How exactly do you break an axle? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
How exactly do you break an axle?

I have a Dana 30 in front and 35 in back how do people break them so much? I have 35s and lockers are mine going to be easy to break.. Just recently lifted my jeep and came into the offroad world and don't know much about axles

__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Was in the mountains, now in Texas
Posts: 3,671
Images: 4
Yes that rear end is already on borrowed time. 35's and lockers in the rear will tear the Dana 35 apart. The front end is usually okay with the Dana 30 as it does not see the torture the rear end will have. The Dana 35 has a 27 spline axle shaft and the Dana 44 has a 30 spline. A little more diameter has huge strength gains. I would get a Dana 44 or carry spare shafts and know how to change out the c-clip axles.

__________________
2000 Sahara, 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift, 1" spring spacer & 1" Body Lift, 33" or 35" BFG Mud tires, Front & Rear ARB, Rancho 9000 shocks, UCF Ultra High Belly Up

doclouie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclouie View Post
Yes that rear end is already on borrowed time. 35's and lockers in the rear will tear the Dana 35 apart. The front end is usually okay with the Dana 30 as it does not see the torture the rear end will have. The Dana 35 has a 27 spline axle shaft and the Dana 44 has a 30 spline. A little more diameter has huge strength gains. I would get a Dana 44 or carry spare shafts and know how to change out the c-clip axles.
thanks what do you think about the super 35 kit? And do you have to get different lockers if you buy the kit?
__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 60
How do they break?

Oversize tires, abuse, jumps, impacts, severe throttle/direction changes.
AlexInYT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInYT View Post
How do they break? Oversize tires, abuse, jumps, impacts, severe throttle/direction changes.
so do you think a Dana 44 is worth it? And if I get one I'll get a g2 that's locked and all would you recommend them?
__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
TX_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_james View Post
I have a Dana 30 in front and 35 in back how do people break them so much? I have 35s and lockers are mine going to be easy to break.. Just recently lifted my jeep and came into the offroad world and don't know much about axles
I'm in the same boat as you. Stuck with the turdy-five and being a high school kid I have limited cash. I want to move up to 33's but I just don't know if it can handle the pressure, and I'm sure it can't....
__________________
THE AMERICON

2006 Jeep TJ Light Khaki
2 In. Skyjacker Suspension Lift
PowerTech 4.0L I-6 With Some Upgrades
TX_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
JeepLax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 47
Images: 1
I wheel 33's on a dana 35 but there 10x.50 A/T's while certainly not ideal I really can't complain for now to be honest
JeepLax is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 5,250
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_TJ View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Stuck with the turdy-five and being a high school kid I have limited cash. I want to move up to 33's but I just don't know if it can handle the pressure, and I'm sure it can't....
I've been rock crawling an open Dana 35 on 12" x 33" tires for the past three years without any broken axles. You have to be aware of the limitations of the axle, and drive accordingly. Use a light foot on the gas, low gears, and a little finesse, and the 35 will be fine. Just don't put a locker in it, and if you get an opportunity to upgrade, take it. Usually if something goes on the 35, it's an axle, which are pretty easy to replace and fairly inexpensive.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_TJ View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Stuck with the turdy-five and being a high school kid I have limited cash. I want to move up to 33's but I just don't know if it can handle the pressure, and I'm sure it can't....
yep having a jeep in highschool sucks I'm right there with ya man...no cash
__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_TJ View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Stuck with the turdy-five and being a high school kid I have limited cash. I want to move up to 33's but I just don't know if it can handle the pressure, and I'm sure it can't....
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.



There's an ARB in the D35 that's in the rear of this Jeep. It's a 1999 and hasn't had work done since 2000. Guy wheels in Moab twice a year every year. And he romps on it more than I do. A lot of it is understanding those conditions in which your driving will break something.

Also, I understand there is a difference in terrain. Us guys in Utah on the slickrock have it easy. Grip is everywhere. But I still believe that you can keep from breaking your D35 even with those fancy 33" tires.
leemastergt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 163
99 times out of 100 when a dana 35 breaks its because the driver was being stupid.

Also the super kit is very under rated. You replace the stock 27 spline axle shaft and put in chromolly 30 spline shafts, they are the EXACT same size as whats used in dana 44s and ford 8.8s. Not to mention its only about 150 more then buying a case locker by itself.

Also do not believe people who tell you 8.8 are cheaper then doing a super 35, the only way to get an 8.8 for about the same price is to keep the stick carrier which means no locker, a super 35s puts a locker in there.

edit: BTW i have been on the old style heavy 35X12.50R15 Goodyear MT/Rs for over 8 years on a dana 35.
Eckoh is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Just gunna buy a g2 Dana 44 when the 35 breaks or before.
__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_james View Post
Just gunna buy a g2 Dana 44 when the 35 breaks or before.
careful with that i know of 3 different people who have spun the tubed on the g2 dana 44s.
Eckoh is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Majnoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckoh View Post
careful with that i know of 3 different people who have spun the tubed on the g2 dana 44s.
I was looking into these. What's spun the tubed mean? I assume there is a typo involved somewhere and I'm not poking fun at that. Just want to know what happened to these three people. Thanks in advance.
Majnoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majnoon View Post
I was looking into these. What's spun the tubed mean? I assume there is a typo involved somewhere and I'm not poking fun at that. Just want to know what happened to these three people. Thanks in advance.
yeah I wanna get these heard there good but just like the ultima batteries I heard they are good but suck now compared to what they where...I should research them more than I have but my uncle runs G2 dana 60s with 37 in iroks and electric lockers and they seem to be doing well since he wheels a lot
__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Majnoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 3,144
I got one old As dirt optima (7 years) and it's fine and a 2 year old Mexican one that's fine. I'm about to start posting such when I here them bashed. They are not junk.
Majnoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majnoon View Post
I got one old As dirt optima (7 years) and it's fine and a 2 year old Mexican one that's fine. I'm about to start posting such when I here them bashed. They are not junk.
sorry about that it's just everyone refers to them as junk compared to like a diehard platinum...I was about to buy one until what I read on some threads...
__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Majnoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_james View Post
sorry about that it's just everyone refers to them as junk compared to like a diehard platinum...I was about to buy one until what I read on some threads...
I might to after those threads but my Experience is otherwise. Some people bash anything non American on here IMHO.

Edit: it's in their sig block too.
Majnoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majnoon View Post
I might to after those threads but my Experience is otherwise. Some people bash anything non American on here IMHO.
yeah that's true!
__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 3,437
Just get heavy on the pedal, then get it bouncing, and create a good shock load and ...............
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 12:59 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
JohnDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 848
How do you ask?
Drive into a man made riven, realize it's significantly steeper and harder to get out of than to get in, put it in 4L, throttle, and boom.
You've got yourself a broken axle.
(True story.. Unfortunately)
__________________
2004 Wrangler TJ X, and a bunch of stuff
JohnDoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
JohnDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjndjjden View Post
thanks what do you think about the super 35 kit?
Just find a d44 at a salvage yard, payed 900 for mine
__________________
2004 Wrangler TJ X, and a bunch of stuff
JohnDoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #23
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 5,250
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Just find a d44 at a salvage yard, payed 900 for mine
Then pay another $600-$800 to get it regeared, and another $1000 for the ARB, and for less you could have bought a new one geared right with the ARB already installed.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
JohnDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
Then pay another $600-$800 to get it regeared, and another $1000 for the ARB, and for less you could have bought a new one geared right with the ARB already installed.
Touché my good friend. BUT my point still stands, I'd rather spend money on a dana 44 rather than put money into a dana 35, I think we can agree on that?
__________________
2004 Wrangler TJ X, and a bunch of stuff
JohnDoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
TX_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckoh View Post
99 times out of 100 when a dana 35 breaks its because the driver was being stupid.

Also the super kit is very under rated. You replace the stock 27 spline axle shaft and put in chromolly 30 spline shafts, they are the EXACT same size as whats used in dana 44s and ford 8.8s. Not to mention its only about 150 more then buying a case locker by itself.

Also do not believe people who tell you 8.8 are cheaper then doing a super 35, the only way to get an 8.8 for about the same price is to keep the stick carrier which means no locker, a super 35s puts a locker in there.

edit: BTW i have been on the old style heavy 35X12.50R15 Goodyear MT/Rs for over 8 years on a dana 35.
This just helped a lot thanks!! What company do y'all think would be the best to order it from when the time comes?
__________________
THE AMERICON

2006 Jeep TJ Light Khaki
2 In. Skyjacker Suspension Lift
PowerTech 4.0L I-6 With Some Upgrades
TX_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #26
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckoh View Post
99 times out of 100 when a dana 35 breaks its because the driver was being stupid.

Also the super kit is very under rated. You replace the stock 27 spline axle shaft and put in chromolly 30 spline shafts, they are the EXACT same size as whats used in dana 44s and ford 8.8s. Not to mention its only about 150 more then buying a case locker by itself.

Also do not believe people who tell you 8.8 are cheaper then doing a super 35, the only way to get an 8.8 for about the same price is to keep the stick carrier which means no locker, a super 35s puts a locker in there.

edit: BTW i have been on the old style heavy 35X12.50R15 Goodyear MT/Rs for over 8 years on a dana 35.
The Explorer 8.8 (commonly adapted to Jeeps) is a 31 spline axle stock and larger than a D44 and D35. Not splitting hairs, just keeping the facts straight for those that don't know.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majnoon View Post
I was looking into these. What's spun the tubed mean? I assume there is a typo involved somewhere and I'm not poking fun at that. Just want to know what happened to these three people. Thanks in advance.
a spun tube is when the center section spins on the tubes, so that the brackets are right the the pumpkin spins.

here is a picture

Eckoh is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ View Post
The Explorer 8.8 (commonly adapted to Jeeps) is a 31 spline axle stock and larger than a D44 and D35. Not splitting hairs, just keeping the facts straight for those that don't know.
the 8.8 is 1.31 inches in diameter so is a super 35 and dana 44 they just have 1 more spline cut into the end.

1 more spline same diameter.
Eckoh is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_TJ View Post
This just helped a lot thanks!! What company do y'all think would be the best to order it from when the time comes?
just ick which every company you lke with the axle shafts, most all make them, the ARB you want is the ARB RD105, that is their part number for the 30 spline dana 35 locker.
Eckoh is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #30
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckoh View Post
the 8.8 is 1.31 inches in diameter so is a super 35 and dana 44 they just have 1 more spline cut into the end.

1 more spline same diameter.
Acually 1.32.
" Are the 8.8 shafts stronger than Dana 44 shafts? Yes, also the bearings, pinion and ring gear are also much larger. Axleshaft Strength and output torque rating by Warn and 4 Wheeler

The axle shaft strength tested by Warn Ind: F8.8= 6,500 (lb. ft.) D44= 4,600-5,000 (lb. ft.) D35C= 4,000-4,300 (lb. ft.) -------------------------------COT: Continuous output torque rating MOT: Maximum output torque rating

(Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.) Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480 Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460 Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600 Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100 Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500]"
Technicality I'm correct, but I should've said stronger.

__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC