Hard doors are off color? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 640
Question Hard doors are off color?

I got a set of full steel doors for Christmas, something that I've wonted to be able to say for forever. In winter those soft uppers just don't cut it. The doors were from a junkyard off a 97, that my uncle had gotten for his TJ and had them painted forest green. Well for whatever reason he decided he didn't like them and started trying to sell them, and my dad got them at the family discount. He used that discount to get them painted. Well actually he got the paint code off my jeep one day while I was at his house over Christmas, and gave it to my uncle, who had them painted by the same guy that painted them before. He had them ready for me when I drove back to town. The passenger side went on perfectly, while the drivers side had settled about half an inch, so we loosened the bracket and fixed, except now its a little too high and I'll have to fix it again, but it works perfectly fine. Its just that I'm ocd about my jeep. Sorry for the rambling, but the problem is this: the doors are a brighter yellow than my jeep. If its the same paint code, I can only imagine that one, my jeep has faded, or two, there was a slight problem when mixing the colors. Its not as noticeable in daylight as it is in the photo I'm gonna upload, but you can still see it. My dad suggested I wax the jeep and it'll make it look brighter, but I figured id ask on here. Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad I have them. You can't find these anywhere. But again, ocd. *note: the jeep was freshly washed in preparation for the new doors, so dirtiness isn't the issue.

Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
s14sh3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Clayton, OK
Posts: 2,049
Whoever owned the doors took them off during nice weather, so they haven't been exposed to the sun as much as the rest of the vehicle. It's pretty common.

s14sh3r is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 6,538
Ahhh, welcome to my world. Just because it was painted with the same "code" DOES NOT mean it will match. All vehicles are built in different plants which gives us " variants" in the paint world, plus the plethora of paint companies available also add into the equation. When us painters are given parts to paint without having access to the vehicle we choose the " Prime" color formula for that given color. The more chrysler/ jeep plants the more variants. It also has to do with what particular batch of paint the manufacturer used. Undercoats also play a role, especially in yellow. Grey undercoat, the yellow will have a green cast to it, etc. the only way to get it to match is to take it to a body shop and have them tint the color and blend into the quarters and front fenders. Live with it.
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 355
Have your Jeep detailed or do it yourself. Your paint has probably oxidized a little. I would do it with an orbital buffer, some cutting pads, and a few hours work.
clarkkent is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 640
Quote:
Ahhh, welcome to my world. Just because it was painted with the same "code" DOES NOT mean it will match. All vehicles are built in different plants which gives us " variants" in the paint world, plus the plethora of paint companies available also add into the equation. When us painters are given parts to paint without having access to the vehicle we choose the " Prime" color formula for that given color. The more chrysler/ jeep plants the more variants. It also has to do with what particular batch of paint the manufacturer used. Undercoats also play a role, especially in yellow. Grey undercoat, the yellow will have a green cast to it, etc. the only way to get it to match is to take it to a body shop and have them tint the color and blend into the quarters and front fenders. Live with it.
I figured it may be something along those lines. I guess if it was a darker color it wouldn't show up quite as easily as it does. Curiosity question: Which shade is more a representation of the true intended color? And does fading have anything to do with it?
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,700
Any good body shop will blend the new painted surface into the older areas especially on a vehicle that is older and the paint is not new.
__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 6,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_a914
I figured it may be something along those lines. I guess if it was a darker color it wouldn't show up quite as easily as it does. Curiosity question: Which shade is more a representation of the true intended color? And does fading have anything to do with it?
If it was darker it would look worse. As far as which shade is supposed to be the intended color is like asking" how long will my jeep last" who knows. Your jeep coulda been built in texarkana and the other one built in michigan. Yours coulda been built in the same plant but at the end of the year, ya follow. This is why there is " tint& blend" on every estimate. I might not be able to produce a perfect match, but if i blend the adjacent panels it creates an optical illusion of the perfect match.
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 6,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atthehop
Any good body shop will blend the new painted surface into the older areas especially on a vehicle that is older and the paint is not new.
They will if you pay for it. If joe blow comes in and wants his doors painted for his jeep but doesnt want to pay to blend adjacent panels and all the extra masking, guess what, im not gonna take it in the shorts and do it just for shits n gigs. Ill spend a little time tinting if need be but no, your wrong on that one
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Double_a914's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 640
I'm assuming that at this point its too late to have them tinted without getting a new paint job, right?
__________________
- Aaron
Double_a914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 6,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_a914
I'm assuming that at this point its too late to have them tinted without getting a new paint job, right?
You are correct sir.
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Lookin2buy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atthehop View Post
Any good body shop will blend the new painted surface into the older areas especially on a vehicle that is older and the paint is not new.
That would be ALOT more money to do...they can hang the doors and spray them in no time flat....to blend would require masking off the entire jeep...many many more labor hours.

In addition to variants in the color (I came across a Ford metallic charcoal that had 37!) the clearcoat could make a slight difference too...

Anytime you're painting something at a different time than the rest, you run the risk of it not matching...the longer, the higher the risk...
Lookin2buy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boise
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14sh3r View Post
Whoever owned the doors took them off during nice weather, so they haven't been exposed to the sun as much as the rest of the vehicle. It's pretty common.
Exactly. That's why I like White!

I'm wondering if a good body/paint shop could rub the old paint to bring out the old color?
Couldn't hurt to take it in to a shop near you and ask...
BoiseTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbman View Post
They will if you pay for it. If joe blow comes in and wants his doors painted for his jeep but doesnt want to pay to blend adjacent panels and all the extra masking, guess what, im not gonna take it in the shorts and do it just for shits n gigs. Ill spend a little time tinting if need be but no, your wrong on that one
You are correct, working in the repair business we always added blend time In order to save having customer complaints.

__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
full doors , help advice , paint , yellow

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC