Installing a 2" BB - Questions? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
MbRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 517
Installing a 2" BB - Questions?

I will be installing the TeraFlex 2" BB this week but had a question. I've read a few sites including 4x4xplor.com regarding the install and I think I have a handle on doing it. What I want to know -- Is it a safe practice to jack the Jeep up from the differential? I have read in a few places that I should jack the Jeep from the differential and then place my jack stands behind (or in front - depending on location) of the Control Arms. I just don't want to screw anything up. Thanks in advance.

__________________
2005 LJ - Black - Hardtop; 2" BB; 32" Cooper STT on 15x8 Black D-window Rims
1994 YJ - Green - Dual Top (Retired) Living life of luxury in TN
www.ddoffroad.com
MbRich is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
jtalar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: VEGAS
Posts: 415
Images: 4
You should be fine with the application described above, what does the BB come with?

__________________
jtalar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
rbraden1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blackwell, OK
Posts: 233
Send a message via ICQ to rbraden1970
you can jack it up by the differential but you will have to put it on jack stands on the frame so that the axle can move, but you probably knew that. I did the same install last year. On the front I used a ratchet strap to the bumper to pull the front axle into place get the sway bar to line up easier. A spring compressor also makes things easier. The front has a small 3/4 to 1 inch think spacer in the front from the factory. I left mine in..Just my 2 cents. It was fairly easy as the shock nuts were not rusted and came off easier. If I remember I used my jack on the opposite side to raise the axle so that removing and installing the springs
went easier.
rbraden1970 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
MbRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtalar View Post
You should be fine with the application described above, what does the BB come with?
Mine does not include the shocks but does include the coil spacers, the bumpstop extentions, and bolts for bumpstops. I'm going to replace the shocks later this summer when the "bank" gives me a spending authorization.

Thanks
__________________
2005 LJ - Black - Hardtop; 2" BB; 32" Cooper STT on 15x8 Black D-window Rims
1994 YJ - Green - Dual Top (Retired) Living life of luxury in TN
www.ddoffroad.com
MbRich is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
MbRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbraden1970 View Post
you can jack it up by the differential but you will have to put it on jack stands on the frame so that the axle can move, but you probably knew that. I did the same install last year. On the front I used a ratchet strap to the bumper to pull the front axle into place get the sway bar to line up easier. A spring compressor also makes things easier. The front has a small 3/4 to 1 inch think spacer in the front from the factory. I left mine in..Just my 2 cents. It was fairly easy as the shock nuts were not rusted and came off easier. If I remember I used my jack on the opposite side to raise the axle so that removing and installing the springs
went easier.
Thanks, I think I'm going to start on this tonight after work.
__________________
2005 LJ - Black - Hardtop; 2" BB; 32" Cooper STT on 15x8 Black D-window Rims
1994 YJ - Green - Dual Top (Retired) Living life of luxury in TN
www.ddoffroad.com
MbRich is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
n00bkiller944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: VA 703/757
Posts: 161
Post some pics of you doing it and some tips on what worked best please! I am thinking about doing this soon! Also maybe a before and after lift pictures just to see how much difference you can actually see if you dont mind!

Thanks
n00bkiller944 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
MbRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Post some pics of you doing it and some tips on what worked best please! I am thinking about doing this soon! Also maybe a before and after lift pictures just to see how much difference you can actually see if you dont mind!

Thanks
I will try to do that - I know I saw another thread - that shows a video of someone putting theirs on - it was edited to show only the steps, not the trouble - but it seemed useful - I'll try to find the link and place it here
__________________
2005 LJ - Black - Hardtop; 2" BB; 32" Cooper STT on 15x8 Black D-window Rims
1994 YJ - Green - Dual Top (Retired) Living life of luxury in TN
www.ddoffroad.com
MbRich is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MbRich View Post
I will try to do that - I know I saw another thread - that shows a video of someone putting theirs on - it was edited to show only the steps, not the trouble - but it seemed useful - I'll try to find the link and place it here
If I had made a video of mine it would not have been rated PG (R - language and alcohol consumption). I cursed at every dang bolt that was stuck. Front shocks gave me the most trouble because they were so rusted and stripped. I didn't realize until after I was done that it was possible to remove the bumpstops prior to the coils. That would have saved some time and energy.
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
MbRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ
If I had made a video of mine it would not have been rated PG (R - language and alcohol consumption). I cursed at every dang bolt that was stuck. Front shocks gave me the most trouble because they were so rusted and stripped. I didn't realize until after I was done that it was possible to remove the bumpstops prior to the coils. That would have saved some time and energy.
The video I saw didn't include sound - it was edited with captions at the bottom of the screen. I had to pause it to read cause it went by so quick. I looked for the video before leaving work - I'll try again when I get home - it's hard to search with this iPhone app.
__________________
2005 LJ - Black - Hardtop; 2" BB; 32" Cooper STT on 15x8 Black D-window Rims
1994 YJ - Green - Dual Top (Retired) Living life of luxury in TN
www.ddoffroad.com
MbRich is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
MbRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 517


Not sure if it will show as a link or not - doing this from my phone. This is the video I saw in one of the other threads
__________________
2005 LJ - Black - Hardtop; 2" BB; 32" Cooper STT on 15x8 Black D-window Rims
1994 YJ - Green - Dual Top (Retired) Living life of luxury in TN
www.ddoffroad.com
MbRich is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 878
Jack it up really high and block the chassis that way you can jack one side of the sxle up which gives you the room to remove and install the BB and spring on the otherside but watch your brakelines so you dont stretch or kink them
__________________
Pincho De Lapiz
ou812 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
MbRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 517
Well nothing happened last night - wife didn't feel well and made a doctor's appointment for the evening. So...hopefully I can do something tonight.
__________________
2005 LJ - Black - Hardtop; 2" BB; 32" Cooper STT on 15x8 Black D-window Rims
1994 YJ - Green - Dual Top (Retired) Living life of luxury in TN
www.ddoffroad.com
MbRich is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
StinkyMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Roselle, IL
Posts: 485
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
Jack it up really high and block the chassis that way you can jack one side of the sxle up which gives you the room to remove and install the BB and spring on the otherside but watch your brakelines so you dont stretch or kink them
This is GREAT advice!!! A floor jack located on the opposite side of the axle you are working on will help immensely when installing the spacers and springs. As you raise the jack on the opposite side, the axle will drop on the side you are working on. Because of this we did NOT need a spring compressor on our "04"
__________________
"Here, hold my beer. I wanna try something"

Jeff & Angel http://ddoffroad.com/
- 2004 TJ SE 2.4 5 speed, 3" lift with 31's
- 1989 YJ 4.2 5 speed, with 7" lift and 33's
StinkyMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 4,929
Images: 1
While people will say you do not need it, it will make it a lot easier. Get a spring compressor. You and get them as free loaners from Autozone, Pep Boys and others. You want an external strut type compressor. If you have an impact (elec or air) it makes it super fast and easy.

__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
budget boost , lift install

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie installing a lift some questions styyy TJ General Discussion Forum 8 02-09-2011 08:35 AM
Installing new CB and have some questions G-Pur Communications and Electronics 9 10-18-2010 02:17 PM
Newbie -> 2" BB questions... AustinJeff JK General Discussion Forum 6 01-28-2008 10:28 AM
2" Lift Questions Sahara97 TJ General Discussion Forum 14 05-31-2007 12:12 AM
More questions on affordable 2" lifts 03Leo TJ General Discussion Forum 30 10-03-2006 06:47 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC