Going to 8" wheels ... need to change backspacing? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Steve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 389
Going to 8" wheels ... need to change backspacing?

Tomorrow I'm going to order new wheels and tires for the TJ. I'm running stock 7" steel wheels with 5.5" backspacing and 235/15 tires.

I'm going to get 8" wheels and 30/9.50-15 tires. Should I reduce the backspacing (perhaps go to 5") since I'm going to a wider wheel? That would "seem" like the proper thing to do as the wheels will be farther under the fenders and closer to the undercarriage. I like the looks of the wider wheel and I'm not going to be running low air pressures.

Thoughts and opinions?

__________________
Just plain 'ole Steve.
Steve305 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oshkosh
Posts: 36
Images: 3
I have 16X8 and I have a +10 I believe I run a 285/75/16

Quest4life is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
jasongind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Mile High City
Posts: 735
I have 17x8" wheels with 3.75" back spacing & run 35x12.50 tires. I'm going too get new wheels (bead locks) this spring that have a 4.25" back spacing. The 3.75" just isn't enough. When aired down and turning The tire lugs can snag The brake line that is bolted to The frame and break it, causing you too lose breaks. This happened to me coming down a 8/10 rated trail in The mountains. I still had over 3 miles off trail left, over 3,200 vertical feet too descend, & 3 obstaclestoo deal with, all with no breaks. I was able too do it by modulating The e-break & 4-low, but that is something you don't want to have to do, ever, LOL.
__________________
Teraflex 4" Long Arm Kit, Teraflex 1" Body Lift, M.O.R.E. 1" MML, Teraflex Belly-Up Kit, Rock Crawler 17" Wheels, 35" Toyo Open Country's, Uniden Cb, 2' Firestick Antenna
jasongind is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Steve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongind View Post
I have 17x8" wheels with 3.75" back spacing & run 35x12.50 tires. I'm going too get new wheels (bead locks) this spring that have a 4.25" back spacing. The 3.75" just isn't enough. When aired down and turning The tire lugs can snag The brake line that is bolted to The frame
You might want to re-think that.

Going to MORE backspacing will bring the wheel/tire CLOSER to the frame. Sounds like you need to move the wheel/tire OUT.
__________________
Just plain 'ole Steve.
Steve305 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Big Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lafayette Hill, PA
Posts: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve305 View Post
Tomorrow I'm going to order new wheels and tires for the TJ. I'm running stock 7" steel wheels with 5.5" backspacing and 235/15 tires.

I'm going to get 8" wheels and 30/9.50-15 tires. Should I reduce the backspacing (perhaps go to 5") since I'm going to a wider wheel? That would "seem" like the proper thing to do as the wheels will be farther under the fenders and closer to the undercarriage. I like the looks of the wider wheel and I'm not going to be running low air pressures.

Thoughts and opinions?
8" wide wheel is not appropriate for those tires. 8" wide wheels are commonly used on 12.5" tires not 9.5".
Big Cole is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Virus692's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 553
Send a message via AIM to Virus692 Send a message via Yahoo to Virus692
I would like to see a jeep with 8" wheels it would be like a funny power wheels.
Virus692 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
TJMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paducah, KY
Posts: 199
Steve305, the factory Canyon wheels that came with the 30-inch tire and wheel package are 15x8 with either 5 or 5.5 inch backspacing. They came with 30x9.50 tires, but 31x10.50 will fit also. I had a '99, and now have a '00, both with the 8-inch Canyons. The higher backspacing keeps the tires inside the flares better, and some people, like me, experience no rubbing at all, while others need to put washers behind the steering stops to prevent rubbing at full lock. Most after-market wheels have less backspacing, usually between 3.5 and 4.75 inches, which gives a wider stance, but might rub the flares on a stock height TJ.
TJMichael is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Steve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMichael View Post
Steve305, the factory Canyon wheels that came with the 30-inch tire and wheel package are 15x8 with either 5 or 5.5 inch backspacing. They came with 30x9.50 tires, but 31x10.50 will fit also. I had a '99, and now have a '00, both with the 8-inch Canyons. The higher backspacing keeps the tires inside the flares better, and some people, like me, experience no rubbing at all, while others need to put washers behind the steering stops to prevent rubbing at full lock. Most after-market wheels have less backspacing, usually between 3.5 and 4.75 inches, which gives a wider stance, but might rub the flares on a stock height TJ.
Thanks for the info. I'll go with 5" backspacing.

VIRUS692 & BIG COLE, you guys must have never seen a set of Canyon wheels? Maybe someone should have told Jeep about that before they offered several different versions of 8" wheels as factory equipment on 30" tires. I wasn't asking about "appropriate" or your opinion on "looks", just wanted thoughts and opinions on the backspacing.
__________________
Just plain 'ole Steve.
Steve305 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Jeeponator

WF Supporting Member
 
Michigunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus692 View Post
I would like to see a jeep with 8" wheels it would be like a funny power wheels.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic....as in 8" diameter wheels. Gotta admit that would look pretty ...... different.
__________________
Michigunman

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Michigunman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Steve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigunman View Post
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic....as in 8" diameter wheels. Gotta admit that would look pretty ...... different.
Well in that case, please forgive me. My "imagination" isn't that big.
__________________
Just plain 'ole Steve.
Steve305 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
TJMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paducah, KY
Posts: 199
Steve305, that will be fine as long as you don't plan on going bigger than 10.5 inch wide tires. As others have said, 8-inch wide wheels are good for tires up to 12.5 inches wide. The lower backspacing would be necessary for 32x11.50 or 33x12.50 tires, or you would need to use wheel spacers. That's one of the reasons I haven't lifted my Jeep yet, because I really like my factory wheels and I also dread the added expense of re-gearing. Good luck with whatever wheel and tire combination you wind up deciding on! Post pictures later!
TJMichael is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Virus692's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 553
Send a message via AIM to Virus692 Send a message via Yahoo to Virus692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigunman View Post

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic....as in 8" diameter wheels. Gotta admit that would look pretty ...... different.
Winner.... My dry wit doth not play on the interwebs.
Virus692 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Steve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus692 View Post
Winner.... My dry wit doth not play on the interwebs.
That's the reason they provide these:

They go a long way towards conveying your thoughts and intentions.
__________________
Just plain 'ole Steve.
Steve305 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Virus692's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 553
Send a message via AIM to Virus692 Send a message via Yahoo to Virus692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve305 View Post

That's the reason they provide these:

They go a long way towards conveying your thoughts and intentions.
Have issues useing with android app... Sorry
Virus692 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
TJMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paducah, KY
Posts: 199
I guess I am showing my age here, but I have a couple of questions about this thread and others that I have been wondering about for a long time. I know what a lot of the things like and mean, but what do , , and :unk: mean, and where do you get the little yellow faces that go with some of them? Most of the time I am viewing the forum on my phone as opposed to our PC if that makes a difference. I hope these questions don't sound too stupid, but I don't remember reading anything about them when I joined the forum. I truly enjoy reading about everyone's Jeeps on here, and am thankful that there are so many owners on here willing to share their knowledge and experience to help other "Jeep addicts"!
TJMichael is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
jasongind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Mile High City
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve305 View Post

You might want to re-think that.

Going to MORE backspacing will bring the wheel/tire CLOSER to the frame. Sounds like you need to move the wheel/tire OUT.
Ah, I completely messed that up, guess thats what I guess for posting with my phone LOL. I have 4" & want too go to 3.25". That looks & sounds better lol
__________________
Teraflex 4" Long Arm Kit, Teraflex 1" Body Lift, M.O.R.E. 1" MML, Teraflex Belly-Up Kit, Rock Crawler 17" Wheels, 35" Toyo Open Country's, Uniden Cb, 2' Firestick Antenna
jasongind is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,745
Images: 2
3.25" will cause your wheels to stick out much further than most would like. To me, that little amount of backspacing on Jeep wheels would remind me of a skateboard. If your tire lugs are snagging your brake lines, I'd figure out why... like did someone install longer brake lines? Rarely are longer brake lines needed than what the factory installed. But if longer brake lines were in fact needed, it usually only takes a small coil spring to hold them out of the way.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Steve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 389
TJMichael, I can understand if you are using a phone to post with ... all I ever do is talk on mine.

On a "computer", if you hold your mouse pointer on the "emoticon", it will pop up a little window to tell you the meaning. Such as, sarcastic, smiling, rolls-eyes, etc.
__________________
Just plain 'ole Steve.
Steve305 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
TJMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paducah, KY
Posts: 199
Thanks, Steve! I will check things out on our home PC when I get a chance. Have you ordered your wheels and tires yet?
TJMichael is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Steve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMichael View Post
Thanks, Steve! I will check things out on our home PC when I get a chance. Have you ordered your wheels and tires yet?
No, I had a "change of plans".....

Some things around the dock and house needed to be done and paid for, so I just decided to leave the factory steelies on and put new tires on them. I bought a set of BF Goodrich A/T in 235/75-15 and am going to run them on these wheels for the immediate future. Later on I'll go with larger tires/wheels. These will get me by in the winter weather and the little amount of trail riding that we do.

The little 2.5 does great with these smaller tires, and I'm not a hard-core off-roader anyway.
__________________
Just plain 'ole Steve.
Steve305 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
TJMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paducah, KY
Posts: 199
I have my plans changed all the time, too! With a daughter in college, it is hard to plan ahead anyway. I will need new tires in the next few months, and will probably go with 31's again. I'm not a hard-core off-roader either, but maybe some day I can move up to 33's and find some friends to wheel with. I live pretty close to Turkey Bay in LBL, and that is a great wheeling spot. Good luck with all your projects, Steve!
TJMichael is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Steve305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMichael View Post
I have my plans changed all the time, too! With a daughter in college, it is hard to plan ahead anyway.
I have an 18 year old son who is starting college next year ...... our financial "fun" is just beginning.

On the other hand, it will be only me & the wife in the house after that. Our imaginations are running wild .....

I spent a lot of time at LBL many years ago deer hunting. One of my favorite places. Lots of great scenery.
__________________
Just plain 'ole Steve.
Steve305 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
TJMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Paducah, KY
Posts: 199
Maybe we will meet on the trail some time after our kids get out of college. I will be officially retired in 974 more days (not that I'm counting or anything), and it will be great to have some time to do some things I really want to do (if there is any money left).
TJMichael is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: THE NORTH POLE
Posts: 3,818
3.75 back spacing works good with 8 inch wheels and 31x10.5x15s
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
jasongind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Mile High City
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
3.25" will cause your wheels to stick out much further than most would like. To me, that little amount of backspacing on Jeep wheels would remind me of a skateboard. If your tire lugs are snagging your brake lines, I'd figure out why... like did someone install longer brake lines? Rarely are longer brake lines needed than what the factory installed. But if longer brake lines were in fact needed, it usually only takes a small coil spring to hold them out of the way.
It was the factory brake line that got snagged. I talked to a few shops in my area & each said it was a problem on quiet a few TJ's. It only happens when aired down around 9psi, turning hard left, while The right side off The Jeep is higher. This allows The load too shift to The front right & "push" The wheel since there is a lot of side wall flex. Each said just too reroute my brake line.

__________________
Teraflex 4" Long Arm Kit, Teraflex 1" Body Lift, M.O.R.E. 1" MML, Teraflex Belly-Up Kit, Rock Crawler 17" Wheels, 35" Toyo Open Country's, Uniden Cb, 2' Firestick Antenna
jasongind is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC