Installing arb air locker in d35... - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #31
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I have been calling them for two weeks, no answer to my calls & emails, and the employees have been let go. R.I,P. Superior Axle.
NOOOO!!! Say it isn't so!! I was planning future mods with their axle shafts!! This is very disappointing. Terrible way to start a Tuesday.

__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
Jberg85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 31
Okay... My shafts I posted before I bought on ebay came in today (30 spline chromoly). I'm going to order the locker to go with it today... As the title states I'm looki g at the arb for the rear. Just out of curiosity what do you have Jerry?

Jberg85 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #33
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,807
Images: 2
I used to run a Detroit Locker (which I loved) in my previous (stolen) TJ... I'm now running Rubicon axles with Rubicon air lockers. I'd rather have my Detroit Locker back.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
Jberg85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 31
Hmm... Detroit locker over the arb you think? How come?
Jberg85 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Jberg85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I used to run a Detroit Locker (which I loved) in my previous (stolen) TJ... I'm now running Rubicon axles with Rubicon air lockers. I'd rather have my Detroit Locker back.
Jerry...

I keep reading how bad the detroits are if you use the jeep on regular roads too.

My jeep is not my primary, but I do enjoy using it sometimes around town.

What was your primary use for your old tj, and did you like the detroits because of performance over your air?
Jberg85 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #36
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,807
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberg85 View Post
Jerry...

I keep reading how bad the detroits are if you use the jeep on regular roads too.

My jeep is not my primary, but I do enjoy using it sometimes around town.

What was your primary use for your old tj, and did you like the detroits because of performance over your air?
20 years ago, Detroit Lockers had a bad reputation for their poor behavior on the street. Then about that time, Detroit came out with the redesigned current and much improved Detroit Locker that is MUCH better behaved... it is also known as the Detroit Softlocker since it is so much softer acting than it used to be. So those comments about how badly a Detroit Locker behaves on the road were either very old or written by folks who have never actually owned one.

My '97 TJ was a daily driver & I put over 120K miles on its rear Detroit Locker. It was so behaved that I mostly forgot it was even installed. It takes a day or two to learn how it likes to be driven to produce its best behavior but it comes quickly. Those who rode with me didn't even know I had a Detroit Locker, it was that well behaved. Only occasionally would it give a mild 'lurch' or 'pop' which would only make me smile as I was reminded of its presence. Other than those very minor quirks, the Detroit Locker is by far the best behaved automatic locker available.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
Jberg85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
20 years ago, Detroit Lockers had a bad reputation for their poor behavior on the street. Then about that time, Detroit came out with the redesigned current and much improved Detroit Locker that is MUCH better behaved... it is also known as the Detroit Softlocker since it is so much softer acting than it used to be. So those comments about how badly a Detroit Locker behaves on the road were either very old or written by folks who have never actually owned one.

My '97 TJ was a daily driver & I put over 120K miles on its rear Detroit Locker. It was so behaved that I mostly forgot it was even installed. It takes a day or two to learn how it likes to be driven to produce its best behavior but it comes quickly. Those who rode with me didn't even know I had a Detroit Locker, it was that well behaved. Only occasionally would it give a mild 'lurch' or 'pop' which would only make me smile as I was reminded of its presence. Other than those very minor quirks, the Detroit Locker is by far the best behaved automatic locker available.
How about for the front? What do you have?
Jberg85 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
Jberg85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 31
Is this the same you have for the rear Jerry?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...FQgFnQodAjYA5A
Jberg85 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #39
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,807
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberg85 View Post
How about for the front? What do you have?
In the previous TJ I had a rear Detroit Locker in, it had a Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberg85 View Post
Is this the same you have for the rear Jerry?

Detroit Locker Part EAT162C66A - Dana 35 Super Detroit Locker
No, that is for a Dana 35 with hardened alloy aftermarket 30 spline axle shafts. The stock Dana 35 comes with carbon steel 27 spline axle shafts.

My Detroit Locker was in my previous TJ's Dana 44 rear axle I installed which eventually got upgraded alloy 30 spline shafts.

My current TJ has f/r Rubicon axles, air lockers, and Superior Axle alloy axle shafts.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,902
Im running a Aussie up front & Eaton in my 35,superior shafts.
So Jerry,have you gotten ahold of someone at Superior? Recently me & a buddy bought the 35 kit & had lots of issues ordering.Just wondering if we got some of the last of there stuff.
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #41
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,807
Images: 2
I have called Superior over a dozen times in the past 10 days & there was no answer to my calls or emails. I was told by someone who is in the know that all their employees except the owner were recently let go.

I am feeling fortunate I was able to get my rear replacement axle shafts from Superior Axle a few months ago before they stopped being able to deliver orders.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #42
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,902
How in the world could that happen?They are,or were the biggest axle company I know of.What gives??
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #43
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,807
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr View Post
How in the world could that happen?They are,or were the biggest axle company I know of.What gives??
While Superior Axle had a very big presence, they were actually a small company, less than ten employees so far as I know.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,902
But doesent that mean less overhead if there are not many employees(mouths to feed) I dont get it.But thats not official yet.There site is still up.
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
Jberg85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 31
Jerry

I think I am wanting for of a selectable locker as I will go into some snow / ice when I go up north hunting in my jeep. I here horror stories about full time locked and snow / ice control problems.

That being said... Would you go for the arb, ox, or?
Jberg85 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #46
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberg85 View Post
Jerry

I think I am wanting for of a selectable locker as I will go into some snow / ice when I go up north hunting in my jeep. I here horror stories about full time locked and snow / ice control problems.

That being said... Would you go for the arb, ox, or?
Can I answer for him.Im psychic ya know.....ARB. How'd I do?
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #47
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,807
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr View Post
Can I answer for him.Im psychic ya know.....ARB. How'd I do?
Your psychic powers are indeed awesome.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #48
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Your psychic powers are indeed awesome.
LOL,sorry,I just couldent resist
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #49
Jeeper
 
Jberg85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 31
Lol, yes now I just saw a thread of Jerry saying he'd never get ox. Arb it is... I'm ordering today.
Jberg85 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
Jberg85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 31
Alright... I ordered the arb air locker for my rear, along with a high performance twin arb compressor... Goodbye $2k including with the chrome ally shafts.
Jberg85 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #51
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,807
Images: 2
There is nothing quite like the shhzz-clunk of an ARB locking to get everyone's head swiveling towards your Jeep in envy.

__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC