How to find out gears?? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 188
How to find out gears??

How do I find out my gearing on my 98 4L with the d35?

CJYJTJJK is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
I luv bourbonz!
 
02Prove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bartlett, TN
Posts: 3,094
Look on the diff cover... should be a stamped plate on there somewhere.

__________________
"So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey."
W. C. Fields
02Prove is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
WINNAR!!!!!!
 
MR.CLIFFORD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: THE PROVING GROUNDS
Posts: 6,660
Spin the tire one complete revolution. Count how many times the pinion rotates. ~3.5 turns = 3.55s. A little less than 4 turns = 3.73s. Over 4 turns = 4.10 and so on and so on.
MR.CLIFFORD is online now   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 188
It says 41356 on the diff, what does that mean?
CJYJTJJK is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
WINNAR!!!!!!
 
MR.CLIFFORD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: THE PROVING GROUNDS
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJYJTJJK View Post
It says 41356 on the diff, what does that mean?
That is the code that tells you to spin the tire one full rotation and count the rotations of the pinion. Only way to be 100% sure what is in it.
MR.CLIFFORD is online now   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD View Post
That is the code that tells you to spin the tire one full rotation and count the rotations of the pinion. Only way to be 100% sure what is in it.
Wheres the pinion?
CJYJTJJK is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
WINNAR!!!!!!
 
MR.CLIFFORD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: THE PROVING GROUNDS
Posts: 6,660
Hooked up to the yoke that is hooked up to your drive shaft.
MR.CLIFFORD is online now   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
50Johnbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Deer Park, Tx
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJYJTJJK View Post
How do I find out my gearing on my 98 4L with the d35?
Check out this link, be sure to read the tips & warnings
http://www.ehow.com/how_12156231_calculate-gear-ratios-rotating-rear-wheel.html
50Johnbob is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
aka Oscar@JeepsOnTrails
 
lee indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Middle Georgia
Posts: 5,741
or register on jeep.com and go to owners and punch in your vin and it will come up with the build sheet. but then you ahve to assume it hasnt been changed.
__________________
My Build Thread
lee indy is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee indy View Post
or register on jeep.com and go to owners and punch in your vin and it will come up with the build sheet. but then you ahve to assume it hasnt been changed.
I would try that but the PO swapped out a d35 from another wrangler because the old one went
CJYJTJJK is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Johnbob View Post
Check out this link, be sure to read the tips & warnings
http://www.ehow.com/how_12156231_calculate-gear-ratios-rotating-rear-wheel.html
Thanks I'll try that tomorrow. I didn't know the wheel had to be turned twice, I thought only once
CJYJTJJK is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 36,654
It's either 3.07 or 3.73. If your Jeep has plenty of power, odds are good it's 3.73. If it's a dog, it has the 3.07.

But... look on the front axle, odds are good its axle tag is still there. Look on the second row of numbers, you'll find the ratio as in the below tag that is showing 3.73.

Don't be surprised if it says 3.74 or 3.08 instead of 3.73 or 3.07, the TJ's front and rear axle ratios are .01 apart.

And with an open axle when both tires are off the ground, you have to rotate the tire twice to cause the pinion shaft to rotate the driveshaft a number of revolutions to equal the axle ratio. Be sure the transfer case has been shifted into Neutral before attempting this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle Ratio.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	121251  
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
It's either 3.07 or 3.73. If your Jeep has plenty of power, odds are good it's 3.73. If it's a dog, it has the 3.07.

But... look on the front axle, odds are good its axle tag is still there. Look on the second row of numbers, you'll find the ratio as in the below tag that is showing 3.73.

Don't be surprised if it says 3.74 or 3.08 instead of 3.73 or 3.07, the TJ's front and rear axle ratios are .01 apart.

And with an open axle when both tires are off the ground, you have to rotate the tire twice to cause the pinion shaft to rotate the driveshaft a number of revolutions to equal the axle ratio. Be sure the transfer case has been shifted into Neutral before attempting this.
The tag on my rear axel reads 2111760AB on the first row, and 07 5993-1 on the second row. Any ideas what that could mean? I know it's not the factory axel, it was swapped out of another wrangler by the PO
CJYJTJJK is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 36,654
Read your tag a little more carefully or clean it off better... I'm betting that '07' is actually saying '3 07'.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Read your tag a little more carefully or clean it off better... I'm betting that '07' is actually saying '3 07'.
Yep you were right, the tag was bent so it was tough to see the 3. Is 3.07 too low to run 33s?
CJYJTJJK is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 36,654
I wouldn't even consider trying to run 33" tires with 3.07. I wouldn't even like running 30" tires with 3.07.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I wouldn't even consider trying to run 33" tires with 3.07. I wouldn't even like running 30" tires with 3.07.
Ouch, I'm running 31x10.5s now and not having any problems
CJYJTJJK is offline   Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 36,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJYJTJJK View Post
Ouch, I'm running 31x10.5s now and not having any problems
"Not having any problems" is all relative. If you drove a Jeep properly geared for that size tire, I think you'd probably no longer be happy with your current gearing.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC