Got a new Jeep now upgrade time - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Got a new Jeep now upgrade time

Just got a 2000 jeep wrangler 4cyl 5 speed (got it really cheap)

I'm looking at doing a motor swap because the 4 cylinder is like hamsters on a treadmill

from what I have been reading the stock 5 speed is really week (can it handle anymore power)

or should I grab a tranny out of a 4.0 (it will bolt right up to the t-case?)

I have decided 90% toward the 3.9 cummins the other 10% is leaning to a small isuzu diesel engine

I havn't found any write ups on the cummins (if anyone could point me in a direction that would be great) but I have a machine shop and a design background so I know I will get it in but the question what will hold me up time or money

Thanks for your help guys

jtracer113 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
J33P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ND
Posts: 229
Sorry I don't know too much about the 4.0 trannys, but if you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for? I'm wondering if I basicly stole mine.

J33P is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
jdhallissey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gurnee,IL
Posts: 5,104
Send a message via AIM to jdhallissey
^ jeep I got my 97 tj 4cycl with 85k on it for 5k out the door. soft top half doors.
jdhallissey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
jdhallissey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gurnee,IL
Posts: 5,104
Send a message via AIM to jdhallissey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtracer113 View Post
Just got a 2000 jeep wrangler 4cyl 5 speed (got it really cheap)

I'm looking at doing a motor swap because the 4 cylinder is like hamsters on a treadmill

from what I have been reading the stock 5 speed is really week (can it handle anymore power)

or should I grab a tranny out of a 4.0 (it will bolt right up to the t-case?)

I have decided 90% toward the 3.9 cummins the other 10% is leaning to a small isuzu diesel engine

I havn't found any write ups on the cummins (if anyone could point me in a direction that would be great) but I have a machine shop and a design background so I know I will get it in but the question what will hold me up time or money

Thanks for your help guys
To your questions- the stock tranny is well weak. If your going to do a motor swap take the entire motor, ie wiring harness and all. That will make your life that much easier along with the tranny. Try finding a truck that has a stick and you can just bolt that one in.
jdhallissey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
well 83,000 miles $3000
1 owner vehicle ( I have seen the jeep it's whole life)
jtracer113 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
J33P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ND
Posts: 229
Sorry to get back to you so late...but wow you really did steal that. I wonder if I got a bad deal on mine... 2000 with 145,000 4 cyl with soft top and full doors for 3800 Havent had a single problem with it in the 10,000 miles I've owned it and it doesnt burn a drop of oil.

J33P is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yj frame swap scooter18155 YJ Tech Forum 13 07-04-2008 02:15 PM
Upgrade Time!!!!! tazmann910 TJ General Discussion Forum 38 03-13-2008 10:27 AM
First Wrangler - 3rd Jeep!!! tritonman WF New Member Check In 10 09-28-2007 08:27 AM
First Time Jeep Owner MacKennon WF New Member Check In 11 10-18-2006 12:45 PM
Response from Jeep concerning Camp Jeep LimeTJ General Jeep Discussion 4 08-31-2006 08:08 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC