08-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch
Originally Posted by jgorm
- Get the jeep to operating temp
- drain the fluid and dispose of properly (some places its legal to dump donw your house drain)
- fill with tap water
- run the jeep for a few minutes until the upper hose is hot. Have the heater on full blast.
- Turn it off, and drain the fluid.
- Fill with tap water and get to operating temp again.
- By this point the fluid should be looking more like water. I usually drain it on the street at this time. Check your local laws first!
- Leave the engine running and open the petcock while you add hose water to the top of the radiator so it doesn't get lower.
- Do that unitl the fluid looks just like water.
- Shut it off and drain the water.
- Fill with DI / distilled water
- Run to temp with heater on full.
- drain and refil with 50:50 coolant mix, or mix it yourself and save $
- Sometimes I do 2 DI water flushes before I put the coolant back in.
That is an extremely long, complicated, and unnecessary procedure for flushing the system. Not to mention running the heater on full blast does absolutely nothing.
OP, drain the radiator, remove lower hose and heater hose connected to the water pump, shoot water into heater hose and watch it come out the lower rad hose.
Catch and dispose of all fluid. If your connected to city water/sewage it's a safe bet you can dispose of everything down the toilet. If you use a septic tank you'll have to take the fluid somewhere that will dispose of it properly.