Jackin' up the TJ and gear ratio - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
Jackin' up the TJ and gear ratio

Alrighty, so I'm changing my breaks and need to know how tall my jack must be to lift the TJ off the ground... I have a 4" lift and am running 33" tires. Any recommendations for a good hydraulic jack and stands? I just need to lift it enough to get a tire off and on.

ALSO, I have a 4.56 gear ratio in the back and am not sure how to tell what I have in the front since I got it from the PO this way... is there a way to tell just by looking?

I'm looking to get it re-geared so I can actually use the 4WD, however, I don't plan to off-road it a lot, maybe occasionally; my biochem degree takes up most of my time, but last winter sucked and I'd love to have at least the option NOT to get stuck on a hill in snow . Is there a suggested gear ratio I should be looking into? Is there a gear ratio that can improve gas mileage, as my TJ is my DD?

Thanks

crushsteffy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,452
Images: 2
If you jack up your axle 1" with your stock factory jack, your tire will be off the ground 1". At the most, a couple inches is all you need so you can get the tires off and work on your brakes (not breaks). The factory jack is good for tire sizes up to 35" and actually 37" in a pinch.

What makes you think the front axle was not regeared to 4.56 like the rear axle was?

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Plowboy1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burlington WI
Posts: 1,187
4.56 in the rear. And you don't know what is in the front?????????????? Does 4 wheel work or not????? PO should have had the gears changed in the front too, unless he is stupid. What happens when you put it in 4 wheel drive???
Plowboy1970 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,452
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 View Post
What happens when you put it in 4 wheel drive???
Only do that offroad, shifting into 4x4 on pavement will cause it to steer badly as well as buck and lurch.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Plowboy1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burlington WI
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Only do that offroad, shifting into 4x4 on pavement will cause it to steer badly as well as buck and lurch.

I know that. Been driving 4 wheels for over 20 years.
Plowboy1970 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,452
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 View Post
I know that. Been driving 4 wheels for over 20 years.
Right, I was adding to your advice you gave to the OP... it wasn't directed at you.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
SirGeorgeKillian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,282
Images: 2
Plus if the axle gears are mismatched, doing so offroad will be a little more forgiving...
SirGeorgeKillian is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Plowboy1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burlington WI
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Right, I was adding to your advice you gave to the OP... it wasn't directed at you.
Sorry. Ya, I should have said. Stopped, on gravel, put in 4 wheel, drive slow, what does it do. Can't assume he would listen to me and do it at 40 MPH......ouch!!!!!

Sorry.
Plowboy1970 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushsteffy
Alrighty, so I'm changing my breaks and need to know how tall my jack must be to lift the TJ off the ground... I have a 4" lift and am running 33" tires. Any recommendations for a good hydraulic jack and stands? I just need to lift it enough to get a tire off and on.

ALSO, I have a 4.56 gear ratio in the back and am not sure how to tell what I have in the front since I got it from the PO this way... is there a way to tell just by looking?

I'm looking to get it re-geared so I can actually use the 4WD, however, I don't plan to off-road it a lot, maybe occasionally; my biochem degree takes up most of my time, but last winter sucked and I'd love to have at least the option NOT to get stuck on a hill in snow . Is there a suggested gear ratio I should be looking into? Is there a gear ratio that can improve gas mileage, as my TJ is my DD?

Thanks
Jack up the front, spin the tire 2 revolutions and count the drive shaft rotations.

Edit: what engine and transmission do you have?

__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3.75 gear ratio Gmasih Tires & Wheels 0 08-14-2011 10:14 AM
Quick Question for Gear Ratio burton160w TJ Tech Forum 2 12-11-2010 06:34 PM
Gear Ratio Help z59av37w1b TJ General Discussion Forum 4 10-09-2010 04:50 PM
gear ratio?????? tma300 TJ Tech Forum 7 09-18-2010 10:11 AM
Which Gear Ratio Dan JK Tech Forum 7 07-22-2009 10:23 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC