so this is what's been going on with my scenario...
2005 Rubicon Unlimited
2"RE Lift w\teraflex tummy tuck on 33x12.50R15.. TB spacer and flowmaster.
I'm new to jeeps, just converted from land rovers (thank god) and my jeep, (bought from Mt.Zion Offroad in Dover PA, 77XXX miles) is my first manual vehicle. that said, I'm actually pretty good at using a clutch given my experience riding quads, dirtbikes and occasionally having to steal my buddies ride to grab a pack of smokes or something.. (so I'm not worried that it was my newb shifting at all.)
After about two weeks of buying my rig I realized that something just wasn't right, and it wasn't just the temp variations given this crazy weather we've been having in the northeast.. upshift from 1st to 3rd, mostly 3rd to 4th was "choppy" and felt like it grinded 3-5 teeth per shift without any noticable "grinding" sound (I just had the doors and sunrider mostly topless today).
After some research here and elsewhere I decided that my tranny fluid probably needed changing and a little bit of lucas. (although I'm not sure how it does with the NSG370 and all.. any thoughts on that? searching's proven inconclusive and I tend to lucas everything I can)
This morning I was warming the engine up as I always do out of habit from owning my Disco and I noticed a rattling sound sort of like when you hear a jap 4 banger's exhaust manifold heatsink come loose, and something just didn't "feel" right about the sound.. so, I pushed in the clutch a little bit and the sound definitely responded proportionally to the amount of clutch depression.. so I figured what the hell, and didn't think *that* much of it.. so whatever, went out did some errands, and on my last stop I literally shut the engine for 5 mins, got back in, turned the key and nothing. Did the key dance, no faults to be found. Checked the fuses, they were all good to go.. grounded the CPPS, nothing. Did the clutch override fuse trick, nothing. So...
I jumped the starter straight from the battery, no response. Autozone, 15 minutes and a new starter and relay. Installed both, still nothing. Jumped the starter again and but it was just spinning, the solenoid engaged (I think, well 98.4% sure)...... no idea what to do now in DIY terms, and thank god it's still under a 3k warranty from Mt. Zion...
\\I apologize for the lengthy explaination, I just figure it's better to write like i'm talking to other people, instead of a faceless cloud of knowledge