Goodbye, TJ forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Green Bay TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 360
Goodbye, TJ forum

I totalled my TJ last September, bought a JKU in October. Just wanted to say goodbye to the TJ forum and thanks for all the help I got here. Really learned a lot here. I never felt stupid or was flamed for my newb questions, I really appreciate that. I'll be heading over to the JK forum, will be keeping the same username, hope they don't mind over there.

Cheers
Jeff

Green Bay TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Vroooom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sin-Tex
Posts: 1,674
Welcome to the Dark Sider

Buwahahahaaaaa

__________________
Threads wander aimlessly....always refer back to post #1
2012 Black Unlimited Sahara (mine)
2011 Black Corvette 3LT (wife's)
2005 Black Suzuki C50T (ours)
"Hope" is NOT a strategy
Vroooom is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,438
You'll be back. You'll get tired of driving a mini van.
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Green Bay TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 360
More like school bus. But I knew that when I bought it. I'm really going to miss the torquey, bullet-proof I6 engine.
Green Bay TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,870
Sorry to hear about your TJ.

Enjoy the new Trail Cow.
TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: City of New York
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJspeed View Post
You'll be back. You'll get tired of driving a mini van.
That's funny. Last August when I bought my 98 TJ, My neighbor who has the new 4-door snowman? edition was trying to talk me into getting one of the newer models. He couldn't understand that I wanted a real Jeep. I do not see the newer JKs as honest, true-to-form Jeeps. Jeeps to me are NOT supposed to be fully finished, luxury interiors, loaded with power options and tufted leather seats. As far as I'm concerned, Jeeps should be basic, rudimentary, rugged, metal trucks. To be honest I would have much preferred a YJ, But they are little hard to find in good, original condition.

And the 4-door, to me is just a complete abomination.

No offense to any JK owners or fans, It's just my probably ill-informed opinion.
Kewrock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Green Bay TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewrock View Post
That's funny. Last August when I bought my 98 TJ, My neighbor who has the new 4-door snowman? edition was trying to talk me into getting one of the newer models. He couldn't understand that I wanted a real Jeep. I do not see the newer JKs as honest, true-to-form Jeeps. Jeeps to me are NOT supposed to be fully finished, luxury interiors, loaded with power options and tufted leather seats. As far as I'm concerned, Jeeps should be basic, rudimentary, rugged, metal trucks. To be honest I would have much preferred a YJ, But they are little hard to find in good, original condition.

And the 4-door, to me is just a complete abomination.

No offense to any JK owners or fans, It's just my probably ill-informed opinion.
I don't think it is an ill-informed opinion. I used to ridicule the JKU as a soccer-mom Jeep. But after I rolled my Jeep, the rear seat came out, and my wife ended up on the pavement (everyone is OK, she had a concussion and required 3 stiches in her head), I decided I would never own another vehicle where the rear seat is removable. So enter the soccer-mom JKU. I got a Sport because I was at least going to retain the pleasure of being able to roll up the windows myself, and all leather interior only belongs in a Grand Cherokee. Funny, my 2000 TJ Sahara was the high-end luxury version of the Wrangler fleet when I bought it, and there were other forums where it was ridiculed as a Barbie Jeep. My basic JKU Sport has more luxury features than my TJ Sahara had. If I every get another TJ, it will probably end up converted to a Brute pickup, since the removable back seat is useless to me now.
Green Bay TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, Jeeps should be basic, rudimentary, rugged, metal trucks.

Exactly. Which is why I still don't consider a TJ a "real Jeep".
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: City of New York
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bay TJ View Post
I don't think it is an ill-informed opinion. I used to ridicule the JKU as a soccer-mom Jeep. But after I rolled my Jeep, the rear seat came out, and my wife ended up on the pavement (everyone is OK, she had a concussion and required 3 stiches in her head), I decided I would never own another vehicle where the rear seat is removable. So enter the soccer-mom JKU. I got a Sport because I was at least going to retain the pleasure of being able to roll up the windows myself, and all leather interior only belongs in a Grand Cherokee. Funny, my 2000 TJ Sahara was the high-end luxury version of the Wrangler fleet when I bought it, and there were other forums where it was ridiculed as a Barbie Jeep. My basic JKU Sport has more luxury features than my TJ Sahara had. If I every get another TJ, it will probably end up converted to a Brute pickup, since the removable back seat is useless to me now.
Glad everyone's OK. Jeeps were never really known for safety. But even the safest Minivan on the market Ford Windstar has removable 2nd and 3rd row seats. Most minivans and SUVs have removable seats. And in some cases the seatbelts are actually attached to the seat itself, as opposed to the frame of the car. Jeep rear belts are bolted to the rollbar, through the seat and into the floor. It should be safe(with the exception of having a thin piece vinyl between you and the outside).

Good luck, At least you got the 2-door. And some piece of mind.
Kewrock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: City of New York
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
Exactly. Which is why I still don't consider a TJ a "real Jeep".
Yeah. Agreed. But after searching all summer, I got what I could find.
Kewrock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
ninjaturtle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 920
I would def prefer a tj or yj as I'm not a fan of the JK but hey it's a Jeep, i still wave and JKs have made new Jeep fans with the more bells and whistles. Look on the brighter side as the person who is in the JK could of got something else but no chose a Wrangler.
__________________


/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ninjaturtle0 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
lovethetrails5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: orange county ca
Posts: 468
If you get tired of it ill trade you for my tj lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130127_121909.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	202473

Girl not included hahah
lovethetrails5 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewrock View Post
Yeah. Agreed. But after searching all summer, I got what I could find.
I had several "real Jeeps". 4 to be exact. A '70, two '71's, and my 15 year daily driver/ passion "project" '67. I just wanted something different, and the TJ is working out nicely..

Ah, the TJ is a "Jeep". Says right on it. It's just evolved..
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Green Bay TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewrock View Post
Glad everyone's OK. Jeeps were never really known for safety. But even the safest Minivan on the market Ford Windstar has removable 2nd and 3rd row seats. Most minivans and SUVs have removable seats. And in some cases the seatbelts are actually attached to the seat itself, as opposed to the frame of the car. Jeep rear belts are bolted to the rollbar, through the seat and into the floor. It should be safe(with the exception of having a thin piece vinyl between you and the outside).

Good luck, At least you got the 2-door. And some piece of mind.
Actually JKU is 4 door. JK is 2 door. Got rid of the mini van when I got the new jeep. But our minvan did not have removable seats, just ones that folded down.
Green Bay TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
GlocksandJeeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stanislaus County
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H

Exactly. Which is why I still don't consider a TJ a "real Jeep".
Ouch
GlocksandJeeps is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
DetroitRodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 374
Hmm fake jeeps? Interesting.
DetroitRodeo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Ouch
Quote:
Hmm fake jeeps? Interesting.
Then I said
Quote:
Ah, the TJ is a "Jeep". Says right on it. It's just evolved..
Settle down fellas..
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
DetroitRodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 374
You know us, jeeps are like our children lol
DetroitRodeo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Gunner 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
As far as I am concerned all the wranglers are real jeeps. They are just evolving into Something further and further from what the were originally intended to be. I wonder what the vets who drove the Willy's thru Germany would think of the JKU. They are still very capable in stock format, but they have gotten so fancy I would be afraid to take the top of and have it pour.
Gunner 13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
Jeeponator

WF Supporting Member
 
Michigunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,234
To the OP. Enjoy your new JEEP! I wheel with some awesome Jk and JKU's in my TJ. Most capable Jeep off the floor to date, regardless of what people say.
__________________
Michigunman

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Michigunman is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 149
I have both a JKU and a TJ and like someone said in another thread- you never own a "real" Jeep until a new model comes out! Haha- they are all Jeeps and they ALL kick ass! Enjoy them.
cervelo101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Gunner 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Well I wouldn't go that far. Yes all wranglers are. However in the last twenty years there in my eyes , have been only two "REAL" jeeps. The Wrangler and the XJ Cherokee. Everything else is just fluff. The GC serves its purpose and is the only"SUV" I would consider owning for luxury. But it isn't purpose built like the other two.
Gunner 13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner 13 View Post
Well I wouldn't go that far. Yes all wranglers are. However in the last twenty years there in my eyes , have been only two "REAL" jeeps. The Wrangler and the XJ Cherokee. Everything else is just fluff. The GC serves its purpose and is the only"SUV" I would consider owning for luxury. But it isn't purpose built like the other two.
I meant all Jeep Wranglers
cervelo101 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJspeed View Post
You'll be back. You'll get tired of driving a mini van.
You'll get tired of driving a hummer look a like.
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
GingerTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,526
Something tells me that some JK's are real jeeps..

Maybe they just need a bit more help being cool




__________________
4" BDS springs, zone nitro shocks, rubicon express track bar, Currie tie rod, 1" Rokmen bl, 1" JKS mml, AA Sye/cv conversion, Black Magic Brakes, JKS upper adjustable arms, 4.88 regear, 27 spline chromeolly shafts, 35x12.5x15 GG's on ion's 174, rhino lined tub, boat cannon stereo, rock hard harness bar, Led Windshield Light bar
GingerTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #26
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerTJ View Post
Something tells me that some JK's are real jeeps.. Maybe they just need a bit more help being cool
Umm where's the Jeep? I see a mini van...LOL j/k
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,505
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspeed View Post
you'll be back. You'll get tired of driving a mini van.
lmao!
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,505
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
I had several "real Jeeps". 4 to be exact. A '70, two '71's, and my 15 year daily driver/ passion "project" '67. I just wanted something different, and the TJ is working out nicely..

Ah, the TJ is a "Jeep". Says right on it. It's just evolved..
Just like men that came out of the caves. Jeeps too have evolved. But, they're still men and Jeeps. Just better than their predecessors. At least until they started making them for soccer moms.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #29
2.5L SYMPATHIZER

WF Supporting Member
 
W5KVV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: S.E. Oklahoma
Posts: 824
Here's how I see it: "Real" or "old school" Jeeps ended in 1995. The YJ's were the last of the re badged AMC Jeeps. In 97, Chrysler had filtered out a lot of the AMC components & replaced them with pentastar stuff. In 07 all traces of the old Jeeps were gone, less the D30/35/44 diffs.

I love the simplicity of the leaf sprung Jeeps. But that's just my preference. I'm not hating on the TJ's or the JK's. Not in any way. I have seen badass TJ's, badass JK's & they have my full respect.

The main thing is, drive what makes you happy. I'm happiest behind the wheel of a YJ.
__________________
1995 Rio Grande - 4"RC - 1/2"booms - 33's - 4:88's - 1"MML -
Belly up/302/NP435/NP208/8.8 swap about to start
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...g?t=1411201524
W5KVV is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
MarkGLHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ellington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5KVV View Post
I'm happiest behind the wheel of a YJ.

yes but what about those rectangular headlights? it's just wrong.

__________________
2002 Wrangler Sahara, all stock, 5-speed, Dana 44, duel tan tops, 2nd owner.

2008 Hemi Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, Quadradrive II, original owner, 22,000 miles.
MarkGLHS is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC