Hello, I have a 2006 Wrangler X with 82,500 miles on it. I have never had a problem with it, until yesterday. here's the scenario:
my jeep will not turn over using the key, and when jumping the starter, the engine turns over normally but will not start.
to add to the confusion, when this initially stranded me I was able to bump-start it, but only after many attempts and building up a good bit of speed on a long downhill. pushing it at a running pace was not enough to get it running.
turning the key will result in a click from a relay under the dash on the passenger side.
Here's what I HAVE done already:
1. checked out the battery with a load tester, checked out fine. also turned on headlights and turned key to start, hear click but headlights stayed bright.
2. checked the starter relay and starter fuse in the control box under the hood, both checked out fine using a meter, and putting new relay and fuse in had same results.
3. tried putting in the clutch override fuse, which did nothing, even with the transfer case in 4-lo. it did light up the 4wd light on the dash.
4. removed clutch safety switch, tested it for continuity (which tested good), and jumped the plug with a wire.
5. jumped the starter with a screwdriver, and it cranks normally, but will not start. key is in the on position.
Has anyone else had a problem like this? anyone know what to do? Please help! thank you!