Help plan 8.8 build PLEASE - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 717
Help plan 8.8 build PLEASE

I have the 8.8 sitting and waiting. I want to run a 3" lift with 1.25" BL. I would also like to do a tummy tuck. I will run 35" tires. I just neew help picking out the parts. I change my mind each time i think about it but i think im set on just 3" lift and 35" tires. The jeep is and will be a DD for some time still yet so


SHould i run MC duraflex arms? Would it really do anything for me as im only going up 3" (not including tire size gain)?

Which springs and shocks to get?

What all do i need to make a true 3" lift?

Any help at all would be great


Thanks guys

__________________
04 Rubi 5 speed RE4.5 LA 37 BFG 4.88 Chromoly Axles HD Clutch Cage Currie HD Steering PSC HD Gear Box Viair HD OBA Armor ARB Diff Covers Tube Fenders OR-FAB Carrier SuperWinch K&N MagnaFlow Rhino Lined and i find more daily
BUILT and READY
mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,118
I'm not even going to bother replying with "you need __________ to run those 35's"...simple answer is you cant run 35's on 3" of lift.

So...

here: Read this to run your 35's

I want to run 35's on my TJ - JeepForum.com

Read this for your tummy tuck

So you want a Tummy Tuck... - JeepForum.com

And this for your 8.8 build

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/are-...wap-92569.html


Enjoy your reading...and if you plan to do your own thing...go for it

Owen_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,339
I am building my Jeep (almost done) pretty much the same way you want to go. I would suggest:
8.8 and SYE (SYE is needed to off set the offset pumpkin on the 8.8 to eliminate vibes, even if the pinion is perfect you could still have vibes because of the off set) I regeared the front and the 8.8 at the same time of the install and did the lift at the same time as well. Chase set my pinion to the lift. As for the lift, I went with the BDS 3 inch lift and 1 inch Daystar bodylift and JKS motor mount lift.
I am waiting on my Currie adj. control arms to come in and my Teraflex belly pan is already here. Hopefully I will have my belly up finished by next weekend.
I also put in the Currie Correctlynk in as well as an adjustable track bar.
I put in heavy duty pads and rotors the last time I did brakes. As soon as I wear out my 33's I am going to go with different fenders and 35's. I am not sure yet on what brand fenders yet, I am sure I don't want the arched, (personal preference) I may just do the high line fenders and hood because I really like the classic TJ fender look, and the Mrs. hates the flat fender look.
I would also suggest reading the above links.
NC Bear is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_TJ View Post
I'm not even going to bother replying with "you need __________ to run those 35's"...simple answer is you cant run 35's on 3" of lift.

So...

here: Read this to run your 35's

I want to run 35's on my TJ - JeepForum.com

Read this for your tummy tuck

So you want a Tummy Tuck... - JeepForum.com

And this for your 8.8 build

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/are-...wap-92569.html


Enjoy your reading...and if you plan to do your own thing...go for it
Its a good thing i asked about how to run 35" tires.
__________________
04 Rubi 5 speed RE4.5 LA 37 BFG 4.88 Chromoly Axles HD Clutch Cage Currie HD Steering PSC HD Gear Box Viair HD OBA Armor ARB Diff Covers Tube Fenders OR-FAB Carrier SuperWinch K&N MagnaFlow Rhino Lined and i find more daily
BUILT and READY
mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 717
I know 35's dont just fit on it. I am going to do all the things needed to run the 35's. I was asking about the lift. I dont know what all to get as far as a lift goes.

NC Bear thank you. I knew the 8.8 was offset but didnt think i had to have the sye. I see now that i do. So the fact the i will need the sye either way i go i will look into a larger lift. ANY IDEAS of lift (keeping in mind that i want MC arms)
__________________
04 Rubi 5 speed RE4.5 LA 37 BFG 4.88 Chromoly Axles HD Clutch Cage Currie HD Steering PSC HD Gear Box Viair HD OBA Armor ARB Diff Covers Tube Fenders OR-FAB Carrier SuperWinch K&N MagnaFlow Rhino Lined and i find more daily
BUILT and READY
mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
TheJeepKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 114
My dad recently did a tummy tuck on his 4" lift and had a hell of a time getting the right angles on his drive shaft so that he didn't have vibes. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't go any higher than 4" of lift without getting a DC
TheJeepKing is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,118
i'm a fan of keeping the center of gravity a bit lower...i'm running a 3" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, tube fenders, flat flares, and have 35x12.5's on. I have about 9" of clearance from the top of the tire to the tube fender in front and 11.5" in the rear.

I'm also running an iron rock steering system, ford 8.8, front chromoly shafts, 4.88 gears, and black magic brakes.

In 2 weeks (waiting for the rest of the parts) i'm putting in upper and lower rear control arms, rear adjustable track bar, sye, tom woods shaft, and 4" front springs.

I'm sure even then i'll need more to run everything correct...then its sitting time because i've spent WAY too much money lately.

Tummy tuck after that, though
Owen_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeepKing View Post
My dad recently did a tummy tuck on his 4" lift and had a hell of a time getting the right angles on his drive shaft so that he didn't have vibes. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't go any higher than 4" of lift without getting a DC

I was told not to go above 3 inch on a suspension lift if I wanted to do a TT for this very reason. Especially with the 8.8.
NC Bear is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
TheJeepKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bear View Post

I was told not to go above 3 inch on a suspension lift if I wanted to do a TT for this very reason. Especially with the 8.8.
I would recommend that. Like I said, my dad took about a month trying to get the right angles and took his driveshaft in 3 times before finally getting it all right. A 3 inch lift with an SYE is the highest I would go
TheJeepKing is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bear View Post

I was told not to go above 3 inch on a suspension lift if I wanted to do a TT for this very reason. Especially with the 8.8.
Keep in mind it's not just suspension lift that effect drive line angles it's actual change in the relationship between the tcase output and the pinion. This can be vertical as in a tummy tuck or laterally such as the differential offset of the 8.8.
When thinking vertically one must account for what I call total lift. For example, if you have 3" SL and a 3"TT you have changed the tcase/pinion relationship by 6" or 6" of total lift.
One other thing, if you have a SL and plan on using a high clearance skid, I recommend a SS SYE. This will allow a bit longer DS to ease the angle and avoid DS bind. Even a DC shaft has its limits.
__________________
Mama's: '14 JKU Freedom Billet Silver, Trail Rated
Mine: '15 JK Willys Wheeler Billet Silver, Trail Ready!
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
5spdftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemounlio View Post
I know 35's dont just fit on it. I am going to do all the things needed to run the 35's. I was asking about the lift. I dont know what all to get as far as a lift goes.

NC Bear thank you. I knew the 8.8 was offset but didnt think i had to have the sye. I see now that i do. So the fact the i will need the sye either way i go i will look into a larger lift. ANY IDEAS of lift (keeping in mind that i want MC arms)
If you're not willing to spend money on stuff like an SYE, adjustable control arms/track bars, steering, brakes, gearing, etc. to get it done right and reliably you are most certainly NOT ready to make the move up to 35s. If you don't know what needs to go into a good, complete, quality lift, you need to do more research before getting in over your head and screwing up other components.
__________________
2002 Apex
4.0L 5spd, D30/D44, AlloyUSA, OX, TenFactory, ARB, Atlas, Currie, Savvy, 35" Kevlars
5spdftw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ View Post
Keep in mind it's not just suspension lift that effect drive line angles it's actual change in the relationship between the tcase output and the pinion. This can be vertical as in a tummy tuck or laterally such as the differential offset of the 8.8.
When thinking vertically one must account for what I call total lift. For example, if you have 3" SL and a 3"TT you have changed the tcase/pinion relationship by 6" or 6" of total lift.
One other thing, if you have a SL and plan on using a high clearance skid, I recommend a SS SYE. This will allow a bit longer DS to ease the angle and avoid DS bind. Even a DC shaft has its limits.

good point sir
NC Bear is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
harryhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdftw View Post
If you don't know what needs to go into a good, complete, quality lift, you need to do more research before getting in over your head and screwing up other components.
I think that's why he's asking the question.
harryhood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
5spdftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhood View Post
I think that's why he's asking the question.
I think that's why everyone is saying to do more independent research, it would literally take me hours to type out everything about just bolt on short arms, leaving out custom setups and long arms.
__________________
2002 Apex
4.0L 5spd, D30/D44, AlloyUSA, OX, TenFactory, ARB, Atlas, Currie, Savvy, 35" Kevlars
5spdftw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 717
No money is going to be spent till i have a full plan of what is needed to make this happen. I was asking about the lift so that I CAN look up all the items on my own. If i dont know to read about the (????BAR) how am i going to learn about it?

No long arm, no 4 link, no off the wall you should try this stuff. I simply want to raise it to get better flex and more height. I want to do it the right way tho.
__________________
04 Rubi 5 speed RE4.5 LA 37 BFG 4.88 Chromoly Axles HD Clutch Cage Currie HD Steering PSC HD Gear Box Viair HD OBA Armor ARB Diff Covers Tube Fenders OR-FAB Carrier SuperWinch K&N MagnaFlow Rhino Lined and i find more daily
BUILT and READY
mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,339
I am very happy with my BDS, regardless of what some on the forum, (well only one guy) says about them. For the money it can't be beat.
NC Bear is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
5spdftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemounlio View Post
No money is going to be spent till i have a full plan of what is needed to make this happen. I was asking about the lift so that I CAN look up all the items on my own. If i dont know to read about the (????BAR) how am i going to learn about it?

No long arm, no 4 link, no off the wall you should try this stuff. I simply want to raise it to get better flex and more height. I want to do it the right way tho.
If you have a decent budget, I would always suggest calling up Gerald at Savvy. He would get you set up right.
__________________
2002 Apex
4.0L 5spd, D30/D44, AlloyUSA, OX, TenFactory, ARB, Atlas, Currie, Savvy, 35" Kevlars
5spdftw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 717
Guess ill give him a call Thank you

__________________
04 Rubi 5 speed RE4.5 LA 37 BFG 4.88 Chromoly Axles HD Clutch Cage Currie HD Steering PSC HD Gear Box Viair HD OBA Armor ARB Diff Covers Tube Fenders OR-FAB Carrier SuperWinch K&N MagnaFlow Rhino Lined and i find more daily
BUILT and READY
mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC