Getting Doors Off - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
DeeJayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 82
Getting Doors Off

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to this forum and Jeeps in general but I've been here about a week and have seen a few different threads on getting doors on and off, they all have awesome tips and tricks but I was thinking maybe a mod could make a sticky so all the ideas are in the same place? Whatcha think?

__________________
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport which happens to be stock for now...
DeeJayy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
tbensor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,145
Lot's of threads on this topic as you have found. A sticky wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion.

Loot at this thread in the sticky section:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/writ...tos-87661.html

Send a pm to the Moderator.

__________________
My Toys
2003 RED Jeep Wrangler X - Can't stop adding stuff and updating.
2014 White Jeep Liberty Sport
2011 Carbon Black GMC Yukon Denali
2007 Black GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Laredo 284BHS TT
tbensor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
06GoldenEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: bergen county, nj
Posts: 846
easiest way is a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 on its thin edge along the bottom of the door and a pump jack lifting it in a position that is closest to the door pins. penetrating oil of your choice, set sit a little, swing the doors a little set wood and jack up then slowly pump the jack, key is getting the door to lift straight up, thats why closest the pins will produce that vs it jacking up cockeyed near the middle and not freeing up, more likely damaging the door. should only take a couple pumps and the pins should slide free. then a good antiseize on them, swing the door a little and good to go for future.
__________________
Bergen county, NJ
06GoldenEagle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Smitty03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GoldenEagle
easiest way is a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 on its thin edge along the bottom of the door and a pump jack lifting it in a position that is closest to the door pins. penetrating oil of your choice, set sit a little, swing the doors a little set wood and jack up then slowly pump the jack, key is getting the door to lift straight up, thats why closest the pins will produce that vs it jacking up cockeyed near the middle and not freeing up, more likely damaging the door. should only take a couple pumps and the pins should slide free. then a good antiseize on them, swing the door a little and good to go for future.
Exactly what I did but used a motorcycle jack.
Smitty03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Crestview, FL
Posts: 325
I used PB blaster and my 190 pound teenage son, both worked well but the PB blaster eats less.
__________________
The Air Force FINALLY sent me back home to Florida. Ahhhh, Emerald Coast sugar sand.
Bone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
JPetru82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vallejo, Ca.
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GoldenEagle
easiest way is a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 on its thin edge along the bottom of the door and a pump jack lifting it in a position that is closest to the door pins. penetrating oil of your choice, set sit a little, swing the doors a little set wood and jack up then slowly pump the jack, key is getting the door to lift straight up, thats why closest the pins will produce that vs it jacking up cockeyed near the middle and not freeing up, more likely damaging the door. should only take a couple pumps and the pins should slide free. then a good antiseize on them, swing the door a little and good to go for future.
easier way is to just undo the bolts and
lift the door off. It's not that heavy.
JPetru82 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 5,313
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPetru82 View Post
easier way is to just undo the bolts and
lift the door off. It's not that heavy.
The problem is not that it is heavy. It's that if they have never been off, they may be stuck in the hinge and do not come out easly. Once you get them out and lube up the pins, they will come out.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
JPetru82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vallejo, Ca.
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F.

The problem is not that it is heavy. It's that if they have never been off, they may be stuck in the hinge and do not come out easly. Once you get them out and lube up the pins, they will come out.
I have a 2001 TJ, took my doors off for the first time last weekend. Didn't have any issues with it. looks like I just got lucky!
JPetru82 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
RockHound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ogden Utah(4.5 hours from Moab)
Posts: 92
If you swing the door back and forth while lifting it should work also
RockHound is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk, Va
Posts: 23
Once off, put some white lithium grease on the pins and holder.
johnnyleo11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
3pedalpusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GoldenEagle View Post
easiest way is a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 on its thin edge along the bottom of the door and a pump jack lifting it in a position that is closest to the door pins. penetrating oil of your choice, set sit a little, swing the doors a little set wood and jack up then slowly pump the jack, key is getting the door to lift straight up, thats why closest the pins will produce that vs it jacking up cockeyed near the middle and not freeing up, more likely damaging the door. should only take a couple pumps and the pins should slide free. then a good antiseize on them, swing the door a little and good to go for future.
Mine were REALLY stuck. After pumping the jack up with the 2X4 under the long edge of the door, i hed to step into the Jeep and bounce a little bit. The doors were so stuck that the body was getting jacked up with the doors! But they're off now and tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70's!!!!
3pedalpusher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Jonny15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dover, New Hampshire
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHound
If you swing the door back and forth while lifting it should work also
X2 move it back a forth while lifting it up, use some pb or wd-40 too.
Jonny15 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
DeeJayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 82
Alot of great tips so far. I need a day off where I can get out and mess with the Jeep. My doors are stuck so I'm going to try some of this lol, if all else fails I like the jack idea.
DeeJayy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Westbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 299
Also, if you have to take the nuts off the bottom of the pins don't be worried about the pin breaking off with the nut, happened to me and I think it happens to lots of us, no need for the nuts anyways.
Westbrook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Phobos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Koppel
Posts: 646
Mine were froze.. I purchased it used so I have no idea if they have been off for 4 years.. I had to remove the door from the hinges and pound the hinges up with a punch and BFH... I wasn't happy.. Cleaned up the pins and purchased new bushing..
__________________
2008 Wrangler X
2004 Grand Cherokee Limited
1997 Grand Cherokee Larado (retired)
1999 Wrangler Sport (sold)

Ken
Phobos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
territt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone
I used PB blaster and my 190 pound teenage son, both worked well but the PB blaster eats less.
I don't know what i would do without PB Blaster.
territt13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Once Far Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Goshen, NY
Posts: 179
Took the doors off my 98 TJ for the first time ever (I'm a the new owner). After reading a couple of threads on this I figured I'd start with the 'liberal use of PB blaster' and lift while wiggling method and it worked out fine. A little elbow grease and they came right off. A little white lithium grease in the hinges once they were off and the went right back in later...
Once Far Off is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
shabumbleflop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bowling Green
Posts: 27
I've been trying for 2 weeks. Tried them all but the jack. The mechanic at work couldnt even get them off. I think I am going to take it to a Jeep Dealer tomorrow to see if they can help me.
shabumbleflop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Pontiackid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: downingtown pa
Posts: 661
Lol not that hard to do.. if you can turn a wrench you can remove a door.
__________________
2000 wrangler
06 Pontiac solstice
84 IMSA fiero
2002 300M special
Pontiackid87 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
Show Me Your 8008135!

WF Supporting Member
 
s3nt3nc3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via AIM to s3nt3nc3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pedalpusher View Post
Mine were REALLY stuck. After pumping the jack up with the 2X4 under the long edge of the door, i hed to step into the Jeep and bounce a little bit. The doors were so stuck that the body was getting jacked up with the doors! But they're off now and tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70's!!!!
This^

Sometimes those suckers are REALLY stuck on there...I am fairly heavyset and I had all my weight on those things swinging them back and forth, soaking and resoaking with PB Blaster, etc. I broke down and used a floor jack...and just like above, it started jacking the body up too. I had to bounce on the body before the hinges broke free. Now they pop right on/off and I just keep the hinges greased.

If you use the floorjack method, MAKE SURE you have a helper there to catch the door when it pops out because it will pop out fast and the door is heavy enough you'll hurt yourself or ding your Jeep trying to do a one arm catch when it pops out by surprise. I speak from experience there.

Also, if you have a roommate like me who apparently doesn't understand the concept of controlling where he shoots the grass while he's mowing...make sure you store the doors inside a garage or a shed and not outside against the garage (I wouldn't recommend this anyway if you live in a populated area as those doors are NOT cheap and people love to steal em for a quick $1000). I came home tonight to find originally wet grass dried all over my doors...inside and out. Payback will be a bitch.
__________________
"We don't build great brakes because we think you don't know how to drive, we build them for the guy on the road in front of you that doesn't." - Black Magic Brakes
s3nt3nc3d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabumbleflop View Post
I've been trying for 2 weeks. Tried them all but the jack. The mechanic at work couldnt even get them off. I think I am going to take it to a Jeep Dealer tomorrow to see if they can help me.
I first tried soaking with PB Blast and then wiggling back and forth while having myself and my 200 lb son pulling upwards. No luck. Then tried the jack and 2x4 and was successful in jacking up the entire side of my Jeep. Finally got medieval with a big hammer and a punch. Great success! Just make sure that your punch is centered.
glock17 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
Newb
 
yellowrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3
I've had the Jeep for a month and I still can't get my driver side door off. The passenger side was tough, but with lots of PB blaster and effort it finally came off. The previous owner never took them off... (and somehow thought that was a good selling point???)

I think the pin in the lower hinge in the driver side is possibly broken? It doesn't turn with the door, instead it appears to be rusted to the part of the hinge attached to the body. We even tried using a hammer to try and drive the pin out. It started to crack the paint around the hinge, as if it was moving the whole hinge up so we stopped.

Has anyone else had this happen? What are my options?
yellowrose is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose
I've had the Jeep for a month and I still can't get my driver side door off. The passenger side was tough, but with lots of PB blaster and effort it finally came off. The previous owner never took them off... (and somehow thought that was a good selling point???)

I think the pin in the lower hinge in the driver side is possibly broken? It doesn't turn with the door, instead it appears to be rusted to the part of the hinge attached to the body. We even tried using a hammer to try and drive the pin out. It started to crack the paint around the hinge, as if it was moving the whole hinge up so we stopped.

Has anyone else had this happen? What are my options?
Use a floor jack with a block of wood and lift the door off with that, then hit the pin with a hammer to remove it, if it is broken.
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Bredle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19
I second swinging the doors as you pull up from the bottom. When I got my 2000 TJ last year and it took me putting lots of WD40 on the pins/around the pin joint while lifting, and swinging back and forth. Once I got them off I keep a little WD40 on them when putting back in, and have had no problems since.
Bredle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
local15Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Meadow,Long Island
Posts: 351
My father always told me to keep my pin lubed,and you wont have any problems.That advise always heald true.
local15Rob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Superkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by local15Rob
My father always told me to keep my pin lubed,and you wont have any problems.That advise always heald true.
Haha great advice! Don't go stickin nothin in anywhere without some lube!
Superkill is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
devildog330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Rutherfird,N.J.
Posts: 114
Images: 2
the Best ASVICE I've Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d View Post
This^

Sometimes those suckers are REALLY stuck on there...I am fairly heavyset and I had all my weight on those things swinging them back and forth, soaking and resoaking with PB Blaster, etc. I broke down and used a floor jack...and just like above, it started jacking the body up too. I had to bounce on the body before the hinges broke free. Now they pop right on/off and I just keep the hinges greased.

If you use the floorjack method, MAKE SURE you have a helper there to catch the door when it pops out because it will pop out fast and the door is heavy enough you'll hurt yourself or ding your Jeep trying to do a one arm catch when it pops out by surprise. I speak from experience there.

Also, if you have a roommate like me who apparently doesn't understand the concept of controlling where he shoots the grass while he's mowing...make sure you store the doors inside a garage or a shed and not outside against the garage (I wouldn't recommend this anyway if you live in a populated area as those doors are NOT cheap and people love to steal em for a quick $1000). I came home tonight to find originally wet grass dried all over my doors...inside and out. Payback will be a bitch.
this is the best advice yet.. Those stuck doors under pressure of a jack are really going to pop up at least two to three inches before falling and causing damage either to themselves or the dumb guy thats in the way. IE: bent doors and broken toes
__________________
Better to ask forgiveness then to ask permission and be denied
devildog330 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
DeeJayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 82
I'm sure everyone knows this but make sure your nylon strap is taken off the hook, needless to say i felt like an idiot, just trying to say when you're excited to get your doors off don't forget this essential step
__________________
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport which happens to be stock for now...
DeeJayy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
DeeJayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkill View Post
Haha great advice! Don't go stickin nothin in anywhere without some lube!
x2
__________________
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport which happens to be stock for now...
DeeJayy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
CMEvans79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Granite City, IL
Posts: 3,391
Once I got the doors off in my TJ I never put the bolts back on! I could pop those things off/on in a moments notice... people always asked if I thought they would get stolen and my response was "If they want the doors, they are coming off anyway, and they are probably a "Jeep" person to know about how to get the doors off so... nobody will steal them."

__________________
CMEvans79 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spartan Lockers Available Dana 30, 35, 44, 44HD, 60, Ford 8.8 Free Shipping, 15% off Baseline 4x4 Outfitters Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 153 11-29-2012 06:30 AM
Let's See 2 Doors, Topless, Bikinis OK!! 07XMan2Door Pictures Forum 145 04-16-2012 07:05 PM
new wheels and tube doors!! towerofpower84 TJ General Discussion Forum 6 03-06-2012 11:38 PM
Doors won't budge GNS1310 TJ General Discussion Forum 14 03-06-2012 09:48 PM
TJ tube doors wanted NorthwestTJ TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-06-2012 06:58 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC