Increasing Your Horsepower? Read - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 317
I run heavy duty, extended spine CV shafts from Tom Woods. And I mounted my engine so the transfercase is in the stock location. The engine is also tight to the firewall. Fits like it was always ment to be there

Hemi YJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #62
Jeeper
 
rattycaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartland, WI
Posts: 76
Ah ok just wondering

rattycaddy is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #63
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
This is a little disappointing, I realize no one is drag racing jeeps, but I was hoping someone might have had something to offer from experience. I'm not trying to do anything crazy but getting another 5-10hp to the wheels without changing my gear ration would be nice for highway driving. Got anything?
Cyl3nc3 is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #64
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyl3nc3 View Post
This is a little disappointing, I realize no one is drag racing jeeps, but I was hoping someone might have had something to offer from experience. I'm not trying to do anything crazy but getting another 5-10hp to the wheels without changing my gear ration would be nice for highway driving. Got anything?
Post #3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
1. Cam swap. Requires new valve springs specific to the cam duration to be installed. Requires a piggyback chip to tune. If you pull the head for this, you might as have a machine shop do a 3-angle valve job and port it.
...
#1 will get you around 15-20hp/20 ft-lbs.
...
The cam swap will run around $1k by the time you're done.
...
Also note the cam swap requires pulled the entire front of the jeep apart. Everything has to come off...radiator, front grill, everything on the front of the motor, including the timing chain.
UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 317
For 5-10hp I wouldn't even waste my time. But you could run an electric fan and get rid of the mechanical one.
Hemi YJ is offline   Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #66
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 5
I gotta '99 4.0l tj. I'm not trying to smoke people on 1/4 mile, I don;t race. But I would like to up the HP a bit just for kicks. I'm getting a bored out TB and I already have a wider exhaust(I know, exhaust is pretty useless by itself). If I did go the turbo route, would I have to strengthen any other components in the trans, drive shaft etc? I have a d44 in the back. Also, should I bother getting a port job done on the head? Basically, what do I need to know before considering a turbo?
fgwilson99 is offline   Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #67
Jeeper
 
Black98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South East PA
Posts: 379
if you get bigger tires period regearing is the only option that makes sense. If you have stock size wheels and are looking to not get passed by that prius good bolt-ons do work togather. Ive got headers, catback, shop bored 62mm TB, and CAI. These mods have undoubtly helped my 3.07 geared 5-speed sitting on 30s. I made these mods to get better power in my upper rpms and the wheels squealing for grip into 2nd and the chirping into 3rd has proven its point to me. I dont think these mods will help much at all on the 2.5L, as the stock intake and exhaust seem more than adequite for the smaller engine. I also prefer the stock intake box for offroading as it has an excellent design for keeping the filter less dusty and dry. These mods are not just "marketing scams" but i wouldnt reccomend spending your money on them over useful offroad items if thats how you use your jeep. Sinking money into power mods will do nothing for you if your just not geared properly. Sadly my jeep is my dd and the most action it sees are 2 foor deep unplowed roads. But, I really don't miss losing to minivans before the lane merge and am happy with my power mods.
Black98 is offline   Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #68
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgwilson99
I gotta '99 4.0l tj. I'm not trying to smoke people on 1/4 mile, I don;t race. But I would like to up the HP a bit just for kicks. I'm getting a bored out TB and I already have a wider exhaust(I know, exhaust is pretty useless by itself). If I did go the turbo route, would I have to strengthen any other components in the trans, drive shaft etc? I have a d44 in the back. Also, should I bother getting a port job done on the head? Basically, what do I need to know before considering a turbo?
All the money that you are talking about spending you could get more power and a fraction of the money doing a V8 swap.
Hemi YJ is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #69
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 5
I don't off road with my jeep so I don't have to consider that stuff, but I have 30" wheels and 373 axles. All the stuff you mentioned (TB, CAI, better headers etc) I'm up to speed on. Should I bother regearing with a 373? What about the port job on the heads? Is that worth it?
fgwilson99 is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #70
RCB
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyl3nc3 View Post
This is a little disappointing, I realize no one is drag racing jeeps, but I was hoping someone might have had something to offer from experience. I'm not trying to do anything crazy but getting another 5-10hp to the wheels without changing my gear ration would be nice for highway driving. Got anything?
Yes, headers will get you a few ponies, depending on your current setup. polished, smooth intake well net you a couple more.

Another one is to ditch your clutch fan (if you have one) and go to all electric. that can get you up to 5hp back (on some motors, even more then that)

How many accessories are you running? If you can drop down to a smaller alternator, that's a couple more.
RCB is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #71
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB

Yes, headers will get you a few ponies, depending on your current setup. polished, smooth intake well net you a couple more.

Another one is to ditch your clutch fan (if you have one) and go to all electric. that can get you up to 5hp back (on some motors, even more then that)

How many accessories are you running? If you can drop down to a smaller alternator, that's a couple more.
All this money for what, maybe 10hp, if that? How can that possibly be worth it in a JEEP. Do an engine swap, or get a civic...
__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #72
RCB
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 241
The electric fan swap costs less than $50. Couple hundred for a header. Intake... no idea, I just mod my own if I need to. The Alternator might set you back if you really want to go that route. An engine swap done correctly is more than a thousand. In fact, usually 2 or 3 thousand and up. Yeah you could used a ragged out motor... but why?

I think there is merit in using what's already there.

But, if 35's are going to give way to 38s or larger a regear or repower might well be in order.

I don't know on the 231's (never have bothered) but on several Tcases you can fab a second tcase to get your down REALLY low if you want.
RCB is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #73
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frankfort Kentucky
Posts: 71
I think if your that worried about power sell the jeep and buy a sports car......
Whitetj00 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #74
Newb
 
KCBrooks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
Man, you just need a cold air intake. I made this one myself!
haha oh wow.
__________________
2005 WHITE TJ Sport, TURBOCHARGED 4.0L, 42RLE, 4" RC lift, TC Drop, 33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Bedlinered Procomp 15" Wheels, Grill, Jeep Front Trim, and Cowl. Smoked Signals, KC Apollo Windshield Lights, KC Front Fogs
KCBrooks9 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #75
Jeeper
 
Weekend Jeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black98
if you get bigger tires period regearing is the only option that makes sense. If you have stock size wheels and are looking to not get passed by that prius good bolt-ons do work togather. Ive got headers, catback, shop bored 62mm TB, and CAI. These mods have undoubtly helped my 3.07 geared 5-speed sitting on 30s. I made these mods to get better power in my upper rpms and the wheels squealing for grip into 2nd and the chirping into 3rd has proven its point to me. I dont think these mods will help much at all on the 2.5L, as the stock intake and exhaust seem more than adequite for the smaller engine. I also prefer the stock intake box for offroading as it has an excellent design for keeping the filter less dusty and dry. These mods are not just "marketing scams" but i wouldnt reccomend spending your money on them over useful offroad items if thats how you use your jeep. Sinking money into power mods will do nothing for you if your just not geared properly. Sadly my jeep is my dd and the most action it sees are 2 foor deep unplowed roads. But, I really don't miss losing to minivans before the lane merge and am happy with my power mods.
Just curious how much did all this run you?

Weekend Jeeper is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VERY cool read about a Belgian's expedition through the Congo! Jerry Bransford Off-Topic 3 12-15-2010 02:12 AM
December issue of "Off Road Adventures". must read Wrangler1212 General Jeep Discussion 4 12-01-2010 11:50 AM
This is embarassing. How to read tire size? InvertChaos TJ General Discussion Forum 34 09-26-2010 11:18 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC