Gears grinding! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Gears grinding!

Ok so recently my Jeep started grinding pretty horrible when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd, while making a turn. I used to be able to shift down at 15MPH without hearing the grind but now it grinds all the time! I have an 02 TJ "X" model. I assume the AX-15 transmission. 5 speed of course any help is appreciated guys! Thanks

King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,793
Images: 2
The AX15 was last used in 1999, your tranny is the NV3550. What transmission lube is in it?

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The AX15 was last used in 1999, your tranny is the NV3550. What transmission lube is in it?
Oh ok I'm sorry! Total my bad! I have no idea, I haven't changed it since I bought my Jeep from the PO!
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
SurfKaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 1,679
My jeep was doing the exact same thing just before my clutch blew. Figured my synchro gears were on their way out, but after I changed my clutch it stopped. Can't say that's it for you, but you could start by changing your tranny fluid. They can be finicky if they don't have the right type. Red Line MTL is a good choice.
SurfKaster is online now   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Monkey
My jeep was doing the exact same thing just before my clutch blew. Figured my synchro gears were on their way out, but after I changed my clutch it stopped. Can't say that's it for you, but you could start by changing your tranny fluid. They can be finicky if they don't have the right type. Red Line MTL is a good choice.
Oh man really? How much is a clutch kit? Just to get an estimate, of course I'm gonna try the fluid first though. Is it difficult to do?
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
SurfKaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 1,679
A clutch kit should run you no more than 150 (bought my complete Luk kit for 100), but if you're looking to have a shop install it expect to pay 700 give or take. However, replacing the clutch worked for me, but you could very well have a synchro issue. Best case senario is that the PO installed the wrong fluid. bit if you're not 100% sure it' might be best to have a reputable shop take a look at it.
SurfKaster is online now   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Notoriously_rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 686
I am replacing clutch slave and master cylinder- might as well replace it all (us terminator tranny). Mine pops out and grinds so i said to heck with it! Lol got all my parts from pep boys for around $225
Notoriously_rob is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,793
Images: 2
Sometimes it's the pilot bearing that supports the transmission's input shaft that causes a transmission to grind when shifting gears... a bad pilot bearing can force the transmission to spin fast enough when shifting gears that it can grind. A good pilot bearing decouples the transmission from the engine when the clutch is engaged so the transmission doesn't spin as fast when you're stepping down on the clutch pedal. So when your clutch is replaced, make sure they replace the pilot bearing too which is usually included in complete clutch kits like from Luk.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Monkey
A clutch kit should run you no more than 150 (bought my complete Luk kit for 100), but if you're looking to have a shop install it expect to pay 700 give or take. However, replacing the clutch worked for me, but you could very well have a synchro issue. Best case senario is that the PO installed the wrong fluid. bit if you're not 100% sure it' might be best to have a reputable shop take a look at it.
Ok do I just add fluid into it through the top next to the brake fluid? Or how can I flush it all out?
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notoriously_rob
I am replacing clutch slave and master cylinder- might as well replace it all (us terminator tranny). Mine pops out and grinds so i said to heck with it! Lol got all my parts from pep boys for around $225
Lol might as well right! Yeah mine pops out of reverse as well every so often and of course grinds, might have to replace what you got replaced!
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Sometimes it's the pilot bearing that supports the transmission's input shaft that causes a transmission to grind when shifting gears... a bad pilot bearing can force the transmission to spin fast enough when shifting gears that it can grind. A good pilot bearing decouples the transmission from the engine when the clutch is engaged so the transmission doesn't spin as fast when you're stepping down on the clutch pedal. So when your clutch is replaced, make sure they replace the pilot bearing too which is usually included in complete clutch kits like from Luk.
Ok will do thanks Jerry! I always appreciate your input! I will try the fluid first though, if it fixes it then it'll save some money!
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,793
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Aragon View Post
Ok do I just add fluid into it through the top next to the brake fluid? Or how can I flush it all out?
Transmission gear lube is added in via the NV3550's fill hole on the side. The fluid container next to the brake fluid holds hydraulic fluid for the clutch system. No need to flush it before refilling it. Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax, and Amsoil Synchromesh are three good lubes for the NV3550. Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax, and Amsoil Synchromesh are three good lube choices. I would not use Synchromesh from GM or Pennzoil. Not many are happy with how their NV3550 transmissions shift after using Synchromesh from GM or Pennzoil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NV3550 drain & fill plugs.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	208228  
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Transmission gear lube is added in via the NV3550's fill hole on the side. The fluid container next to the brake fluid holds hydraulic fluid for the clutch system. No need to flush it before refilling it. Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax, and Amsoil Synchromesh are three good lubes for the NV3550. Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax, and Amsoil Synchromesh are three good lube choices. I would not use Synchromesh from GM or Pennzoil. Not many are happy with how their NV3550 transmissions shift after using Synchromesh from GM or Pennzoil.
I went to auto zone and oreily and neither have royal purple. I will try Napa tomorrow, I want the royal purple because I hear it the best one. Thanks again Jerry, I see how to change it then!
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,793
Images: 2
If you're not in a rush, I would just order Redline MTL from www.summitracing.com who is extremely fast with their shipments. I'm not one who places Royal Purple up on a pedestal. They make very good quality lubricants with a purple dye added. There are many others who make equally good quality lubricants but without the purple dye. Redline has at least as good of a reputation as any.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
If you're not in a rush, I would just order Redline MTL from www.summitracing.com who is extremely fast with their shipments. I'm not one who places Royal Purple up on a pedestal. They make very good quality lubricants with a purple dye added. There are many others who make equally good quality lubricants but without the purple dye. Redline has at least as good of a reputation as any.
Cool! Thanks Jerry, which one do you use on your Jeep?
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,793
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Aragon View Post
Cool! Thanks Jerry, which one do you use on your Jeep?
When I still had a manual transmission, I made it a point to use Redline.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
When I still had a manual transmission, I made it a point to use Redline.
Cool thanks again for the input Jerry!
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
JP4VPI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Caroline County Va
Posts: 314
Make sure you have a fluid pump or some type of bottle pump in order to put the fluid back in. There's not much room to pour a bottle Also no need to drop skid plate.
JP4VPI is online now   Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4VPI
Make sure you have a fluid pump or some type of bottle pump in order to put the fluid back in. There's not much room to pour a bottle Also no need to drop skid plate.
Gonna pick that up at NAPA tomorrow! Thanks
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
One last question. How many quarts do I buy?
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
BigDeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 593
Buy 4. Useful website here Common TJ Maintenance Info
__________________
'99 TJ Chili Pepper Red SOLD
'13 JKU Rubicon Billet SOLD
BigDeaner is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
TLATEOTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 762
Send a message via MSN to TLATEOTW
it says 4.2 pints, that will be around 2 quarts
__________________
He who digs a hole and scoops it out falls into the pit he has made..............and if he has lockers he can simply get out of it!
-Mike T
TLATEOTW is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
JP4VPI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Caroline County Va
Posts: 314
Yep 2 quarts is about what it takes. I ordered 3 quarts of redline Mtl that way I would have extra in case of spills, leaks and an oops factor.
JP4VPI is online now   Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Alright will do guys thanks! Ill go ahead and buy 3 just in case
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
jasonduke5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Williamsport P>A
Posts: 434
jasonduke5 is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonduke5
I am going to change the fluid today if napa has the royal purple. If that doesn't work, ill get the clutch replaced. Thanks!
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
King_Aragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hell Paso
Posts: 265
Well my problem seems to continue, although I am glad I replaced it! The old fluid I took out filled up not even a quart! I filled up with 2 quarts and a tad of a 3rd because I had a little spillage, with the plastic pan under of course. I will say this I can find the gears easier and more smoothly than before I changed it. So time to see if clutch is the problem!
King_Aragon is offline   Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Jfrohock3437's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
My 2001 also grinds when downshifting however it's way more prevalent from 2nd into 1st. And all but goes away when the engine heats up. Is that a clue and what's it mean?
Jfrohock3437 is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Jfrohock3437's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
What weight are you guys using for the redline MTL?

Jfrohock3437 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC