I just finished installing my Rokmen rear bumper today, so I thought I would share a few pictures. The installation was straight forward, but it was a little bit more in depth than I was expecting. Once I was done, I was VERY happy with the strength of the new bumper and how well it fit.
For the installation: The first step was to put a coat of primer on the new bumper since it comes from Rokmen as raw steel. I didn't put a final coat of paint on at this point because I knew that I would scratch the paint during the test fit.
After removing the old bumper I decided to install the Rokmen frame tie-in brackets. They bolt through the frame and are very simple to install. The brackets only require drilling one hole. I also removed my rear body mounts too.
At this point I put the bumper on the rear cross member to see how it lined up, and I hit a few problems. First, I noticed that the rear bolts that hold the gas tank skid plate needed to be taken out so the longer bolts from Rokmen could be put in. The bolts sit in a weird location behind the gas tank on the rear cross member. After trying everything I could think of to get the new bolts in without dropping the tank I finally gave in and dropped the tank down and moved it out of the way. Since I had the tank out, I decided to take some time to clean and sand my frame rails, spring perches, rear cross member above the gas tank, and control arm brackets, etc. Once everything was cleaned up I put a few coats of Eastwood rust encapsulator on and then top coated with flat black enamel.
The second problem I noticed was that the bumper didn't sit flush like it should. The reason was because the back of the shackles stuck out about a 1/2 inch, so I needed to cut notches in the cross member to make room for the shackles and allow the bumper to fit correctly.
Here is the back of the shackle sticking out of the back of the bumper
here is a picture of a frame notch
Once the frame was cut, the bumper fit perfect. For the next step, I checked all of the bumper mounting holes and honed out any holes that were not 100% lined up. After that, I put a final coat of paint on the bumper, touched up any scratches, and began bolting the bumper on once the paint was dry.
The last step was to re-install my rear body mounts and put the gas tank back in.... So, here is the final product...
I am really happy with the way the bumper looks, and I can't wait to use the tow points. The bumper and the support brackets seem strong enough pull the jeep out of any problem without worrying that I am going to rip the bumper right off.
Jeff at Rokmen was great to work with when I was ordering all of my parts. I picked up a Rokmen tummy tuck along with my bumper but I don't have the tummy tuck installed yet. I will post a few pictures as soon as I have it completed.