Jeep is turtled... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
MrTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 225
Jeep is turtled...

So friends,

A few weeks ago, I come home from a day of work to find a huge pile of dirt piled into the driveway behind my house where I normally park my jeep. I called the landlord, and he said " Well, technically that's not YOUR parking spot, it's kind of a first come first serve, and we needed a place to put the dirt, so that's where we put it." This angered me a little, so after stewing over it, I thought to myself " I'll just park on top of it over the weekend while I'm not using the jeep - that'll show him! ". So I did.

However, this morning, when I started up the jeep to roll forward and get off the pile, I think I turtled myself. I can't get off the dirt pile The back wheels will just spin and screech on the driveway - the jeep will push forward, like it's wanting to go, but I think I just don't have enough cleareance to make it all the way over and now I'm stuck. Only have a 2" lift on 30/9.5/15 tires, so not exactly a hardcore setup.

Any thoughts on how to get myself out? I was just going to go at it with a shovel tonight at some point, but was hoping I could do it without all the neighbors laughing at me....

Thanks for any and all help!

MrTurtle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
SurfKaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 1,503
Now that's funny. We need a pic. You mention the back wheels spinning, but not the front. Did you engage 4WD? Will the front wheels bite?

SurfKaster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Wattapunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,848
Do you have it in 4WD? Have you tried backing it up instead of going forward?
Wattapunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
speedyrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 189
Put it in 4Low, put boards under the back wheels to drive on to give you an inch or two of lift.
speedyrev is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
jeeps4u2nv88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 118
You def need to post a picture!
jeeps4u2nv88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
MrTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 225
I did engage the 4wd, and it didn't look the front wheels were biting at all and I tried all three different modes. Not sure what it is...

Won't be able to get a pic until tonight at the earliest, and I may have to photoshop it to make it look like a mountain so I'm not the laughinstock of the forum.

The boards idea was something I thought might work, but wasn't sure.
MrTurtle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Jeep Ninja

WF Supporting Member
 
scgeek12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 1,825
subscribed for the photo
__________________
"if it aint broke, fix it till' it is!"
my build- http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/scge...ad-117592.html
scgeek12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
MrTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgeek12 View Post
subscribed for the photo
Only if you promise to laugh in secret and not publicly. I have no idea how it got stuck. It doesn't make sense, it looked like something I would just roll over like an anthill!
MrTurtle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
mackdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tropical Nova Scotia
Posts: 30,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgeek12 View Post
subscribed for the photo
x2
mackdj1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
jeeps4u2nv88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspiritoSanto View Post
Only if you promise to laugh in secret and not publicly. I have no idea how it got stuck. It doesn't make sense, it looked like something I would just roll over like an anthill!
Don't worry buddy, it happens to the best of us. Just make sure when you get it unstuck you do it in style.
jeeps4u2nv88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Jeep Ninja

WF Supporting Member
 
scgeek12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspiritoSanto View Post
Only if you promise to laugh in secret and not publicly. I have no idea how it got stuck. It doesn't make sense, it looked like something I would just roll over like an anthill!
Lol deal! cant say I have ever been in that situation, but definetly similar ones lol!
__________________
"if it aint broke, fix it till' it is!"
my build- http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/scge...ad-117592.html
scgeek12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Duckquackers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,362
subscribed for the Mountain climb!
__________________
Truth, Honesty, and Courage means tell the truth do what's right and achieve what needs to be done. Rock to rock puddle to puddle.
Tread Lightly Member
Duckquackers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
flflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspiritoSanto View Post
so I'm not the laughinstock of the forum.
It may be a bit to late for that
flflash is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
tallzdatank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,045
get a friend, get a recovery rope, or tow strap and pull it out.
tallzdatank is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
T2000J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckquackers View Post
subscribed for the mountain climb!
x3
__________________


JEEP WRANGLER
T2000J is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
MississippiDirtTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bucksnort, N MS
Posts: 129
__________________
---Eric
'04 TJ X. 4.0 5spd. Half cab hard top. LuK PG clutch. 3" cobbled up lift. 31" BFG KM2s. Cut fenders. VR8000-s. Lockright. Couple'a KCs. Some trick wiring. Smitty. Currie. Home brew seat risers, foot pegs, and LED tail lights. Bedliner everywhere.
"A clean Jeep is a lie."
MississippiDirtTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Evpjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 365
Images: 1
Hook your winch cable to your landlords rig and yell fire! :-)
Evpjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 123
When i read turtled i figured you rolled it.....bottoming out isn't that big of a deal but i do want to see pictures

What is going to be really funny is when your landlord comes by and sees your jeep perched precariously on top of his freshly dumped dirt pile
Flyfisher76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: central pa mountains
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2000J View Post
x3
x4
ztman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Arod_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 84
x5
Arod_3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
mackdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tropical Nova Scotia
Posts: 30,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher76 View Post
When i read turtled i figured you rolled it.....bottoming out isn't that big of a deal but i do want to see pictures

What is going to be really funny is when your landlord comes by and sees your jeep perched precariously on top of his freshly dumped dirt pile
Yup! A pic of the landlords face would be a bonus
mackdj1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,021
Look on the bright side, at least it isn't stuck on a dirt pile at the mall I'm just messing with you man. But I've gotta see these pictures too

And definitely try the old board trick, it should help. But make sure no one is standing around in case you spin a tire and one of them shoots out.
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
MrTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by PStov98TJ View Post
Look on the bright side, at least it isn't stuck on a dirt pile at the mall I'm just messing with you man. But I've gotta see these pictures too

And definitely try the old board trick, it should help. But make sure no one is standing around in case you spin a tire and one of them shoots out.
Good point - that would bring way to much shame to the Jeep name. I'm off work at six, so it'll be a while before pictures, but they shall come!
MrTurtle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
MrTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdj1 View Post
Yup! A pic of the landlords face would be a bonus
The dirt has been there for about a week and a half with no one coming to do anything with it - I was kind of hoping today would be they day they had scheduled to actually put the dirt to use and either a.) not be able to do anything about it and have to waste a day or b) dig out the jeep for me!
MrTurtle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #25
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 4,835
Subscribed.


Don't feel bad dude. Last Friday I was backing onto the grass in front of the local hooters for happy hour, right in front of the deck/patio.

Felt the rear wheels hop the curb, followed by a LOUD crash, followed by my tires spinning in the air. At first I thought I'd backed over a Prius.

I look over and the entire deck is looking at me. I somehow managed to back over a large rock that was in the grass. I was prob about 2 feet tall and had managed to high center on it.

At that point I wasn't worried about damage, I just wanted to get the heck out of my embarrassing situation. Dropped it in 4WD and the front tires managed to pull me off, after a lot of scraping.

I hung my head in shame and drove around back to park. Looked underneath and luckily all was well. Looked like my rear diff rode over the rock and the rock landed on the skid.

If I had not had such a large audience I would have taken picks of me on the rock.

Long story short, it happens.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
President, ThumbJeeps

WF Supporting Member
 
sevenservices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan/Thumb
Posts: 3,947
I have an idea to get it out but I'm holding off until you post pics to share it with you.

LOL, seriously, just shovel the dirt from behind the front tires so they are not being stopped and back it out. Shouldn't be to bad to shovel two small tracks to drive it off. Or, let the air out of your tires for traction, down to about 18-20 pounds. And be sure its engaging four wheel drive.

If your back tires are spinning, let the air out of em. They'll grab a lot easier. And try to run the throttle without letting the rubber break loose. If its a manual, you may have to ride the clutch a little bit, just don't over do it. You'll be amaized how much better your tires grab with only half the air in them. Even on pavement.
__________________
-Chris
President, ThumbJeeps
CB Callsign "AirForce One"


1994 Wrangler YJ I6 4.0 H/O Auto 3 spd. 4" RC (33x12.5) (15x8) 3:54 Gears
sevenservices is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Zdrisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 172
Been there, done that!
X..20? On the pics!

If you have something sturdy around, wrap a recovery strap around it and the other end around a tire. This method isn't recommended but if there's no other way... SLOWLY pull yourself out.
Zdrisko is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
MrTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post
Subscribed.


Don't feel bad dude. Last Friday I was backing onto the grass in front of the local hooters for happy hour, right in front of the deck/patio.

Felt the rear wheels hop the curb, followed by a LOUD crash, followed by my tires spinning in the air. At first I thought I'd backed over a Prius.

I look over and the entire deck is looking at me. I somehow managed to back over a large rock that was in the grass. I was prob about 2 feet tall and had managed to high center on it.

At that point I wasn't worried about damage, I just wanted to get the heck out of my embarrassing situation. Dropped it in 4WD and the front tires managed to pull me off, after a lot of scraping.

I hung my head in shame and drove around back to park. Looked underneath and luckily all was well. Looked like my rear diff rode over the rock and the rock landed on the skid.

If I had not had such a large audience I would have taken picks of me on the rock.

Long story short, it happens.


Haha, appreciate it. Nice to know I'm in good company. Second time in 8 months I've been stuck........I need to get bigger tires.......
MrTurtle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
MrTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenservices View Post
I have an idea to get it out but I'm holding off until you post pics to share it with you.

LOL, seriously, just shovel the dirt from behind the front tires so they are not being stopped and back it out. Shouldn't be to bad to shovel two small tracks to drive it off. Or, let the air out of your tires for traction, down to about 18-20 pounds. And be sure its engaging four wheel drive.

If your back tires are spinning, let the air out of em. They'll grab a lot easier. And try to run the throttle without letting the rubber break loose. If its a manual, you may have to ride the clutch a little bit, just don't over do it. You'll be amaized how much better your tires grab with only half the air in them. Even on pavement.
That's a good idea - I should've thought about it, but I was pissed off and already running late for work. I'll have to try that tonight. Last time I got stuck I did that and it helped a lot, but I was also so deep in the mud that I had to take the tires off the wheels and clean them because they wouldn't seal to keep air in them. At least it's just dry dirt and rocks this time.
MrTurtle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
connochr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 228
My friends father did that a long time ago. He had a rock driveway and had a pile of rock to be spread out dumped in the driveway while he was at work. When he came home (tired I guess) he drove over it with his Ford Taurus. He tried pulling it off, pushing it off and in the end he handed us shovels and 100 dollars to dig it out. Of course it wasn't a Jeep but still might be the only way in your situation.

connochr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC