HID or not? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
bpowa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 836
where did you buy these bulbs.. My beam pattern is not like that.. although the HID low does seem to slope down to the right.

I really like the beam pattern of the halogen low..

bpowa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
tobycat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sac town
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0l sahara View Post
I'm 16 that make you feel better?
Guess I'm not the youngest

__________________
myspace.com/bigtanner
tobycat1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
JK Rouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowa View Post
where did you buy these bulbs.. My beam pattern is not like that.. although the HID low does seem to slope down to the right.

I really like the beam pattern of the halogen low..
In reality, the two low beam patterns are nearly identical with the intensity being increased by an order of magnitude. If it appears any different in my pictures it is a function of the camera auto exposure.

Also, you may have noticed that my beam patterns don't have the hockey stick shaped kick pattern seen in many euro headlamps because they are installed in an FJR1300 (motorcycle) and it is the headlamp bucket that makes that pattern, not the HID capsule. The FJR has a two headlight bucket designed to use a pair of H4 halogen headlamp bulbs.

As you can see in the pictures I posted previously of the telescopic 2 capsules, the shield is symmetrical, covers almost 180 degrees and is located below the capsule when installed. Light is broadcast radially (perpendicular) from the capsule and hits the reflector of the headlight bucket which causes the beam to be inverted as it is broadcast. That's how the shield being below the light emitting capsule ends up giving you a sharp cut-off on the top of the broadcast beam.

Here's a picture of an H4 halogen bulb:



If you look closely you will see it has two separate filaments. The one closest to the base of the bulb has no shield behind it and is for the high beam. The second one, closer to the tip of the bulb, has a shield that covers roughly 180 degrees below the filament and is symmetrical just like the HID shield.

What I'm saying is that if you have euro headlamp buckets with a "kicked" pattern in your jeep now and you install the HID bulbs you'll still have that pattern.
JK Rouge is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
However something to remember is REAL HID bulbs dont have any wires inside them. They are all outside. This separates the real HIDs from the halogens that are painted to shine like hids (bluish tint)
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #35
Jeeper
 
erickpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,305
Send a message via AIM to erickpl
My BMW 6 series had 4300k lights in them and I think my wife's Audi has the same 'temperature' rating at 4200 or 4300k. I got a set of HID lights from eBay in the 6k range. They were what they called diamond white (a bit more blue hue). Yeah, they looked cool, but if improperly put together, they will cause hell on your electrical.

When I installed them in my Avalanche, it caused my lights to flicker badly, then when I shut off the truck, it continued to flicker - it looked like a police car strobe. Killed my battery in less than 1 minute too. I wasn't willing to risk my electrical system's reliability for the HID's. These were some of those lesser priced sets you can find on ebay. If you feel the need to do HID's, then go with a quality set.

If I could find a way to make my BMW's steering sensitive xenon's work in my TJ, I'd LOVE to adapt em, but I don't see that as likely.
__________________
-Paul

-97 TJ with a few mods. PM with questions.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...reenjeep2a.jpg
erickpl is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #36
Jeeper
 
JK Rouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
My BMW 6 series had 4300k lights in them and I think my wife's Audi has the same 'temperature' rating at 4200 or 4300k. I got a set of HID lights from eBay in the 6k range. They were what they called diamond white (a bit more blue hue). Yeah, they looked cool, but if improperly put together, they will cause hell on your electrical.

When I installed them in my Avalanche, it caused my lights to flicker badly, then when I shut off the truck, it continued to flicker - it looked like a police car strobe. Killed my battery in less than 1 minute too. I wasn't willing to risk my electrical system's reliability for the HID's. These were some of those lesser priced sets you can find on ebay. If you feel the need to do HID's, then go with a quality set.

If I could find a way to make my BMW's steering sensitive xenon's work in my TJ, I'd LOVE to adapt em, but I don't see that as likely.
Sounds like they were installed wrong or were defective. I have a set of eBay HIDs and they work flawlessly. None of the aftermarket systems would have the steering sensitive aiming.
JK Rouge is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
erickpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,305
Send a message via AIM to erickpl
exactly... they WERE defective... sometimes you get what you pay for. I wasn't willing to risk my Avalanche's electrical on their reliability.
__________________
-Paul

-97 TJ with a few mods. PM with questions.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...reenjeep2a.jpg
erickpl is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
exactly... they WERE defective... sometimes you get what you pay for. I wasn't willing to risk my Avalanche's electrical on their reliability.
Simple solution, you call the people and you tell them they dont work and you demand an exchange.

Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
hid

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC