedure. I am able to shift it into all the 4wd mode.
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTJRod View Post
Can you shift the tcase? Having a top speed of 40 and being really loud sounds like your in 4low

Yes, I can shift the tcase into each mode without any problems.

The 4wd indicator lights would light up if I was in 4hi or 4lo, but they were not on.
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
TheTJRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by oIIIIIIo View Post
I forgot to mention that I also installed the Novak cable shifter during the belly up procedure. I am able to shift it into all the 4wd mode.
Makes my point moot.
__________________
'03 TJ Sport / D30/Ford9 / 35x12.5x15 KM2 / D window black steel 15x8 wheels / 3" custom long arm lift / SYE & 1350 DS / JKS BL / 1" MML / Smittybilt's front bumper, Tube fenders, Rocker guards, and rear bumper / High Rock Tire Carrier
Just bought a True Hi9 rear and a D44 front, both with ARB's and 4.88 gears!! Check out the build!
TheTJRod is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTJRod View Post
Makes my point moot.

Thanks for your input....

I am wondering now, could I have made a mistake that when I installed the cable shifter the tcase gear got put into 4hi or 4lo without knowing it?
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Jeep_guy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lincoln County, OR
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by oIIIIIIo

Thanks for your input....

I am wondering now, could I have made a mistake that when I installed the cable shifter the tcase gear got put into 4hi or 4lo without knowing it?
It's possible, I just installed my Novak last night and was afraid of this problem so I made sure to double check everything before tightening things up.

When in 2hi at the lever make sure the little arm shifter on the tcase itself is pointing towards the front of the jeep (it was easy to do move by throwing a socket on the nut that holds that arm on and trying to tighten it)
__________________
My JEEP helped win a war, your HONDA cuts my grass!
Jeep_guy3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
If you're really in 4low, it should be immediately evident....if that's the case, don't try to set any speed records until you figure it out.

As for the exhaust hanger.....it's the exhaust hanger @ the passenger side of the transmission mount. Not sure how else to describe it. Pretty obvious.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
If you're really in 4low, it should be immediately evident....if that's the case, don't try to set any speed records until you figure it out.

As for the exhaust hanger.....it's the exhaust hanger @ the passenger side of the transmission mount. Not sure how else to describe it. Pretty obvious.

If I was in 4lo the indicator light would be lit on the dash, but it is not on.

Exhaust hanger...is that the one with the black rubber bushing like?
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by oIIIIIIo View Post
If I was in 4lo the indicator light would be lit on the dash, but it is not on.
And you'd be scrubbing when turning, steering wouldn't be responsive, it'd be slower, and it would generally drive like crap on dry pavement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oIIIIIIo View Post
Exhaust hanger...is that the one with the black rubber bushing like?
Yes. Exhaust hanger = piece that the exhaust hangs from. Lower it and you'll lower the exhaust down.

That's totally besides your transmission issue, though. It sounds like you could be pinching a line......just use your eyes and look closely at everything. Transmission not shifting well + loud = something is touching.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
And you'd be scrubbing when turning, steering wouldn't be responsive, it'd be slower, and it would generally drive like crap on dry pavement.

Yes. Exhaust hanger = piece that the exhaust hangs from. Lower it and you'll lower the exhaust down.

Got it....thanks

That's totally besides your transmission issue, though. It sounds like you could be pinching a line......just use your eyes and look closely at everything. Transmission not shifting well + loud = something is touching.
Hmmm...I don't even know where to start looking now.

I did not check my transmission fluid after the tt, maybe that is low and causing the tranny not to shift.
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
I doubt it's a fluid issue....if it was shifting fine before the tuck, the slightly flatter angle shouldn't make any difference. You need to start by getting under the Jeep and making sure NOTHING is contacting or pinched at the tub. Set a jack stand under the bell housing, unbolt the skid, and drop it. It's not rocket science man....this is happening for a reason. Find that reason and fix it. When you support the transmission, make sure the drivetrain is sitting close to where it's sitting now so that if the problem is a pinched line, it'll be exposed. If you let the drivetrain drop down 3" to sit on a jackstand, it could very well fix itself and you'll miss it. Hell, toss the stock skid on and go for a short drive. Then at least you'll know it's related to raising the drivetrain.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Thanks...I will take a look at it later today or tomorrow if it is not too dark.
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 671
You have the auto i6? man i hope you figure it out. i'm doing mine soon. i got my SYE in the mail today, waiting on CV and upper control arms. Did your lift have the transfer case relocation bracket or thing came with it? i keep wondering if i can take mine off once the SYE/CV and the arms go in.
__________________
04 TJ Sport (Stolen)
05 LJ Sport "My build"
htkrph is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by htkrph View Post
You have the auto i6? man i hope you figure it out. i'm doing mine soon. i got my SYE in the mail today, waiting on CV and upper control arms. Did your lift have the transfer case relocation bracket or thing came with it? i keep wondering if i can take mine off once the SYE/CV and the arms go in.

The teraflex lift did not come with the tc relocation bracket. I got rid of my stock linkage and installed the Novak cable shifter.
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
oIIIIIIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 676
*******Updates************

Everything is fixed now. The throttle valve was out of adjustment from the tummy tuck. I adjusted the TV cable and the transmission is shifting properly now.
__________________
2000 TJ, I6, Auto
oIIIIIIo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
ipleadda2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver Metro Area Colorado
Posts: 670
Tummy tuck and no 4 Low

Gee wiz, wrong thread. Sorry.

__________________
Stop thinking and all your problems go away.
- Lao Tzu (from Tao Te Ching) ~500BCE

ipleadda2nd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hilift and jack stands? cocky grin General Jeep Discussion 8 03-11-2012 11:47 AM
Keyed Gas Cap not a bad idea with gas headed north New2012JEEP JK General Discussion Forum 42 03-10-2012 01:59 PM
Atta Boys and Girls lemonsbw Off-Topic 14 03-06-2012 12:10 AM
Help 4x4 not working Mattsyj General Jeep Discussion 2 03-05-2012 06:55 PM
20" 22" and 24" Wheel and tire pics on Jeeps toddy204 JK General Discussion Forum 29 03-05-2012 05:57 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC